Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 9:17:49 PM EDT
Years ago when I quit lifting I gave my bars to a friend.  Now that I've started again, I have 2 crappy generic bars that I need to replace - I keep one in my rack for bench and squat, the other on my deadlift platform.  I am not a competitive powerlifter and I do no Olympic style weightlifting at all.

I am thinking of a nice stiff bar for the rack, and something with decent whip for the DL.  Corrosion resistance is important to me.  I don't care if the bar is center knurled as long as it will still stick well when I squat (low bar).

I am thinking of the Rogue Ohio Power Bar in stainless for my squat and bench bar.  I have never had a stainless bar before - anything I should know?

I am looking at the Ohio Deadlift Bar in Cerakote for the DL.  Any experience with a Cerakoted bar?  I am curious how much I'll wear the sleeves, all my plates are iron, no bumper plates right now although I may get some in the future.

I'm open to other recommendations as well, just seems like the bars above are decent bars at a good price.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
We had a Texas deadlift bar at my gym for a bit and it was awesome. If you've never used one of the deadlift bars (27mm, longer shaft, heavy knurling, whippy) you're going to notice a huge difference compared to a generic bar. I think I was able to add about 30lbs to my DL compared to a generic 28.5mm gym bar.

Have you looked at the B&R bar for the rack?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had a Texas deadlift bar at my gym for a bit and it was awesome. If you've never used one of the deadlift bars (27mm, longer shaft, heavy knurling, whippy) you're going to notice a huge difference compared to a generic bar. I think I was able to add about 30lbs to my DL compared to a generic 28.5mm gym bar.

Have you looked at the B&R bar for the rack?
View Quote
Nope, I've never used a special DL bar; I am a little worried that the smaller diameter may make it painful to grip?

I looked at the B&R bar but it's only offered in bare steel, my home gym is in a MI basement and it would rust instantly.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a super crappy bar with a really rough knurl that is 29ishmm for bench and squat and I love it. The collars barely spin and the thing has zero percievable flex with 350 pounds on it. Have other, better bars for other things but damn if that piece of shit bar isnt amazing for what I use it for.
Food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my American Barbells, I have 2 now and they're very nice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The go to on /homegym seems to be a boneyard bar from Rogue if you can find them in stock.

I have a Texas Power Bar I got from a fitness supply locally that has been great so far. It was right about $300 with tax.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Ohio bar. Not power. If you want to do Olympic lifts it a good choice for all around.  I use it for squats, bench, cleans, press and other stuff.

I also have a Ohio deadlift bar. Great bar for deads. The knurl will eat your hands though, be aware.

Try to get them out of boneyard as you are going to mess them up soon enough anyway.

I live in humid environment and have a raw steel bar with no problems. I degreased it then blued it. Looks cool.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a super crappy bar with a really rough knurl that is 29ishmm for bench and squat and I love it. The collars barely spin and the thing has zero percievable flex with 350 pounds on it. Have other, better bars for other things but damn if that piece of shit bar isnt amazing for what I use it for.
Food for thought.
View Quote
I like a little flex on squats. The bar bends around me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Food for thought.
I can see that. This one is one of the thicker bars Ive used and has center knurl. Not saying ol boy shouldnt buy a good bar as much as the shitty ones can still be useful for certain things, which might change the dynamic of his decision.

For squats and bitch press, Ilike a thick bar, tons of knurl, and no flex. But thats just my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can see that. This one is one of the thicker bars Ive used and has center knurl. Not saying ol boy shouldnt buy a good bar as much as the shitty ones can still be useful for certain things, which might change the dynamic of his decision.

For squats and bitch press, Ilike a thick bar, tons of knurl, and no flex. But thats just my opinion.
View Quote
Why you pressing bitches?

Don't do it with an Ohio deadlift bar.  It is wobbly.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Ohio power bar if your not doing oly lifts. They have SS ones in the boneyard currently
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:58:51 AM EDT
[#11]
ive got an Ohio power bar, deadlift bar, and a regular Ohio bar. My OPB and DL bars are bare steel so I can't comment on how the stainless or cerakote would change them, but both are very well made barbells.

If I did it over, I probably would have just gotten the Ohio power bar. The DL bar does feel easier to grip on to and the knurling is a little bit more aggressive, but the OPB is able to do deadlifts just fine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have Ohio bar. Not power. If you want to do Olympic lifts it a good choice for all around.  I use it for squats, bench, cleans, press and other stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Does the lack of center knurl negatively affect your squats at all?  I've never squatted under a bar without center knurl - will I even notice a difference?

I also have a Ohio deadlift bar. Great bar for deads. The knurl will eat your hands though, be aware.

Try to get them out of boneyard as you are going to mess them up soon enough anyway.

I live in humid environment and have a raw steel bar with no problems. I degreased it then blued it. Looks cool.
That sounds cool as fuck - did you use a cold bluing solution or something?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both of those bars and love them. The deadlift bar is stainless and the power bar is black oxide or whatever. Great combo. But honestly I was just fine with only having the power bar.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Does the lack of center knurl negatively affect your squats at all?  I've never squatted under a bar without center knurl - will I even notice a difference?

View Quote
I've never had a problem with no center knurl.

Yeah, I used the brownells stuff.  It is cool.

You still need to oil it though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The gym I lifted at for a year and a half only had center knurl bars. Then I moved, and the new gym only had bars without it. I kind of prefer no center knurl now, it doesn't tear your back up as much. And it's way nicer when front squatting haha.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
No center knurling is better for front squats, cleans etc. I high bar and ive never noticed a problem without knurling, I prefer it now. Its easier on shirts too.

Regarding cerakoted bars, the gym just switched to neon green rogue bars to match the rest of the gym. I don't like the cerakote, it felt a tiny bit less grippy (even on the knurling) compared to a normal rogue finish. I've got a rogue 1.0 and prefer the standard blued or whatever finish they have.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the Texas power bar and Texas deadlift bar. Love them both.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No center knurling is better for front squats, cleans etc. I high bar and ive never noticed a problem without knurling, I prefer it now. Its easier on shirts too.

Regarding cerakoted bars, the gym just switched to neon green rogue bars to match the rest of the gym. I don't like the cerakote, it felt a tiny bit less grippy (even on the knurling) compared to a normal rogue finish. I've got a rogue 1.0 and prefer the standard blued or whatever finish they have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the center knurling. Higher end WL bars have very very mild center knurling that is just fine for cleans and front squats. Aggressive knurling would be bad though...
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Depends on the center knurling. Higher end WL bars have very very mild center knurling that is just fine for cleans and front squats. Aggressive knurling would be bad though...
View Quote
I'm sure you're right about that.

Every bar ive encountered in a base gym/crossfit gym with center knurling has been pretty aggressive on the no name gold's gym type bars. I've never (and most people haven't) lifted with a high end WL bar, eleiko etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Every bar ive encountered in a base gym/crossfit gym with center knurling has been pretty aggressive on the no name gold's gym type bars. I've never (and most people haven't) lifted with a high end WL bar, eleiko etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, so those would be PL bars- they tend to have more aggressive center knurling.

I know lots of people who lift on high end WL bars
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Just used my new Texas Power Bar for the first time. Light years ahead of my Cap bars!

We had one high end bar when I was in high school, I can't remember who made it though. It had the same feel/knurl as the TPB, though it was solid black bar and collars.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just used my new Texas Power Bar for the first time. Light years ahead of my Cap bars!

We had one high end bar when I was in high school, I can't remember who made it though. It had the same feel/knurl as the TPB, though it was solid black bar and collars.
View Quote
I've broken like 4 of those things.  Either the plastic bushing under the collar (which appears solid, and isn't) breaks, or the bar just bends.

CAP plates seem fairly sturdy so far.  The old ones.  The new style plates looks like a bag of dicks.  Ugly as hell.

My new Rogue bars are pure sex to handle.  I caress them and kiss them.  Daily.  I got the Ohio Power Bar in red Cerakote and the Deadlift bar in bare steel.  I plan to blue it.  Thanks KaiK for the idea.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've broken like 4 of those things.  Either the plastic bushing under the collar (which appears solid, and isn't) breaks, or the bar just bends.

CAP plates seem fairly sturdy so far.  The old ones.  The new style plates looks like a bag of dicks.  Ugly as hell.

My new Rogue bars are pure sex to handle.  I caress them and kiss them.  Daily.  I got the Ohio Power Bar in red Cerakote and the Deadlift bar in bare steel.  I plan to blue it.  Thanks KaiK for the idea.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will say this, I've never broken any of my three CAPS. Granted, I'm not throwing serious weight, upper 3's for squat and dead.

Those barbell breaking videos freak me out.

@PeteCO If you want a good deal on plain iron plates, Texas Strength Systems is taking pre-orders for used sets. They will be used in the Texas HS powerlifting season, then sold in March. From what I can tell, you get the standard set, then as many pairs of 45s as you want. They also have some racks, benches, and TPB's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I will say this, I've never broken any of my three CAPS. Granted, I'm not throwing serious weight, upper 3's for squat and dead.

@PeteCO If you want a good deal on plain iron plates, Texas Strength Systems is taking pre-orders for used sets. They will be used in the Texas HS powerlifting season, then sold in March. From what I can tell, you get the standard set, then as many pairs of 45s as you want. They also have some racks, benches, and TPB's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cap makes different types of bar too.

Some are similar construction to higher end bars and get good reviews, others are the cheap bolt on type that tend to break under regular use.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Some are similar construction to higher end bars and get good reviews, others are the cheap bolt on type that tend to break under regular use.
View Quote
Mine are the shitty ones that come with the 300lb sets
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one that came with a set, the sleeves are screwed together and bolted to the bar, the sleeves didnt take long at all to break, maybe a year.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have seen the CAP OB-86 "Beast" bar at a couple of the local supply places.  Quality looks better, but still not in the same class as the Rogue bars.

I have a crappy Fitness Gear bar, wonder what it would take to fold it in half?  Would make a cool wall hanger.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have seen the CAP OB-86 "Beast" bar at a couple of the local supply places.  Quality looks better, but still not in the same class as the Rogue bars.

I have a crappy Fitness Gear bar, wonder what it would take to fold it in half?  Would make a cool wall hanger.  
View Quote
I’ve had a cap ob86 beast bar for 2 years and have been impressed with the quality and its done everything I’ve asked of it. I also have a rogue Ohio power bar and rogue 2.0 bar and they’re awesome. If price isn’t a factor go with rogue but for someone looking for a solid barbell sub $150 to upgrade from their cheap 300lbs set id recommend the cap without hesitation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been using this one for a couple of years now.
It works for me. YMMV

Amazon Product
  • This Titan 86" Olympic Bar was designed to provide a solid 1500 lb capacity at an unbeatable price
  • Specs: 30mm grip diameter, 52" between collars, 45 lb weight, smooth chrome-finished collars, Olympic plate compatible, 86" long, 1500 lb capacity, outfitted with bushings and snap rings
  • ECONOMY: Recommended for home-use free weight exercises. Do not drop or throw.

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have been using this one for a couple of years now.
It works for me. YMMV

www.amazon.com/dp/B01LFU6JG2
View Quote
I would argue that the extra $120 is worth a bar that you can drop and is 28 or 29mm. But YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would argue that the extra $120 is worth a bar that you can drop and is 28 or 29mm. But YMMV.
View Quote
I have little doubt that my TPB will last as long as I need it to. $300 well spent.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought a Bomba Bar from Fringe Sport.  About $250.  They also have stainless steel bar, power bar, etc.  Lots of different bars.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got my cousin the same bar for $89 last year, but I wish I would have ponies up the extra cash and got a boneyard Ohio power bar.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Yummy.

Have you torn it apart and cleaned and lubed the bearings?  Would love to see pics of that.

Off to youtube I go....
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#37]
i have that bar but it's a little overkill for the op lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top