Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 12:09:17 PM EDT
Supposed to be a new model, anyone have it that can speak to quality or functionality? I searched for the old bf-f8hp and this came up with a lot of the same old features.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Im not a radio guy so does anyone know what operates at 220-225 mhz?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
1.25M
Amateur Radio
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
1.25 is strictly amateur radio

And it’s DEAD. So if you have buddies who can hit that freq, you’ll have it all to yourself.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Amateur radio If I'm not mistaken, another HAM radio band of frequencies.  Not to many repeaters being utilized yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the USB charger and the price looks good on Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
PLA approved.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Not includes USB charger
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Will it do any of those other channels that allow person to person talk without being HAM?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will it do any of those other channels that allow person to person talk without being HAM?
View Quote
Yes, but you can't do it "legally"

Just like you can't go over the speed limit on the Insterstate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not includes USB charger
View Quote

I came to post this. Lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's an amateur radio band, the 1.25M band.

And the 10 watt claim is most assuredly a lie. It's 5 watts nominal max.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I might be blind, but I am not seeing the 10 watt models on Amazon or any other sites.

Are the 8w and 10w models the same, just crappy Chinaman advertising materials? Does anyone have a part number for the 10w version?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I might be blind, but I am not seeing the 10 watt models on Amazon or any other sites.

Are the 8w and 10w models the same, just crappy Chinaman advertising materials? Does anyone have a part number for the 10w version?
View Quote

Im betting its just the chinaman exaggerating. Check out "project farm" 18650 battery review for more examples. Thats why i asked here before buying it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is no 10 watt version. And if you're lucky, the "8W" version will give you about 5.8 watts on high.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#17]
USB charging is nice.  I wish that Baofeng USB battery eliminators were a thing, since the vast majority of USB ports put out 11 watts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I mean its Beofeng, so it transmitts across all 3 bands at 3.33 watts at once, so they call it 10W.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Butt Fuck radios are useful for 2 things.

-Cheapo receiver to monitor channels for intel. China doesnt follow the FCC very strictly so you can play on some frequencies not as easily accessible on other HTs.

-Transmitting / Receiving line of sight or pretty damn close on MURS / FRS / GMRS channels , think adult walkie talkie.

They always exaggerate wattage and are known to bleed over to other channels. Bleed over means you are disturbing other users, personally I want to minimize my footprint.

Comms are something that are worth spending money on
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is no 10 watt version. And if you're lucky, the "8W" version will give you about 5.8 watts on high.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/157876/222jjj_png-1789659.JPG

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Im betting its just the chinaman exaggerating. Check out "project farm" 18650 battery review for more examples. Thats why i asked here before buying it.

Cool Beans.

I will get some simply because of the USB charging. Sucks managing chargers in a vehicle, and/or forgetting them and making the radios useless after about a day. Would have been nice if it was actually 10 watts though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

-Cheapo receiver to monitor channels for intel. China doesnt follow the FCC very strictly so you can play on some frequencies not as easily accessible on other HTs.

-Transmitting / Receiving line of sight or pretty damn close on MURS / FRS / GMRS channels , think adult walkie talkie.

They always exaggerate wattage and are known to bleed over to other channels. Bleed over means you are disturbing other users, personally I want to minimize my footprint.

View Quote

Just set it to Narrow Band. Wide on a Boafeng is Rosie Odonnel Wide. You want more of a Gweneth Paltrow Narrow, you know, man hands, boy hips, and pointy elbows.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have a couple of the cheap things, work great for dual monitoring, FM music, and MURS.  Works great around our couple acres, and rather durable for general use.  Spray painted mine orange to find it easier when I drop it in the yard.  

Heck of a lot nicer than trying to keep my phone with me and protected when I'm out mowing, cutting, or otherwise doing messy stuff.  And I hear the switch from music to voice much more reliably than my phone ringing/buzzing if my wife's trying to catch my attention.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#23]
How does this compare to the UV-82?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How does this compare to the UV-82?
View Quote
I would more aptly describe it as a UV-5R with a facelift, new flashy color case options, and a USB charging port added.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would more aptly describe it as a UV-5R with a facelift, new flashy color case options, and a USB charging port added.
View Quote

Good to know.  I have an 82 coming in the mail tomorrow that I plan on programming with the local repeater.  Still trying to figure out what other channels would be good to have programmed.  But then I'm just going to play around with listening for a bit to see what it can/can't do.  So knowing this is certainly not a leg up on that is very helpful.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Supposed to be a new model, anyone have it that can speak to quality or functionality? I searched for the old bf-f8hp and this came up with a lot of the same old features.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/460306/Screenshot_2021-01-21-11-06-44_png-1789548.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/460306/Screenshot_2021-01-21-11-07-08_png-1789549.JPG

View Quote

I think they are illegal now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#27]

It's got what the radio spectrum craves.

Watts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The actual baofeng / btech radios actually do rather well on 70cm.  It's 2m where they have issues.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Pay a little more and get a better radio-

https://www.yaesu.com/

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Well the extra band might have one advantage, in shtf it would be a good place to use. As no one would be looking there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

And run your battery down 3 times quicker, with no useful increase in range.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pay a little more and get a better radio-

https://www.yaesu.com/

View Quote

Not in 220 any longer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The actual baofeng / btech radios actually do rather well on 70cm.  It's 2m where they have issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I got lucky. My F8-HP with a 42” Abbree antenna works very well on 2M with a couple of repeaters, each about 10mi away.

Of course they’re on 800 foot TV towers, so that helps.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok Alton! Go cook something....lol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Maybe I got lucky. My F8-HP with a 42” Abbree antenna works very well on 2M with a couple of repeaters, each about 10mi away.

Of course they’re on 800 foot TV towers, so that helps.
View Quote

It won't be obvious / revealed to the casual user.  Test gear is necessary to measure the spurious emissions and such.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#36]
These little radios have their uses.  I did, however, look up the UV-S9 Plus on Amazon, and it seems to be an 8 watt dual-band.  I think the ad you're looking at might be some kinda knockoff or a scam.  Do be cautious, if you decide to purchase.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/460306/Screenshot_2021-01-21-11-06-44_png-1789548.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/460306/Screenshot_2021-01-21-11-07-08_png-1789549.JPG

View Quote

As an Amateur Licensee, I cannot recommend that you get one of these for operation without a license, but if SHTF, the 220mhz band is very quiet, few HAM guys still have radios that go there, and most importantly, hardly any scanners go there. If a guy were to want to talk to a buddy privately over any distance, all it would take would be a pair of these, directional antennas, and maybe 20-30 feet of aluminum pipe to get the antenna up in the air.

I've been a HAM for 13 years and the only action I have ever seen on 220 was way back when a friend of a friend had a repeater that only the three of us used. If you were to add a digital mode to the radio with a laptop and connector to the radio, nobody would ever figure out what you had to say. Keep your transmissions short, it takes a guy a few minutes to set up his shit when he hears a digital signal, zero-beat it, and start decoding. don't stay on the same frequency, have a plan to move around.

Again, once you get licensed.

I really hope they spent some time on the user interface, the last one sucked balls.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are indeed correct. In fact it might be worse if this review article is correct.
http://www.besthamradio.com/baofeng-uv-9s-plus-tri-band-band-radio-review/

USB port in the way/sharp when holding and the wattage, as mentioned before, is a fallacy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top