Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2018 8:28:34 PM EDT
For me it's the ARC Angels... This is perhaps the best produced blues rock album when it comes to the guitars.  I'm told the awesome rotary sound on Good Times is from an original Leslie at the Austin Rehearsal Complex (ARC) other guitarists come there just to record on. It's mostly strat with a little Ric and Gibson. Doesn't hurt they have SRV's complete rhythm section.  Doyle Bramhall Jr. truly got his father's pipes too, but what Charlie Sexton and Bramhall Jr. did here apparently couldn't be replicated in their solo careers. Enjoy..

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are three of them.  Pretty sure they're all drunk, too.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall (Official)
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm honestly reluctant to get all name-droppy in here, but I have had a few chances to do live sound for both Doyle Bramhall II and Charlie Sexton, respectively.

On the surface, those guys have personalities that are completely opposite one another. I listened to Arc Angels in the early 90s. Meeting them years after that, it seems kind of astounding that they were in a band together.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]
To your point, I don't think that the careers of either of those guys suffered any degradation after they went their separate ways. Doyle still puts on a great show. It's a lot more psychedelic and out there than one might expect. Personality wise he's cool, but kind of aloof, and not really approachable. He shows up to soundcheck when he pleases, and you never know exactly what he's going to ask you for. You just hang with him for a few minutes until he's happy, and then that's it. He isn't difficult; he just gives off a disengaged vibe.

Charlie is a pure rock star and one of the most friendly, personable guys you could ever meet. He'll treat you like he's known you forever. This is a picture of him and Boz Scaggs from a night where they and a bunch of other musicians did nothing but Neil Young tunes. This may have been the most triumphant night of my sound dude career. Boz is obscuring me, but you can see the lights from my Midas behind him on his right hand side.

Hope you don't mind my stories, but since you're into Arc Angels I thought it would be OK to post.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're asking whose sound just does it for me personally, the answer is always Alice in Chains.

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much this whole album has some very RIGHT guitar tones.

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#6]
A little different than what has been posted here but John Frusciante really speaks to me. Murderers in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnzJtm6h9SE

Or something a little more mellow and easy going, Before The Beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J76MeYAGaH8

Or Falling from the Brown Bunny Soundtrack (gets really good at 3:00, but whole song is great):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjUYr5RN6cM

So many good ones. I went deep down the rabbit hole of Frusciante and he has many gems.

Like telling stories with a guitar.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To your point, I don't think that the careers of either of those guys suffered any degradation after they went their separate ways. Doyle still puts on a great show. It's a lot more psychedelic and out there than one might expect. Personality wise he's cool, but kind of aloof, and not really approachable. He shows up to soundcheck when he pleases, and you never know exactly what he's going to ask you for. You just hang with him for a few minutes until he's happy, and then that's it. He isn't difficult; he just gives off a disengaged vibe.

Charlie is a pure rock star and one of the most friendly, personable guys you could ever meet. He'll treat you like he's known you forever. This is a picture of him and Boz Scaggs from a night where they and a bunch of other musicians did nothing but Neil Young tunes. This may have been the most triumphant night of my sound dude career. Boz is obscuring me, but you can see the lights from my Midas behind him on his right hand side.

Hope you don't mind my stories, but since you're into Arc Angels I thought it would be OK to post.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/244128/image_jpeg-738423.JPG
View Quote
That's awesome.  Like the D. Bentley thread, I think we have more interesting stuff on the musician forum here than guitar player forums. Wife knows a lot of Austin based folks from growing up there and Ian Moore was apparently a Jr. High BF lol. She said the Sextons are well regarded locally as very friendly guys. I hate Mrs. Czechers because her dad dragged her up to Rome Inn as a teen to see SRV...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A little different than what has been posted here but John Frusciante really speaks to me. Murderers in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnzJtm6h9SE

Or something a little more mellow and easy going, Before The Beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J76MeYAGaH8

Or Falling from the Brown Bunny Soundtrack (gets really good at 3:00, but whole song is great):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjUYr5RN6cM

So many good ones. I went deep down the rabbit hole of Frusciante and he has many gems.

Like telling stories with a guitar.
View Quote
Frusciante is like a palate cleanser for me... Really brings out the character of the guitar.  I started listening to Covet occasionally for the same reason..

Covet - "shibuya" (ft.San Holo) (official video)
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's awesome.  Like the D. Bentley thread, I think we have more interesting stuff on the musician forum here than guitar player forums. Wife knows a lot of Austin based folks from growing up there and Ian Moore was apparently a Jr. High BF lol. She said the Sextons are well regarded locally as very friendly guys. I hate Mrs. Czechers because her dad dragged her up to Rome Inn as a teen to see SRV...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/244128/image_jpeg-738423.JPG
Hehe. I was never big on Ian Moore's music, but he won me over with his personality, and I think he and his band sound fantastic live. He's just a powerful player. Real down to earth, easy going guy, too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Frusciante is like a palate cleanser for me... Really brings out the character of the guitar.  I started listening to Covet occasionally for the same reason..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXGwVJCdV6A
View Quote
Never heard of them, I like it!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
There are too many to list. Billy Duffy (The Cult) gets some great lead & rhythm tones.  Ceremony was mostly a Les Paul into a Marshall, IIRC.

The Cult - Heart Of Soul HD
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive been on a Mike Mann aka Hollywood fats kick for a while , another one who  burnt himself out at a young age
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are too many to list. Billy Duffy (The Cult) gets some great lead & rhythm tones.  Ceremony was mostly a Les Paul into a Marshall, IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygd5T_jimSk
View Quote
That song reminds me too much of Skid Row's "I remember you" but I love their sound on Love album through Sonic Temple.  This one I dig especially, makes me think Jimmy Page when I hear the fills...

The Cult - Love Removal Machine
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Andy Timmins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top