Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 5/27/2019 4:51:38 PM EDT
The trip was good.  A little pricey for diving, but its on Long Island Bahamas, away from the hustle-bustle & low key.

Private guide because everyone else bailed due to storm clouds on the horizon (its the Caribbean!)

We did two days of diving, shallow in about 45' max depth around the coral heads.  Plenty of swim thrus and all sorts of soft coral and sponges.

Here is a video of the lionfish after being speared:

Bahamas Shark Eating Speared Lionfish
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I always wonder if, when something eats a dead Lionfish, if they end up dead later.

I've fed one to a Moray eel and a reef shark.
I was able to clip the spines off one of them before feeding it to a shark.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always wonder if, when something eats a dead Lionfish, if they end up dead later.

I've fed one to a Moray eel and a reef shark.
I was able to clip the spines off one of them before feeding it to a shark.
View Quote
I asked the same thing and the guide said they used to clip & snip too but the critters (sharks, eels & 'Cuda) wouldn't want to wait for the diver to clear!

So they kill 'em and the critters just chomp & shred them.  I imagine they get a tingly numb feeling but doesn't kill 'em.

~Will
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Stella Maris resort?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Stella Maris resort?
View Quote
Cape Santa Maria (C.S.M. to the locals).

Stella Maris was cheaper, but I think they also had a mandatory minimum for bookings.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw five lion in Bonaire recently.  One of the DM said there was many more but they headed deep in the channel during the day and came up at night.  Don’t know for sure.  We reported the sightings to a lion hunter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cape Santa Maria (C.S.M. to the locals).

Stella Maris was cheaper, but I think they also had a mandatory minimum for bookings.
View Quote
I've stayed and dove with both outfits and am hard-pressed to say which is better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Sometimes, they get used to being fed. Even a cute nurse shark can do damage, as seen here
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sometimes, they get used to being fed. Even a cute nurse shark can do damage, as seen here
View Quote
ALL SHARKS are competitive when it comes to food.

I will never engage in this behavior again though!  It teaches the shark bad hunting practices and endangers divers.

Now I know, and the dive guide knows too!!

~Will
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I may be wrong op but I believe it is highly illegal to spearfish with tanks in the Bahamas. Free dive spear fishing is legal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I may be wrong op but I believe it is highly illegal to spearfish with tanks in the Bahamas. Free dive spear fishing is legal.
View Quote
I believe it’s a different situation with the lion fish since they are an invasive species.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top