Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2020 5:20:10 PM EDT
Anyone into this? Looked into it and decided against it? Planning to buy machines? I think it’s a great idea and I’m starting to look into it. $36k for a “turn key” setup from Ice Depot which is a touch more than I anticipated but I believe it could still become a nice income stream.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Only if located in an area with very high demand,  beach boat launch that kinda thing.  You will need VOLUME.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
With every convience store, Walmart, and grocery store selling bagged ice already, it would be a tough market.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
They put one in at the end of my street, next to a 7-11 and a liquor store. 20lb bag for $1.75 iirc. 7-11 is now a laumdrymat, and the liquor store doesn't even bother to sell ice any more.

Location, location, location...................
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The one close to my parents in Upstate SC kills it. I’ve wanted to buy a few since that one went in. There aren’t any around me in Alabama.  Location is key for sure but another great thing is these things are portable within reason.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

With every convience store, Walmart, and grocery store selling bagged ice already, it would be a tough market.
View Quote
Every store sells everything, but someone always makes it work.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought about one but refrigeration isn't cheap to fix.  Ice is expensive to make.  Seems like a hassle. I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine told me in West Virginia they have them set up to vend deer corn for your feeders. Take that with a grain of salt, he is from West Virginia after all.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine owns 3 or 4 locally. He bought into
a franchise but ran at odds with the parent company,
and bought the machines outright ($$$!). He does
heating and air as his profession, so he does all or
most of the repairs & maintenance himself. I think
that would be a huge expense to farm out when
repairs are needed.

He makes it work as a hands off'ish side income.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A friend of mine owns 3 or 4 locally. He bought into
a franchise but ran at odds with the parent company,
and bought the machines outright ($$$!). He does
heating and air as his profession, so he does all or
most of the repairs & maintenance himself. I think
that would be a huge expense to farm out when
repairs are needed.

He makes it work as a hands off'ish side income.
View Quote
That's kind of the way i saw it.  If i need to do repairs to make it work,  I'll just do repairs for other people and have no risk.  I can charge 100 an hour doing refrigeration.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
This is something I've had occasional interest in.  I'm subscribing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, I know of a Kooler Ice machine in the Birmingham area for sale. Needs a little work but the guy only wants 12K and its in pretty good shape.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I knew a guy who bought one years ago, then had five with one on a trailer(for events).
location is key.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#14]
We have 3 in our town and they seem to do well. Anytime there is a run on ice (Hurricane, corona virus, holidays) they are lined up. Thought about it too but again maintenance seemed like something I’d end up paying out the ass for.

We also like the West Virginia guy have a deer corn feeder machine much like the ice ones. I guess you could fill the bed of your pick up truck up with it. I’ve never used it though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have one north and south of town. There is always someone getting ICE. I looked into maybe buying one, but the maintenance on one is daunting. Also if the water source is poor you have to filter the water.

Edit: have you guys seen the deer corn vending machines?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Family owned an ice company for 35 years, I worked there about 20 off and on.   Cost for us were roughly 35% production 25% labor 40% transport.  The smaller the ice machine the less reliable it is and our machines would make enough ice to fill an average size house in 8hrs.  They were moderately unreliable and we had high quality equipment.  We were happy to make a nickel a bag, ecstatic to make a dime.  You have to do volume.   Yes you have lower overhead getting rid of transport and your labor you will call free but production will be very costly and you must have an excellent location not just a good one.  We thought long and hard about buying a few but the numbers just never worked out.  We couldn’t find a location that would consistently do the volume needed to turn a profit.  Remember 1/2 the year nobody will use it no matter what you do.   We know 2 people that own them.  3 machines all different.  They all seem to do about the same.  The bag less has refrigeration problems and the 2 bagged have bagger problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top