Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 12:11:25 PM EDT
Older lab cross.  15 years in a couple months.

His back teeth are really bad.  His diet is 100% dry kibble, he gets glucosamine bone treats daily.  He gets an annual vet checkup, sometimes a couple years between checks. I guess I didn't spend enough time between visits checking his teeth.

I'm thinking he'll need his molars pulled and be on a soft food diet for whatever time he has left.

Really wondering about chances of surviving the anesthesia and the recovery.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You should ask a vet
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Appointment tomorrow.

Trying to anticipate any questions, decisions, options.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I’m going to be in the same boat with my Pom. Old girls teeth are going to need work someday prob sooner than later.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Good question. Be sure and give us an after action report on how the dog fared OP. Best of luck.

Add. Man I remember the few times we’ve given our dogs canned dog food, the gas is horrible.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Vet called today and had a cancellation so I got him in for a checkup today.  They did a blood test to see if he has anything going on that would be an issue with anesthesia/tooth extraction.  Lower left molars are infected and causing him pain.  Should have blood test results tomorrow.  Meanwhile he's on antibiotics until Tuesday and scheduled for dental work Tuesday - presuming nothing bad is indicated in his bloodwork.  He was just in for a checkup and evaluation of his limping a couple months ago and hes gained 2 lbs since then (he's a fatty and will steal food from the other dogs bowls any chance he gets).  Anti-inflamitories cleared up his limping issue.

ETA: blood work came back with no concerns or issues.  Dental cleaning and probable tooth extraction tuesday.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top