Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2020 12:40:15 AM EDT
Looking to get a back up Pistol for work. This will be worn under my uniform shirt in a CrossBreed or Gladius  Vest Holster. I am looking at either the Sig P365 or a S&W 442. I carry a full size .45acp at work and am not looking to carry a .45 back up. I want something low profile. I understand the benefits of a revolver as a bug over a semi. Are any of you guys seeing more semi’s being used as a bug. I feel the semi is easier to shoot and has double the capacity. Just wanted to here what’s your opinions or experiences on ant of these type pistols as a back up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have carried several over the years such as Glock 27 (back when they were new), Kimber Ultra CDPII, Keltec P3AT, S&W 642, S&W 340, Sig P938, and currently Sig P365.

I still like my S&W M&P 340, that front sight is a great step up over the 642.  I used speed strips(8 rounders fit in the shirt pocket well).  I went to the P938 for faster reloads as it is also my off duty gun.  The P365 is not much larger and has much better capacity over the P938.  I handled a G43 prior to carrying the P365, but just did not like the fit in my hand.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking to get a back up Pistol for work. This will be worn under my uniform shirt in a CrossBreed or Gladius  Vest Holster. I am looking at either the Sig P365 or a S&W 442. I carry a full size .45acp at work and am not looking to carry a .45 back up. I want something low profile. I understand the benefits of a revolver as a bug over a semi. Are any of you guys seeing more semi’s being used as a bug. I feel the semi is easier to shoot and has double the capacity. Just wanted to here what’s your opinions or experiences on ant of these type pistols as a back up.
View Quote
Iv'e carried a G26 on my vest (currently and for the last 8-9years in a Crossbreed) for the past 20years. Easy enough to get to, good ammo capacity and I can shoot it very well with either hand etc.

Some of the biggest factors that I took into account when I went with the G26 was the ease of shooting, accuracy and trigger pull weight since if you are to the point where you are pulling and engaging with your BUG shit has went BAD. Like I said I can shoot it well with both hands and single handed which likely come in handy if you are injured, in a weird position etc. I accurately hit targets out to 25yards with it, not so much with my snubby.

Hope this helps.

J-
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Woot about the Springfield Hellcat.  In before the Springfield haters.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#4]
A 642 in your weak hand pocket is what i always carried. Vest carry is slow so i would only carry a compact of my duty gun to share mags.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Titanium airweights make a great bug especially with the weight. But 5 shots. You really aren't losing much with the small autos and you gain a couple of rounds. I carry a shield 9. I picked up one in 45 too because they were on sale. I still have my 27 but don't carry it. Same for my stainless 642 heavy ass brick. Haven't compared the new Springfiel hellcat to the 27 but they got 12 rounds in it and everyone says it is compact.

Lots of choices.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Back when I carried a model 66 then a Sig 226 I always carried a de horned Colt Cobra .38 revolver with a speed strip of six rounds in my support side pocket as a backup gun. I liked the cobra because it was six shot, lightweight and I got it cheap from a retiring friend. A 442 or a 642 smith would be perfect as well.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Here it's mostly semis with a few old hands that still carry revolvers as back ups. The 43 and now the 365 have taken over as the preferred back up with a sprinkling of Shields and Kahrs.

Before I would carry my back up in a vest holster weak hand cross draw, but it would chew through uniform shirts like crazy. I invested in a BUG Pocket  and love the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here it's mostly semis with a few old hands that still carry revolvers as back ups. The 43 and now the 365 have taken over as the preferred back up with a sprinkling of Shields and Kahrs.

Before I would carry my back up in a vest holster weak hand cross draw, but it would chew through uniform shirts like crazy. I invested in a BUG Pocket  and love the shit out of it.
View Quote
I commented above but wanted to second the BUG. That is what I used until I went to an external carrier. I even carried a P239 and P228 in it, but really liked my Ultra CDP II with 2 spare mags.

If you were an under uniform carrier the BUG is the ticket.  Plus a snubby or small auto in the support side front pocket.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry a Glock 26 in my support side pocket with a kydex trigger guard, it comes off when you pull it out of the pocket. Its a little blocky but the commonality with issued magazines is a good trade off and I know I can use it just as well as the 17 I'm issued.

A lot of guys carry either a Glock 42 or a SW442.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I did carry a g43 in the zip up chest pocket of my outer carrier.  Switched to a load barrier vest that doesn’t have the same type of centerline pocket.  Haven’t been carrying a bug as I’m not sure where I want to carry it.  Not a fan of carrying it in the cargo or front pocket of my pants.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both the S&W 442 and the P365. Both have been used as BUGs, carried in the weak-side cargo pocket of my uniform pants. The holsters have been either the Desantis Nemesis or the Super Fly. I'll carry one speed strip if using the revolver and use a 12 rd. mag in the P365 with no extra mag. When I first started carrying a BUG, I used a Walther PPK in a vest holster. I found that mode of carry to be slow and hard to get to, so I changed the location. Either firearm will do the job.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#12]
We have a mandate for what guns can be carried as a BUG.  BUGs are all optional.  Officers buy/own their guns and have to choose from an approved list.  If you carry a hammer-fired pistol, you have to carry a hammer-fired pistol or S&W revolver as a BUG.  The problem is that there was only one hammer-fired pistol that was authorized for BUG carry, and it was the Sig P290RS.  Which Sig no longer makes.  So if you don’t have one, guess what you have to carry as a BUG?
If you carry a striker gun, you have to carry a striker BUG.  
BUGs must be .380ACP or .38SPL or larger.

I would say that less than 5% of the patrol division carries a BUG, and most of them are older officers.  We rarely see younger/newer officers carrying BUGs..  We also are a large metro agency and ride two per squad, so the propensity for needing a BUG is drastically reduced as opposed to a suburban or rural agency.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I started out carrying a S&W model 49 5 shot, then upgraded to a Sig 239 9mm.   I'm retired now, but I have a S&W Bodyguard .380 that I have been shooting and carrying, and if I was still working, it would be my BUG.  I love it, and watching Jerry Miculek hit steel plates with it at 200 yards on Youtube, made me realize it's potential if I just did my part.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#14]
For what it’s worth, I carry a Glock 23 on my left ankle.

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
This has been a big debate and user preference ever since I started in 1985.

Used a lot of pistols and departments always have a approved list. JMHO it’s all user preference. What fits in your hand and how can you shoot it. I’ve had 4 BUG’s during my 31 years.

My first was a small 2” S&W 38, grip was way too small and very uncomfortable to shoot. I have large hands and lanky fingers. I then had a S&W 6906. I also had a Sig 226,,, yes that was a BUG. My last one a G19 that I still have as a everyday carry.

Before you make a decision, spend some time shooting different pistols. BTW, I do like the P365XL and G45.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:08:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I've carried a bobbed hammer S&W mdl 60 (yep it's heavy) for all my 34 years as a BUG.  I liked it back in the day because it used the same ammo as the mdl 66 I was issued.  When we went to 10mm I continued with my little wheel gun.  I've tried carrying it various ways; ankle, front pocket, & even IWB before it was cool.  But, to me,  it just doesn't feel good anywhere other than under my arm.  I've always just used an Uncle Mike's IWB clip holster attached to my vest strap & have had no problems.

I also carry a Kel-Tec 3AT in my off side cargo pocket.

And if it's cold enough, I likely have something my jacket pocket.

If I was looking now, I'd likely go with a Ruger LCR in 9mm & carry it in my offside cargo pocket.  Again, I like the idea of ammo availability.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If I had my choice...that tiny single stack Glock.

If it was a revolver, one of the newer Smith and Wesson scadmium framed airweights would be the hotness....crazy light.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Titanium airweights make a great bug especially with the weight. But 5 shots. You really aren't losing much with the small autos and you gain a couple of rounds. I carry a shield 9. I picked up one in 45 too because they were on sale. I still have my 27 but don't carry it. Same for my stainless 642 heavy ass brick. Haven't compared the new Springfiel hellcat to the 27 but they got 12 rounds in it and everyone says it is compact.

Lots of choices.
View Quote
S&W made a model 296 that is a titanium framed, hammerless 44 special for two years.  That would make a great BUG.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back when I carried a model 66 then a Sig 226 I always carried a de horned Colt Cobra .38 revolver with a speed strip of six rounds in my support side pocket as a backup gun. I liked the cobra because it was six shot, lightweight and I got it cheap from a retiring friend. A 442 or a 642 smith would be perfect as well.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/41727/FC04C435-3197-445A-A2D4-AB877AA6D38E_jpe-1250581.JPG
View Quote
We're Not Worthy !!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top