Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/28/2022 12:18:40 AM EDT
I used to question how bad someone's back could hurt. I always thought that it was a cop out.

I stopped that questioning about 10 or so years ago when my back first went out.

Never again. I thought it was bad then.

Bulged L2 disc currently. This one hurts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Tweaked my back 6 weeks ago.

It was bad.  I get it now also.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've never had to weigh how important taking another breath is while on the ground in pure exhaustion from the spasms caused by breathing...well then you don't really know
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I am doing my best to put off an anterior spinal fusion.  It’s coming.  It will be surgery number 29.  The fire of nerve pain is indescribable.  Google Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and the MacGill pain index.  I’ve got a prosthetic shoulder. My left foot and ankle are held together with screws. When doctors used to ask me about pain on a scale from 1-10 I thought I knew.  Then I was diagnosed with CRPS in the aftermath of surgery number 25. I had no idea what a 10  was. I do now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Is your back better? I am going on week 2 now. Saw the doc last Wednesday.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you've never had to weigh how important taking another breath is while on the ground in pure exhaustion from the spasms caused by breathing...well then you don't really know
View Quote
My right quad feels like it is torn. It isn't.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This weekend was the first time I was able to sit up after laying down instead of rolling over to get my legs under me.

Still stiffens up if I sit in a chair to long (IT worker, so kind of required).

I never had it looked at.  I am dumb like that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am doing my best to put off an anterior spinal fusion.  It's coming.  It will be surgery number 29.  The fire of nerve pain is indescribable.  Good Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and the MacGill pain index.  I've got a prosthetic shoulder. My left foot and ankle are held together with screws. When doctors used to ask me about pain on a scale from 1-10 I thought I knew.  Then I was diagnosed with CRPS in the aftermath of surgery number 25. I had no idea what a 10mm was. I do now.
View Quote
I usually try to be the tough guy. This is definitely 10/10 on the pain scale.  

Seeing the doc again tomorrow. I cannot walk. It hurts to sit, lie, stand, fetal position, you name it.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seeing the doc again tomorrow. I cannot walk. It hurts to sit, lie, stand, fetal position, you name it.

View Quote

Do not try to be a tough guy. I did the same thing for years before finally giving in. Took handfuls of pain pills and was miserable constantly. Got in with a pain management DR and she has been a life saver.
I’ll need L4-L5-S1 fused at some point but she’s helping me put it off as long as possible as I’m only 38.
Lose any extra weight you possibly can. Get to PT and make stretching and core work your obsession. Pain management can help a lot with minor procedures such as nerve ablation and other injections.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve had some bad orthopedic injuries and surgeries, a cracked chest and kidney stone.  Back and neck pain can easily be a 10 on the worst pain I’ve ever felt scale.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had 5 surgeries on my lower back and each one was worth it.

The last one was a fusion of L4 and L5.

Every once in a while I get some pain but it's Advil kind of pain. My wife can massage the lower back and I'm in good shape after that.

Good luck, OP. I don't regret any of the surgeries that I have had,
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do not try to be a tough guy. I did the same thing for years before finally giving in. Took handfuls of pain pills and was miserable constantly. Got in with a pain management DR and she has been a life saver.
I'll need L4-L5-S1 fused at some point but she's helping me put it off as long as possible as I'm only 38.
Lose any extra weight you possibly can. Get to PT and make stretching and core work your obsession. Pain management can help a lot with minor procedures such as nerve ablation and other injections.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll need L4-L5-S1 fused at some point but she's helping me put it off as long as possible as I'm only 38.
I had fresh x-rays taken and saw the doc last week. I know not to mess around.

Advil, Barbara, Barolo, Barbaresco, only.

Old BMX and skating injuries catching up with me.

I am seeing the doctor tomorrow.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Broken T4 & T6 last New Years.

I'm still paying for it.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a bulged disc around L2 6 or so years ago. Hurt like a son of a bitch and it was all I could do to stand up. Lots of muscle relaxers and months of PT. It still gives me grief occasionally. The physical therapist said I was more stiff than people twice my age, I was in my early 30s at the time. I had a very physical and active job at the time, I don't really understand why I'm always so stiff. I should probably keep up with the stretches they had me do.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm still paying for it.  
View Quote
I have an L4 fracture that showed up. None of my previous PTs or Chiros mentioned it.

How are you feeling? Get well.

edited for vertebrae
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Broke my back in 2 spots and 2 bulging discs in the next 2 vertebrae below that a fee years ago. I'm still having issues with it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:07:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a bulged disc around L2 6 or so years ago. Hurt like a son of a bitch and it was all I could do to stand up. Lots of muscle relaxers and months of PT. It still gives me grief occasionally. The physical therapist said I was more stiff than people twice my age, I was around 30 at the time. I had a very physical and active job at the time, I don't really understand why I'm always so stiff. I should probably keep up with the stretches they had me do.
View Quote
This is so bad that my right leg (hip to knee) is an added source of pain.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an L4 fracture that showed up. None of my previous PTs or Chiros mentioned it.

edited for vertebrae
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still paying for it.  

edited for vertebrae

Depending on what I'm doing, I can only be on my feet for a few minutes before I need to sit back down.  

If I'm moving around, I can be up for a while longer.

Thanks, and you too!
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a bulged disc around L2 6 or so years ago. Hurt like a son of a bitch and it was all I could do to stand up. Lots of muscle relaxers and months of PT. It still gives me grief occasionally. The physical therapist said I was more stiff than people twice my age, I was around 30 at the time. I had a very physical and active job at the time, I don't really understand why I'm always so stiff. I should probably keep up with the stretches they had me do.

My hips were (probably still are) super tight and I had some wicked sciatic pain also. Hip flexor stretches made a big difference for me. If you look those up you'll probably think they'll kill you now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got an L4-L5 fusion and an L5-S1 discectomy.

It took about 7 years to feel better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ve got numbness in both feet that seems to be back related. A1c, thyroid, b12 we’re all normal. A week of steroids didn’t help. At one point it had progressed up the back of my right leg to the buttock. I’m doing some stretching and that has helped some but I’m going to have to get an mri. This has been going on for close to 2 months.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:18:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My hips were (probably still are) super tight and I had some wicked sciatic pain also. Hip flexor stretches made a big difference for me. If you look those up you'll probably think they'll kill you now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went from cycling about 200 miles a week. Intervals and fast training. To stopping.

Cold turkey. I haven't been on a bike since June.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve been there. Had to hang onto the hood of my pickup for 15 minutes before I finally dropped to the ground and laid there in pain.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#23]
10 - 15 years ago I was ready to commit suicide.

1 1/2 years of the worst back pain.  Nothing helped. Then I watched this:

https://youtu.be/8jQtmSZetJM

Stossel 20/20 Sarno (Do a Utube search)

It works.  It saved my life.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry to hear, hope your back feels better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try pilates.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear, hope your back feels better.
View Quote
Sitting on a rotating set of ice bags isn't that cool, man.

I should be racing CX in NorCal right now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Same.  Hurt my back about 5 months ago, it seems like it is getting better and I will start thinking about training again and my back with start hurting again.  I don't know if it's ever going to get back to normal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Try pilates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try pilates.
I have done that.

I still call it Pontius Pilates.  

It worked at the time. Very well. I became cheap.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:40:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have done that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try pilates.
I have done that.

Works well for me.  I could barely walk when I started….
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:42:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Works well for me.  I could barely walk when I started .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try pilates.
I have done that.

Works well for me.  I could barely walk when I started .
I am looking at everything. Again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:08:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Two Advil and a liter of water. Going to try to get comfortable in bed.

The dogs think that they need to tell me that I am hurt. Not working.

Guest bedroom seems to be a safer bet.

Get better, guys and girls.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:15:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Back pain is pretty much soul destroying.  I think most people don't really understand it until they experience real back pain.  Not a sore muscle or some shit like that.  You aren't just going to suck it up and push thru an actual fucked up back, no matter how much of a bad ass you think you are.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I've had a fucked up back and neck since an accident when I was a kid.  Strangely, I can lift heavy, but if I stand too long, sit in a chair the wrong way, or twist a weird way, it's all over.

Recently, we found out my mother has spinal stenosis and spondylitis.  They say it is congenital, although she also spent her life overworking herself.  If it is entirely genetic, I'm worried I'll end up with the same conditions.  I hope not, because I already have enough pain.

Definitely not a cop out, for those who genuinely have pain.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Blew my back out last July.  Been trying to work through it with PT, stretching, and muscle relaxers.  No joy.

In a couple of hours will be on the table with the #1 spinal surgeon in Dallas for a laminectomy and L4/L5 fusion.  Hoping like hell this fixes the problem.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I ruptured a disc over a year ago. I couldn't put any weight on my left leg, couldn't walk, for a month. Still feel shooting pain in my left foot. Haven't been to a doctor yet, probably should.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:41:32 AM EDT
[#36]
My wife is currently having promising results with a neurostimulator (generic term)--this one made by Abbot. Now that the scars are subsiding her original sciatica, SI, and lumbar disc pains are greatly lessened. Six months ago, her options were this device (or another firm's) and disc fusion hardware c/o "two rods and eight screws."
If you prove to be a good candidate for one of these devices, it would be something to consider.
Best to you all. Lower back pain is not fun at all--I've been dealing with it for 50+ years and am fortunate to have been able to mostly control it via exercise and self-medication (via my docs...) using mostly Norco and Valium (not at once) and a couple of epidurals per year.
Once again, best to you in your search for relief.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I know something of back pain, having had various problems. I want to share an online therapist who has helped me a LOT. Dr. Jo has a Ph. D in physical therapy. She is on YouTube, and has several DIY techniques. Try her!
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#38]
It is probably pressing on the spinal nerve.  The longer it is in contact the longer it takes to heal.  I let mine go until I lost the use of my left leg.  I was  able to walk again, after surgery, but my left leg is numb.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Inversion Table, get on it now.

I had a L4 Herniation I came back from when i though I was fooked.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Lifelong bad back sufferer here. Even as a kid.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#41]
2 bulged and 2 herniated discs here.

Mid-30s and I’m paying for being an athlete through college.

I’m miserable on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I blow my back out about once a year doing the most mundane lifting/twisting.

Those few weeks of numb leg, burning pain if I stand for more than 10 seconds, and struggling to find a position to sleep in that isn't constant pain, makes me grateful this isn't the case every day of my life.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#43]
(dupe)
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Injured on a drill weekend in 2003. Hyper extension of the lumbar area. Misshapen cartilage between discs.  I'm 39 now. 2-3X a year I blow it out. It's always something stupid. I'm learning that my couch moving days are over. I still lift, exercise, stay active with the dogs; but have to be super careful.

Wife just ordered a new couch and loveseat.

800mg ibuprofen and a cup of coffee will be on deck.

Heated lumbar pads are great!

Best of luck gents
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I feel your pain……. Literally. Headed toward a lower back fusion myself someday, but making do with epidurals
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#46]
1999 I had back surgery.
Around 2015 I started having strange leg symptoms. Weakness, loss of muscle control. Another MRI revealed spinal stenosis and arthritis.  2020, another MRI, severe stenosis and severe arthritis.  

I’m really careful until I’m not.  Oct. 25th I did some yard work carrying around a garden sprayer slung over my shoulder and walked 3.5 miles like that spraying the ground.  

Nagging right side lower back since then.  Tues. of last week I sat up in my F-250 and drove to the trash drop off site 5.5 miles down a bumpy road.  Almost couldn’t walk when I got there.  Got home and was paralyzed with pain.  Wife went and got me a muscle relaxer and a lortab.  Took me 40 min to walk 60 feet from the truck to my bed.  If I moved, every muscle in my back seized up with extreme pain.  I have never experienced back pain this bad that didn’t involve sciatica. I thought I was going to pass out when I tried to get out of the bed. Screaming profanities really seems to help.  

Had to force myself up to keep from pissing in my bed.  Clothes weren’t so lucky.  After relieving myself, doubled down on pain meds and changed clothes.  Was confined to the recliner until Friday. Wife gave me some of her serious muscle relaxers and pain meds.  Major improvement with those.  

I’ve been taking it very easy and feel much better now.  I have to report to jury duty by 9am this morning. Tylenol and Motrin are keeping things at bay for now.  

Next week I fly out to Denver to see our son.  When we get back I think I’m going to see a chiropractor to see just how bad my alignment issues are.  Oh, and buy a new bed too.  Mine is just too old and too soft.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#47]
There are a lot of nerves there and we all like to think we are stronger than we are. I injured my back when I was seventeen. I toughed it out for years, no painkillers, aspirin, or heating pads, just lots of Ben-gay. By my 50s I was slowing down and treated for sciatica by 60. That was a mistake. It was a symptom, not the problem. Four years ago I could hardly walk. I was forced to retire. I just couldn't take it anymore. A new doctor looked at the x-rays and CAT scan and was amazed I wasn't under the knife years earlier. I had 3 vertebrae that were dissolving and two discs were blown. There was also severe nerve damage. The vertebrae were fused, and some bone was mixed into a cement to fix the degenerative damage, and a Ti rod was added. The nerve junction damage is permanent and the left foot doesn't work so hot. They call it drop foot. I can't run and have to be super careful not to fall. The left hip was replaced a year later. God has been good. I'm not in a wheelchair, and on occasion use a cane, especially in the cold rainy winter. A fourth vertebra is now deteriorating. Osteoarthritis really sucks. Aleve is a good friend.

If I had sought help when I was 17, I might have avoided a lot of pain over the years but nothing is guaranteed. Keep moving on.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

And pain pills don’t do shit for this type of pain.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sitting on a rotating set of ice bags isn't that cool, man.

I should be racing CX in NorCal right now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#50]
"Owwhhh!!!! My back!!!" is a running joke in my family.

The second half of the joke is that it is a joke until it is no longer a joke.

This weekend it was no longer a joke.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top