Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2023 9:38:01 AM EDT
How bad is this?

Windows NT4 SP6.  Crashes from the program I was using and now won’t even get to the BIOS post screen.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Hardware
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Try swapping out hardware that's swappable.  RAM, CPU, NIC, Video Card, etc.  RAM is probably easiest to start with.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Enter the bios and see if all the hardware is showing.
Re-seat the memory and cards.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I reseated components.  I went all day yesterday without errors.  This computer controls a daktronics  video board and ribbon system.  It’s 20 years old and there’s no parts or support left for the unit.  I need to stretch it out until a replacement system comes in, but that is t happening anytime soon.  Everyone knows the day is coming when I have to say I can’t fix it.  It’s dead, Jim.

Thanks for advice!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I replaced the PSU a couple months ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Check for bulged capacitors.  Most common thing to kill old boards. Electrolytic caps give up the ghost.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you locked into using NT4 due to software and driver requirements?  Does the manufacturer have newer versions of the software that will work with the cards?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I reseated components.  I went all day yesterday without errors.  This computer controls a daktronics  video board and ribbon system.  It's 20 years old and there's no parts or support left for the unit.  I need to stretch it out until a replacement system comes in, but that is t happening anytime soon.  Everyone knows the day is coming when I have to say I can't fix it.  It's dead, Jim.

Thanks for advice!
View Quote
Ooof. There's a strong case to be made here for virtualizing that machine and running it in VMWare or similar.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ooof. There's a strong case to be made here for virtualizing that machine and running it in VMWare or similar.
View Quote

Sounds like the pc has some special boards to run large custom led displays.  Can a VM control the hardware?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I was going to say that VMware should be able to do PCI Express passthrough. But then I realized...that's...not...PCI Express. That's PCI. Or...ISA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
You should consider applying new thermal paste for the CPU  if it hasn't been done. Thermal paste can dry out.

ETA: I would also consider running Spinrite on the HDD.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The weekend’s event, Monster Jam, was successful from the video perspective.  I didn’t get a chance to dig. Ore into the computer today because the show’s staff goofed.  The parked a CAT 950 on a slope but did t set the parking brake.  It rolled and tipped a light pole 20 degrees from vertical.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How bad is this?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180828/IMG_9034-2813062.jpg

Windows NT4 SP6.  Crashes from the program I was using and now won’t even get to the BIOS post screen.
View Quote

Some stuff in here is funny to me.

NULL.SYS
FLOPPY.SYS
HAL.DLL (HAL-9000 masquerading as a Hardware Abstraction Layer)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top