Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Page / 2174
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:10:10 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nickmemphis:
Belike, only if you agree to be my sex slave. Oh! Wait a minute! You don't have a vagina! Well, guess you're gonna die then! Oops!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

The point of being prepared is so you don't have to panic when/if SHTF.

Panicking is what the ill-prepared do, when their lives are affected by their lack of preparation.

"Oh no! The news and weather channels have been telling me for 10 days that there's a hurricane coming, but I waited until 36 hours before landfall to look for supplies for making French Toast and I can't find bread, milk and eggs ANYWHERE!".

I've been telling folks about this since the last week of January, that they should keep an eye on this, and getting some extra food and supplies and common consumables is a good idea. ONE person has said,  "Hmmm... I heard about this, but it wasn't really on my radar. I'll have to look into this more", and then later told me that they did indeed stock up on some extra provisions.

Everyone else has mostly just been, "Meh. I don't want to think about it. I'll just keep living my normal, oblivious life. If it gets bad though, I'll come to your place". How about NO.
Belike, only if you agree to be my sex slave. Oh! Wait a minute! You don't have a vagina! Well, guess you're gonna die then! Oops!
No shit!
I have been trying to tell several people about the potential dangers of the situation since Jan. 24.
Only one friend has listened. the rest laugh it off. They better be offering top grade soccer moms when it comes time for needing help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:26:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Trigger_GSP:
“Here” for me is the US.
How do you know it is spreading?

I’m just using the available information to come to a conclusion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HDGator:
Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:

lol there was no indication in December it would be the case in China.

but it wont be a month, probably take 3 or more given our size difference and our response being more ready
It’s simply not spreading here like it is elsewhere. Hell, look how it’s blowing up in SK.

Go back a few hundred pages, and see what the predictions were for our current date.
What is 'here' for you?
And how do you know it's not spreading?
The CDC testing regime appears to be severely hampered now.
That's putting it mildly.
“Here” for me is the US.

If you're conclusion is that this virus is not spreading then you need to re-evaluate your conclusion.
Really???
You are really trying to say it's not spreading with the news today out of South Korea, Japan and Singapore?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:29:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By C-4:
@PFran42

Many drugs are alkaloids which are a class of naturally occurring organic compounds that mostly contain basic nitrogen atoms.

Many of the alkaloids which contain nitrogen atoms can form salts with an acid.  Essentially, the proton from the acid combines with the nitrogen, much the same as it would combine with ammonia:

https://chem.libretexts.org/@api/deki/files/79450/CK12_Screenshot_21-7-1.png?revision=1&size=bestfit&width=511&height=189

An example of an alkaloid that does this is Cocaine:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-2fa426062a72b2c565d95ec73e61aa8d

The base is the alkaloid without an acid combined with it.

The alkaloid in the latter state is referred to as the "base", or even the "free base".  It's "free" because it's not combined with an acid.

If you start with Cocaine Hydrochloride salt, and you plan on smoking it, you want the free base because it it much more volatile than the salt and will evaporate better when heated without destroying the base.  Left in the form of the salt, heating it will cause a portion of the alkaloid to be destroyed.

How is this accomplished?  You heat a solution of Cocaine Hydrochloride with Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3).  The NaHCO3 combines with the HCl to form NaCl + H2O + CO2.  The Cocaine free base comes out of solution as it is insoluble in water.  The salt (NaCl) is mixed in with the free base.  The mixture is gently heated to dryness whereby you are left with a mixture of the free base and salt.  When you heat it in a glass pipe, the salt crystals split and make a crackling sound, hence the name "Crack".

Chloroquine is usually found in the form of the Phosphate.  It means that Chloroquine free base is mixed with Phosphoric Acid to form Chloroquine Phosphate.

When you are given a dosage of a drug, many times it will specify if you mean the free base or a particular salt.

Hope that helps.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
Originally Posted By PFran42:
So I’m definitely not sitting here looking at a bag of 100 grams of eBay Chloroquine sitting next to a bag of 1000 size “0” gel caps.

Furthermore, I definitely have no interest is understanding the “base” reference in the following:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/60473E04-0A90-4A4F-844C-670C1896D3F6_jpe-1284392.JPG

500 mg (300 mg base)

What does “300 mg base” mean?
@PFran42

Many drugs are alkaloids which are a class of naturally occurring organic compounds that mostly contain basic nitrogen atoms.

Many of the alkaloids which contain nitrogen atoms can form salts with an acid.  Essentially, the proton from the acid combines with the nitrogen, much the same as it would combine with ammonia:

https://chem.libretexts.org/@api/deki/files/79450/CK12_Screenshot_21-7-1.png?revision=1&size=bestfit&width=511&height=189

An example of an alkaloid that does this is Cocaine:

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-2fa426062a72b2c565d95ec73e61aa8d

The base is the alkaloid without an acid combined with it.

The alkaloid in the latter state is referred to as the "base", or even the "free base".  It's "free" because it's not combined with an acid.

If you start with Cocaine Hydrochloride salt, and you plan on smoking it, you want the free base because it it much more volatile than the salt and will evaporate better when heated without destroying the base.  Left in the form of the salt, heating it will cause a portion of the alkaloid to be destroyed.

How is this accomplished?  You heat a solution of Cocaine Hydrochloride with Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3).  The NaHCO3 combines with the HCl to form NaCl + H2O + CO2.  The Cocaine free base comes out of solution as it is insoluble in water.  The salt (NaCl) is mixed in with the free base.  The mixture is gently heated to dryness whereby you are left with a mixture of the free base and salt.  When you heat it in a glass pipe, the salt crystals split and make a crackling sound, hence the name "Crack".

Chloroquine is usually found in the form of the Phosphate.  It means that Chloroquine free base is mixed with Phosphoric Acid to form Chloroquine Phosphate.

When you are given a dosage of a drug, many times it will specify if you mean the free base or a particular salt.

Hope that helps.
This post should be narrated by a freebasing Sesame Street character.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:30:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MTBGunner:
No shit!
I have been trying to tell several people about the potential dangers of the situation since Jan. 24.
Only one friend has listened. the rest laugh it off. They better be offering top grade soccer moms when it comes time for needing help.
View All Quotes

Panicking is what the ill-prepared do, when their lives are affected by their lack of preparation.

"Oh no! The news and weather channels have been telling me for 10 days that there's a hurricane coming, but I waited until 36 hours before landfall to look for supplies for making French Toast and I can't find bread, milk and eggs ANYWHERE!".

I've been telling folks about this since the last week of January, that they should keep an eye on this, and getting some extra food and supplies and common consumables is a good idea. ONE person has said,  "Hmmm... I heard about this, but it wasn't really on my radar. I'll have to look into this more", and then later told me that they did indeed stock up on some extra provisions.

Everyone else has mostly just been, "Meh. I don't want to think about it. I'll just keep living my normal, oblivious life. If it gets bad though, I'll come to your place". How about NO.
No shit!
I don't have to take preparatory measures. I'll just come to your place, and meanwhile I'll just spend my time gaming and drinking in pubs.
me:
Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun (Official Audio)
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:31:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hungrymonkey:

What round for corona virus?
View Quote
500mg aquarium grade chloroquine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:31:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 2:36:13 AM EDT by brass]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:32:19 AM EDT

It's simply not spreading here like it is elsewhere. Hell, look how it's blowing up in SK.

Go back a few hundred pages, and see what the predictions were for our current date.
View Quote
There are probably 2,000-3,000 cases in the,US currently...MSNBC didn't tell you?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:36:13 AM EDT
I wouldn't trade a pitcher of warm spit for all "official" stats. Call me John Nance Garner.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:36:19 AM EDT
I don't have to take preparatory measures. I'll just come to your place, and meanwhile I'll just spend my time gaming and drinking in pubs.
me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPcc1ftj8E
View All Quotes

No shit!
me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tPcc1ftj8E
You're just leaning on that bass line.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:40:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By brass:
The sites with numbers,  most don't match for US infections, or global total.  Different update times.  Didn't look through to see all of them, but I'll link here and add @SIMJEDI 's normal fare to this post as well.

BNO

https://i.imgur.com/jIXgXUf.png

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://i.imgur.com/WJdBmCo.png

https://covid19info.live/

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

--ETA:

————————————————————————————

Not Listed or List-able, but the HUGE hit US Manufacturing and consumer goods will see in availability and pricing over the next several months.  

Replace your phone or computer Now if planning in near future.  March or April re-start date for China (Depending on industry).   Many need the precursor industries to get going before they can, so things will get a little wobbly as both materials and products come to the US from the affected areas.
View Quote
Is that including? Doesn’t seem like it Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:41:21 AM EDT

View Quote
It's in F Major, and 100BPM so you can hum it while performing CPR, like Staying Alive by the Brothers Gibb.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:47:23 AM EDT
It's in F Major, and 100BPM so you can hum it while performing CPR, like Staying Alive by the Brothers Gibb.
View All Quotes

Handy tip for the casual observers.

Take care!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:52:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 3:18:20 AM EDT by TheWhiteHorse]
Agreed. And therefore we don’t want to use resources on them. Most will do an ok job of self quarantine

If any end up infected we will apply resources to investigating their contacts which will be significantly reduced from if they weren’t quarantined.

It’s the only way to handle this
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bdkeg:

i imagine 99.99% of them are infection free, it's just out of an abundance of caution because they had traveled in asian or were more at risk of infection than the normal population.
Agreed. And therefore we don’t want to use resources on them. Most will do an ok job of self quarantine

If any end up infected we will apply resources to investigating their contacts which will be significantly reduced from if they weren’t quarantined.

🤣
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:54:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 3:36:55 AM EDT by tads]
So cloroquine is NOT being evaluated in the new drug trials:

"A third drug, the antimalarial chloroquine, which was being used in China, was not in trials, the WHO said." From the Guardian:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2020/feb/20/doctors-hiv-ebola-drugs-coronavirus-cure-covid-19

I sense that cloroquine works well and that it is so cheap, that the powers that be do not want the competition.

By cheap, i mean that i picked up 150, 250mg tablets, for an astounding US equivalent of $12.93 at a local pharmacy today. The lady is getting more shipped in and i plan on getting a nice stock.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:56:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 3:04:40 AM EDT by brass]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:10:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
Most of them are of Chinese origin. They don’t give a flying fuck. This is the same culture that thinks rhino horn makes their dick hard and eating the fins of sharks makes them special. They have no manners. They have no consideration for other humans or life. They don’t think rules apply to them once they are out of their communist shithole... I’d be willing to be not even a quarter followed the quarantine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
Originally Posted By bdkeg:

i imagine 99.99% of them are infection free, it's just out of an abundance of caution because they had traveled in asian or were more at risk of infection than the normal population.

Most of them are of Chinese origin. They don’t give a flying fuck. This is the same culture that thinks rhino horn makes their dick hard and eating the fins of sharks makes them special. They have no manners. They have no consideration for other humans or life. They don’t think rules apply to them once they are out of their communist shithole... I’d be willing to be not even a quarter followed the quarantine.
Didn't realize that musician bragging about breaking quarantine was Chinese

Guess what race all the assholes I see hacking up a lung at Walmart without even covering their mouths are? Answer: not Chinese (not too many Asians in general in my AO). People in general just DGAF about anyone else.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:11:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 3:13:43 AM EDT by boltcatch]

It’s simply not spreading here like it is elsewhere. Hell, look how it’s blowing up in SK.

View Quote
You're not accounting for US authorities both being aggressively lax about testing and, to a smaller extent, shipping fucked up test kits.   CDC obviously really didn't want to find jack shit for weeks.

They're not going to be able to hide it once a bunch of hospital workers test positive or they have to shut a school or two down.  My bet is on "not as severe", rather than "not spreading", though, with most deaths in the US limited to 75+.   That's assuming healthcare isn't generally overwhelmed outside of specific areas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:14:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 3:21:09 AM EDT by TheWhiteHorse]
Didn't realize that musician bragging about breaking quarantine was Chinese

Guess what race all the assholes I see hacking up a lung at Walmart without even covering their mouths are? Answer: not Chinese (not too many Asians in general in my AO). People in general just DGAF about anyone else.
View Quote
Check back in after you’ve lived in the Bay Area.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:31:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
There are probably 2,000-3,000 cases in the,US currently...MSNBC didn't tell you?
View Quote
Wouldn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:35:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 3:35:50 AM EDT by rhs77430]
WHAT IN THE ABSOLUTE CLUSTERFUCK IS THIS?

Our government has fumblefucked this entire thing from the start... but this might be the worst yet.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/20/coronavirus-infected-americans-flown-back-to-us-on-plane-full-of-healthy-people/
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:03:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 6:20:45 AM EDT by DesuDurDesu]
I cant find the news article yet but the 60 year old man in Fukuoka, his wife has or is showing symptoms.  Also they went around by Nishitetsu bus(crowded busses), sooooo.....

https://www.nishinippon.co.jp/sp/item/n/585847/

17th husband went to a hospital diagnosed with a cold went to work by taxi. On the 20th was positive.  Wife was commuting by bus until the 16th, now is infected.  Son is negative but i say not for long.  So that shits so that shit is soreading around for sure, hospital(s), taxis, busses.  Gfd
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:04:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rhs77430:

Our government has fumblefucked this entire thing from the start... but this might be the worst yet.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/20/coronavirus-infected-americans-flown-back-to-us-on-plane-full-of-healthy-people/
View Quote
State Dept: "What does the CDC know about disease control and prevention?"
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:08:38 AM EDT
Why did the thread with the medical guy from Idaho that was working on a Covid-19 patient get nuked?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:10:00 AM EDT
Have there been any updates on the claims that people who had the virus and recovered were getting reinfected?

Seemed like probable BS at the time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:13:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By teamr2:
Why did the thread with the medical guy from Idaho that was working on a Covid-19 patient get nuked?
View Quote
OPSEC.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:19:36 AM EDT
Is there a recommended OTC meds list anywhere?

Mucinex
Anti diareah
Tylenol
?????
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:25:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DesuDurDesu:
I cant find the news article yet but the 60 year old man in Fukuoka, his wife has or is showing symptoms.  Also they went around by Nishitetsu bus(crowded busses), sooooo.....

https://www.nishinippon.co.jp/sp/item/n/585847/

17th husband went to a hospital diagnosed with a cold went to work by taxi. On the 20th was positive.  Wife was commuting by bus until the 16th, now is infected.  Son is negative but i say not for long.  So that shits so that shit is soreading around for sure, hospital(s), taxis, busses.  Gfd
View Quote
Just so it isnt missed but probably will be
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:46:14 AM EDT
I flew back to Shanghai last night.  Gated community guards would not let me enter. so I called 110 (like our 911).  Fortunately my papers were in order.  The police ordered the guards, who report to the local "neighborhood committee', to let me go to my 19th floor apartment.  I was reminded today that I am not permitted to leave my apartment for 14 days, even to walk around within the compound (luckily I have my own gym equipment).  Community guards are acting as my servants in delivering food or sending/delivering parcels to the front gate for courier pickup.

AMA.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:01:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Undefined:

SCBA and supplied air for the win.

PAPR is good, but known clean air beats everything.
View Quote
Neat, how are you going to refill it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:02:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 7:04:56 AM EDT by David0858]
Feb 21  - Deaths outside China*.

Feb 20   South Korea  63 yo male "hospitalized due to schizophrenia for an extended period" (20 years I read),  Korean

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/south-korea-reports-first-coronavirus-death-infections-linked-church-rise-n1139821

Feb 20   Diamond Princess  84 yo female “underlying health conditions” Japanese

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/two-passengers-from-coronavirus-stricken-cruise-ship-die-in-japan/

Feb 20   Diamond Princess  87 yo male “underlying health conditions” Japanese

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/two-passengers-from-coronavirus-stricken-cruise-ship-die-in-japan/

Feb 19 Hong Kong - 71 yo male "the man had an underlying illnesses" Chinese(?)

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1509406-20200219.htm

Feb 16 Taiwan - 61 yo male Taxi driver with diabetes and hepatitis B, Chinese

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/16/taiwan-reports-first-death-from-coronavirus

Feb 15 France - 80 yo male, Chinese from Hubei

https://www.france24.com/en/20200215-france-announces-first-coronavirus-death-outside-asia

Feb 13 Japan - Female in her 80s, Japanese?

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/875/

Feb 4 Hong Kong - 39 yo male "unspecified underlying health issues", Chinese had visited Wuhan day before quarantine

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/04/802533379/first-death-in-hong-kong- from-coronavirus

Feb 2 Philippines - 44 yo male, had Flu b and strep, Chinese male from Wuhan

https://www.doh.gov.ph/press-release/DOH-reveals-more-negative-2019-nCoV-cases-confirms-first-nCoV-ARD-death-in-PH

* Dates may be off due to dateline and article date

I'll keep this updated unless it gets to be too much work. Hopefully it will stay easy to keep up with as that'll mean not very many are dying.

*Note - I'm not touching Iran. That's too weird and I don't believe a word of it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:08:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By behindenemylines:
I flew back to Shanghai last night.  Gated community guards would not let me enter. so I called 110 (like our 911).  Fortunately my papers were in order.  The police ordered the guards, who report to the local "neighborhood committee', to let me go to my 19th floor apartment.  I was reminded today that I am not permitted to leave my apartment for 14 days, even to walk around within the compound (luckily I have my own gym equipment).  Community guards are acting as my servants in delivering food or sending/delivering parcels to the front gate for courier pickup.

AMA.
View Quote
Well the screen name certainly fits.

What did your friends in China say before you went back? Reporting bad stuff and tell you to stay home?

I bet if you start your own thread it would be 500 posts by your 14th day
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:10:18 AM EDT

AMA.
View Quote
Screen name checks out!

What do you do for a living there?

Does it appear that the manufacturing base is doing their thing?

Is the port open for imports/exports?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:14:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 7:20:08 AM EDT by Mach]
Originally Posted By macro:
Its also ridiculous guidance, because they know damn well that the majority of hospitals aren't going to be able to provide negative pressure isolation for an MCI. No hospitals have surge capacity for isolation rooms...and certainly not iso rooms in ICUs. Regardless of what they think the appropriate clinical protocol is, this isn't remotely realistic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macro:
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:
Originally Posted By Mach:
As of 12 Feb CDC is recommending:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

an AIIR is a negative pressure room.
CDC is saying use airborne precautions, just like measles.

This is big
Unsettingly big.
Its also ridiculous guidance, because they know damn well that the majority of hospitals aren't going to be able to provide negative pressure isolation for an MCI. No hospitals have surge capacity for isolation rooms...and certainly not iso rooms in ICUs. Regardless of what they think the appropriate clinical protocol is, this isn't remotely realistic.
I think this is the CDC saying it is airborne, like measles.

Everybody knows there are very few AIIR rooms, this guidance is them saying to treat it like measles and polio, because it is spread airborne, not just aerosol.

If you look under CDC guidance for airborne pathogens, they have guidance on what to do if you don't have an AIIR room and just have to make due.

@The_Bear_Slayer

Has  the CDC guidance ever said us Airborne Precautions and AIIR before when it wasn't airborne?  Is this the CDC saying use overkill or is this the CDC telling us it is airborne like measles?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:16:10 AM EDT
So that's roughly $50 per.

Are the inspections current?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:23:16 AM EDT
Peak Prosperity (de-monetized / not-suggested / blacklisted)

As long as everything is cleared  by someone so I don't have to have an opinion
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:23:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sherrick13:
I got the flu shot.  I wash my hands often.  I avoid people with the flu.  I carry a gun.  I wear my seatbelt.

Im much less worried about the corona than I am influenza B.  Cuz B has about a 1000x greater chance to actually affect me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By METT-T:
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
Driving killed 100 Americans today. Unhealthy food probably 1000. How many did the scary new virus of the week kill?
You left out the real flu.  Probably killed 1000 or more just last week .   CDC estimates 14,000-36,000 deaths this season from the REGULAR FLU!

Just so we can compare.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/deaths-from-flu-2633829

Deaths in Flu PandemicsThere have been several known flu pandemics throughout history. Some were more widespread in certain geographic areas, but the impact of a pandemic is usually felt, at least to some degree, worldwide.

1889 Russian flu pandemic: About 1 million flu deaths

1918 Spanish flu pandemic: Over 40 to 50 million flu deaths, including about 675,000 in the United States. The flu infected over half of the world's population by the end of this pandemic.

1957 Asian flu pandemic: Over 1 million flu deaths, including about 69,800 in the United States

1968 Hong Kong flu pandemic: About 1 to 3 million flu deaths   (Can you imagine Arfcom following a season with 3 million deaths?)

2009 H1N1 flu pandemic: Between 8,870 and 18,300 deaths in the United States and up to 203,000 deaths worldwide specifically from H1N1

Corona very well might not even make beat any of these.
This is some weird shit. Thought conservatives were supposed to have threat-oriented brains?

There's a good chance this will somehow fizzle out and not impact America. Public health wins.

There's a good chance it'll have the same impact as a regular flu season, meaning that you're 3-5 times more likely to die from coronavirus than in a gunfight this year.

There's a small chance that it'll kill hundreds of thousands of Americans.

There's a smaller but still real chance that it'll kill millions of Americans. Still more likely than you getting in a gunfight.

You still carry a gun tho right? How much time do you spend training and thinking about it?
I got the flu shot.  I wash my hands often.  I avoid people with the flu.  I carry a gun.  I wear my seatbelt.

Im much less worried about the corona than I am influenza B.  Cuz B has about a 1000x greater chance to actually affect me.
COVID19 is many times more contagious than seasonal flu and by optimistic accounts about 30 times more deadly or worse. Your worry is misappropriated.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:23:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 7:33:27 AM EDT by AverageJoe365]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:25:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

Is that including? Doesn't seem like it https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459941/96439C20-AA82-4A99-9320-3CA268940793_jpe-1284971.JPG
View Quote
This one says yes :

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:46:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 7:48:02 AM EDT by AverageJoe365]
Peak traffic congestion same time in 2019 was 76%
Peak traffic congestion today in 2020 is 18%

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic-index/beijing-traffic

Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:48:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:

Per WHO, average deaths worldwide per year is 58 million.

Current estimate of world population: 7.65 billion.

Assumed CFR of 2% means 153 million.

Assuming it currently only infects 60% of the population, with the same CFR, it's 92 million.

So this has the potential to kill off two to three times the yearly average, on top of the yearly average of 58 million.

I personally wouldn't be that flippant about it.
View Quote
yes and  no. Sure 90 million dead would be a drop in the bucket as far as  global population goes, but how many of those are farmers? logistics engineers? ect. what about the fear of this that keeps people from their current employments(you know farmers, cops, firefighters, nurses, doctors). If medical staff gets hit hard (which DUH it will they are literally front line, you can only dodge so many bullets before you get hit, they went and stood next to the target at the local firing range with a pair of latex gloves, mask, and goggles for protection), after that happens what are we looking at for other NORMAL causes hitting the population. what is the medical profession's elasticity to bounce back from a 60% infection rate(i assume 100% for front line over a year) as well as their ability to absorb high losses. we are already importing doctors and nurses from other countries (who are mad at us for paying our doctors 50%+ more than they will make back home)…

Getting Corona might be more than simply a fever and then getting well, it might mean serious implications to health and liveleyhood 5-15 years down the way.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:51:17 AM EDT
If you're conclusion is that this virus is not spreading then you need to re-evaluate your conclusion.
Really???
You are really trying to say it's not spreading with the news today out of South Korea, Japan and Singapore?
View All Quotes

lol there was no indication in December it would be the case in China.

but it wont be a month, probably take 3 or more given our size difference and our response being more ready

What is 'here' for you?
And how do you know it's not spreading?
The CDC testing regime appears to be severely hampered now.
That's putting it mildly.
“Here” for me is the US.

Really???
One either has to believe that for some yet unknown reason it isn't spreading here like it is in many other countries

or

The US govt is covering up numbers by not testing and not having pressers anymore, all while the CDC has published guidance saying to use airborne precautions and negative pressure rooms.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:57:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TheAvatar9265ft:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheAvatar9265ft:
Originally Posted By rhs77430:

Only half joking to say that that's a reasonable question given their recent performance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:06:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 8:13:26 AM EDT by rca2222]
Originally Posted By RaisedByWolves:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RaisedByWolves:

Don't buy a used SCBA tank or cylinder before watching this video
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:06:16 AM EDT

AMA.
View Quote
Would you get put on a list if you were to order some RANDOM stuff, " 67 copies of "Moby Dick", a football helmet full of cottage cheese, naked photos of B. Arthur..
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:11:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By boltcatch:
You're not accounting for US authorities both being aggressively lax about testing and, to a smaller extent, shipping fucked up test kits.   CDC obviously really didn't want to find jack shit for weeks.

They're not going to be able to hide it once a bunch of hospital workers test positive or they have to shut a school or two down.  My bet is on "not as severe", rather than "not spreading", though, with most deaths in the US limited to 75+.   That's assuming healthcare isn't generally overwhelmed outside of specific areas.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

There already is a school shut down in MO. A 20 year old died and his brother is hospitalized. They are blaming it on flu.

A Chinese student at RPI in Troy NY, died. They blamed it on flu. No COVID19 test.

So how do we tell COVID19 deaths from flu deaths and schools closing from flu and not COVID19

I don't think we can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:18:08 AM EDT

AMA.
View Quote
Start an AMA thread. Come back and link us to it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:20:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

What did your friends in China say before you went back? Reporting bad stuff and tell you to stay home?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

AMA.

Thanks! Will take your advice and start another thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:20:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 8:21:27 AM EDT by anothermisanthrope]

This is the 3D atomic scale map or molecular structure of the SARS-2-CoV protein "spike" which the virus uses to invade human cells.

Still, McLellan thinks a vaccine is likely about 18 to 24 months away. That's "still quite fast compared to normal vaccine development, which might take like 10 years," he said.
View Quote
https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spike-protein-structure.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:24:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:26:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2020 8:32:09 AM EDT by Torqued]
Let’s get this party started.

Page / 2174