Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2021 2:29:38 PM EDT
Any BOP here? Thinking of applying for a job with them that gets me closer to family. Just wanting to see how it is.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Retired for a while now, but did 22 yrs.
For me, it was good. I was a Union electrician before I went w BOP (and now) and was a work supervisor running a crew of convicts inside that did the maintenance and new construction that we needed. Also became a firearms instructor and then a lead instructor. FWIW, cons are interesting and ... in many ways, no more “abnormal” than some of the staff you’ll work with. I found it to be part of a good career that I’m proud of. You can move up or often transfer to another location or agency if you can qualify and work the federal system a bit.
Benefits are good, too. You’ll meet some great people and some real asses. Learn from the good ones and keep your nose clean. Get all the training you can.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Retired for a while now, but did 22 yrs.
For me, it was good. I was a Union electrician before I went w BOP (and now) and was a work supervisor running a crew of convicts inside that did the maintenance and new construction that we needed. Also became a firearms instructor and then a lead instructor. FWIW, cons are interesting and ... in many ways, no more “abnormal” than some of the staff you’ll work with. I found it to be part of a good career that I’m proud of. You can move up or often transfer to another location or agency if you can qualify and work the federal system a bit.
Benefits are good, too. You’ll meet some great people and some real asses. Learn from the good ones and keep your nose clean. Get all the training you can.

Stay safe
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Currently a 0083 for DOD civilian and this would be a pay raise and I would finally get that GL pay
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Did it for three months and couldn’t stand it. I was at an MCC and most inmates were either awaiting trial or sent to the location because it was close to home for when they got released. It wasn’t a prison that you would stereotypically imagine, people serving time for example.

The prisoners were fine but the place was ran like shit. Staffing was always a problem, people calling in sick daily and getting forced for overtime 10 minutes before you were supposed to leave every few days. Some staff were alright guys and some were the typical TSA type.

It takes a certain type of person to be a CO and stick with it for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Not BOP or corrections myself, but know several. One common thing they’ve mentioned is that you have to wrap your mind around the fact that you’ll be “incarcerated” for 1/3rd of your life going forward (until you eventually leave the job through retirement, transfer, quit, etc.).
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a little over 6 years in and we are hiring like crazy. Lots of things to do once you are in other than be housing using officer but still get LEO pay. I'd be happy to help anyway I can https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580562400
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I did 3 year in the early/mid 1990s as a CO in the BOP and it was OK…  Not a great job, but not a bad job either.  Also, it depends where you work as well.  I worked at a MDC, which kind of sucked since as stated, you got screwed over, at least 2 times a week with people calling out sick.  Trust me, 16 hours in a prison basically sucks.

In the BOP, most every employee, Correctional Officers to even the Clerks, Cooks or Plumbers are considered law enforcement, for retirement purposes, which isn’t a bad thing.  

With that said, I was able to transfer into a different federal agency and move into far far better positions, which means a better retirement.

If you do end up in the BOP, apply for every training opportunity they offer since there are some great training opportunities available that WILL make you far more attractive to a different agency.

The BOP “academy” at FLETC is/was only two weeks, but hopefully that’s changed since it should be a lot longer.

Again, it’s not a bad job, but it gets old as a CO…. The one positive thing about the BOP is that they finally got rid of that stupid blazer as part of your duty uniform!!   And it “appears” that they eased up a little on wearing their “badge” since it’s now sewn into the newer CO uniforms.  Plus, I notice that they now even sell a close copy of this “badge” at the on-site FLETC store.  Plus, Sally’s Cop shop sells the same “badge” as well.

IMHO, some people will make a career in the BOP “as an actual Correctional Officer” and some will stay within the BOP, but move into a different department.  But!!  Most, like myself, used the BOP to get to where you really want to be within federal law enforcement.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
BOP...???...Brick Oven Pizza ...
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BOP...???...Brick Oven Pizza ...
View Quote

Ha!!

We had a mini riot in one of the dorms and all the inmates started to chant “BOP… Bunch Of Punks” over and over.  

You have to find humor in everything when working as a CO.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
@WilsonC

I see you're in Ohio. If you're looking at FCI Elkton, shoot me a PM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top