Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2020 7:54:14 PM EDT
Ender 3 Pro w/ 1.1.4 main board. No mods other than glass bed. Tried to install the BLTouch today, got all the hardware in and started to update the firmware. When I first plugged in the USB burner thing, I got the "installing drivers" prompt like when plugging in a new USB device for the first time. After that closed, no windows popped up and it didn't show up in the My Computer window, so I couldn't open the progisp.exe file. Tried other ports to no avail. Found the program on Creality's site and got it downloaded. When the program opens I get "Access violation at address 7716FA4F in module 'KERNELBASE.dll'. Read of address 0078D000"
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
May have it figured out. Will update when I'm able to reinstall the BLTouch tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#2]
One issue I had with the BLTouch on a Wanhao D6/MMU was interference. It was working fine with the 1.5m extension I got for it for a couple of weeks. Then one day while going to a .6 nozzle it just stopped working. It always came back as Z_min: triggered. After checking the wiring 20 times and trying out a new bltouch I deciced to use cat6 cable as the extension.

No issues so far. Just putting this here in case anybody runs into mysterious bltouch issues.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, what a POS!

Got the firmware stuff to load (gotta remove all the Chinese letters in ANY file folder that holds the progisp file).

Got everything installed (you can't put the cover back on the board with the 27 pin thing in there). Did the z-axis offset. I'd select auto home and SOMETIMES would deploy the probe tip. Seems like it was binding, so I removed one screw from the base and it seemed to work every time. Then I did bed leveling and it would probe the front 3, the middle 3 would raise the extruder about halfway up the gantry, the rear 3 MIGHT get probed. I tired a single layer print, but it would zero out several inches above the bed. Tried to remove everything and put it back to stock. The screen makes a very rapid beeping without the 27 pin thing in there. Now, it still wants to do the auto home routine like it has the probe installed and bottoms out the z-axis switch instead of stopping at the switch point. It drove the tip into the bed pretty hard a few times.

Anyone have an idea on how to flash back to the stock firmware? It's essentially made my printer useless.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you ran out of RAM on the upgrade.

I would upgrade the board.
View Quote

I just want it to work as stock, it printed great and I really didn't need the ABL. I just HAD to fucking fiddle with shit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#7]
there are alot of facebook groups  or check on redit somebody may have compiled a firmware for your printer to make it work or found a work around

I found a precompiled firmware on redit somebody wrote adding bltouch for the cr 10 v3 and it works great
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
there are alot of facebook groups  or check on redit somebody may have compiled a firmware for your printer to make it work or found a work around

I found a precompiled firmware on redit somebody wrote adding bltouch for the cr 10 v3 and it works great
View Quote

Dont have FB anymore. Scoured reddit alot and everyone says "just remove everything, it will work fine". No, no it doesnt. Tried contacting Creality when I first couldnt get it to flash the new firmware but they never responded. Should've taken that as a sign and returned it.

I'm pretty sure if I had the hex file for the original firmware, I could flash it back using their burner thing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#9]
See if this blog posting provides any useful insight:

https://kevin-douglas.com/2020/09/21/installing-the-creality-bltouch-auto-bed-leveling-kit-on-my-ender-3/

it references this blog entry which describes another user's experiences :

https://medium.com/@jethro_20307/creality-ender-3-pro-bltouch-v3-1-marlin-1-1-9-1-e3512ed9c81a

My own experience was on an original ender 3 (1.1.3 board), first using an Arduino Uno as an in-line programmer to burn the boot loader, then the direct USB connection between printer & PC to actually install an ender 3 version of marlin, using the example configuration files from marlin and the Arduino IDE for compiling & uploading.  I have never tried to reinstall stock software.   There was adequate memory on the 1.1.3  to include mesh leveling in marlin & later to add BLtouch support.  I used the 10 pin BLtouch breakout adapter (aka pin 27 adapter) for the BLtouch connection rather than modifying a cable.

FWIW, I currently run an MKS Gen L board with marlin 2.0.7 (now using Visual Studio & Platform IO for compiling & uploading) & feel the board upgrade was worth the effort.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dont have FB anymore. Scoured reddit alot and everyone says "just remove everything, it will work fine". No, no it doesnt. Tried contacting Creality when I first couldnt get it to flash the new firmware but they never responded. Should've taken that as a sign and returned it.

I'm pretty sure if I had the hex file for the original firmware, I could flash it back using their burner thing.
View Quote

Marlin gives default configs for a lot of printers, Creality included.  Compile and flash that.

Or, go to the creality github, and flash their pre-compiled firmware.  https://github.com/Creality3DPrinting/Ender-3/tree/master/Ender-3%20Firmware%20
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Marlin gives default configs for a lot of printers, Creality included.  Compile and flash that.

Or, go to the creality github, and flash their pre-compiled firmware.  https://github.com/Creality3DPrinting/Ender-3/tree/master/Ender-3%20Firmware%20
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found that last night while troubleshooting. Problem is, I dont know what to do with that wall o' text. Do I copy and paste it to word and save it as a .hex file? I'm well out in the weeds on that kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I found that last night while troubleshooting. Problem is, I dont know what to do with that wall o' text. Do I copy and paste it to word and save it as a .hex file? I'm well out in the weeds on that kind of stuff.
View Quote

there's your problem Squirell needs to be in a tree
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that, its snowing outside.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

What did you do to compile support for the BL Touch?  Do the same thing with the default files on the Marlin Github.  Or, just flash the .hex file provided by creality.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Look, just dump the POS Creality board.
Buy the BIGTREETECH DIRECT BTT SKR Mini E3 V2.0 Control Board 32Bit +TFT35 E3 V3.0 Integrated with TMC2209 UART
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089DBS62S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

It is so much better than the super cheap OEM board and gives you thermal runaway protection.
Then burn the BTT software for the configuration you want. (No BLT, BLT without Z, BLT with Z stop)
And the TFT takes SD cards so you don't have to mess with the microcards or extender cable flopping around.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What did you do to compile support for the BL Touch?  Do the same thing with the default files on the Marlin Github.  Or, just flash the .hex file provided by creality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Theres a program that comes with the BLTouch that loads and flashes the hex file. I didnt compile anything. The only hex files I could find are the newest version with bed leveling.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Look, just dump the POS Creality board.
Buy the BIGTREETECH DIRECT BTT SKR Mini E3 V2.0 Control Board 32Bit +TFT35 E3 V3.0 Integrated with TMC2209 UART
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089DBS62S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

It is so much better than the super cheap OEM board and gives you thermal runaway protection.
Then burn the BTT software for the configuration you want. (No BLT, BLT without Z, BLT with Z stop)
And the TFT takes SD cards so you don't have to mess with the microcards or extender cable flopping around.

TYCOM
View Quote

What all do I need to make that happen? Just what is at the link? Plug and play kinda thing?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What all do I need to make that happen? Just what is at the link? Plug and play kinda thing?
View Quote

If you want you don't even have to get the screen. You can just do the board.  SKR mini 1.2 or 2.0 Prices are around $35.  Might even be a better this coming friday?

Yes they are plug and play (you can do firmware upgrades once you are more comfortable) but they function right out of the box as is.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you want you don't even have to get the screen. You can just do the board.  SKR mini 1.2 or 2.0 Prices are around $35.  Might even be a better this coming friday?

Yes they are plug and play (you can do firmware upgrades once you are more comfortable) but they function right out of the box as is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might give it a go then if I dont get this thing fingered out.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can confirm this is true. I just did this (HUGE) upgrade to my Ender 3. It can run your printer straught out of the box. Be sure to take pictures before disconnecting anything or tape & label your wires.

But, I like to screw with things and am running this board with a BL Touch. Though to make it work, I had to swap my power and ground wires in the connector going to the board.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can confirm this is true. I just did this (HUGE) upgrade to my Ender 3. It can run your printer straught out of the box. Be sure to take pictures before disconnecting anything or tape & label your wires.

But, I like to screw with things and am running this board with a BL Touch. Though to make it work, I had to swap my power and ground wires in the connector going to the board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'll just order the kit tonight and if the price drops for BF, then I'll just order another and return the first one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think I'll just order the kit tonight and if the price drops for BF, then I'll just order another and return the first one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Wait...I can add wifi control with the BTT board!? Damn this hobby!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Should be here Friday. Hopefully, I can get it running that night.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the same issue other than I can’t get to the point of updating the firmware.  I don’t mind getting a new board, where is a good place to get a new board that all I have to do is plug the damn thing in?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#28]
On the SKR Mini E3, skip the TFT35 screen and forget about the Wifi.  The screen doesn't work when you have a filament runout sensor and the Wifi is too slow.  I went all out with an upgrade to an original CR-10.  The SKR Mini E3 is the best upgrade I've ever done.  It's amazing how quiet it is.  I can finally run long prints overnight without being driven mad with the stepper noise.  It also allowed me to add a BLTouch, filament runout sensor and neopixel LEDs.  I did custom firmware in stages to first get the printer working, then one by one added the other components and running it for a while.  Everything was great including the TFT35 until I added the filament runout sensor.  Hopefully they'll update the TFT35 firmware one of these days to allow it to respond to the runout event.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think there are some quirks with that module.  So research it more before you get too excited.

Don't forget the best part of that board will be the silent drivers.  Soon you'll be wanting silent fans.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have the same issue other than I can’t get to the point of updating the firmware.  I don’t mind getting a new board, where is a good place to get a new board that all I have to do is plug the damn thing in?
View Quote

Amazon

SKR Mini 1.2 or the 2.0

I have 1.2 in both of my machines so I can't comment on the 2.0's There was a slight upgrade but nothing real dramatic so i never looked into them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@tnertb will those accommodate the BLTouch out of the box or do they need the software upgrade?
View Quote

I don't run the BL touch so I'm not 100% as to what's needed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
On the SKR Mini E3, skip the TFT35 screen and forget about the Wifi.  The screen doesn't work when you have a filament runout sensor and the Wifi is too slow.  I went all out with an upgrade to an original CR-10.  The SKR Mini E3 is the best upgrade I've ever done.  It's amazing how quiet it is.  I can finally run long prints overnight without being driven mad with the stepper noise.  It also allowed me to add a BLTouch, filament runout sensor and neopixel LEDs.  I did custom firmware in stages to first get the printer working, then one by one added the other components and running it for a while.  Everything was great including the TFT35 until I added the filament runout sensor.  Hopefully they'll update the TFT35 firmware one of these days to allow it to respond to the runout event.
View Quote

Yeah I have the tft35 on one of my machines and after getting it am not thrilled with it. I run it in standard marlin mode. Glad I only paid $10 for it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think there are some quirks with that module.  So research it more before you get too excited.

Don't forget the best part of that board will be the silent drivers.  Soon you'll be wanting silent fans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the reviews are either "this thing isn't worth the postage" or "best thing invented this century". Would be cool for some of the other monitoring and configuration stuff.

The printer lives in the basement, so the sounds are what I use to let me know if it's done printing or not.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@tnertb will those accommodate the BLTouch out of the box or do they need the software upgrade?

What probe do you run? The BLTouch seems a bit "clunky". We'll see how/if it runs with the BTT board.

@medicmandan BTT has the firmware on their github for running the BLTouch. Looks like it's all been added within the last month, so who knows if boards are shipping with it already flashed. Link
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What probe do you run? The BLTouch seems a bit "clunky". We'll see how/if it runs with the BTT board.

@medicmandan BTT has the firmware on their github for running the BLTouch. Looks like it's all been added within the last month, so who knows if boards are shipping with it already flashed. Link
View Quote

I don't use anything.  Just manual mesh bed leveling with paper.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#36]
For anyone interested in attempting to do custom firmware for an Ender 3 or CR-10 (with a few adjustments) on an SKR Mini E3 this guide walks you through it: https://www.reddit.com/r/ender3/comments/h8y1ia/marlin_20x_guide_skr_mini_e3_v20_ender_3/

This video is also helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtCz_-2zvZo
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may just forgo the ABL stuff. I never had any issues printing with a manual check of level whenever I pulled the bed off.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I run a BL touch on the SKR board on my Ender 3 and that setup will not work properly out of the box. But, flashing the firmware is as easy as dragging and dropping a .bin file to your SD card.

Edit to add: I also had to swap the power and ground wires on the three-pin connector going to the board to make it work properly. It's a 30 second fix that took me about two frustrating hours to troubleshoot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Got the BTT in this morning and have spent nearly all day tweaking this thing. Definitely not "plug-n-play" but 95%. Of course, my BLT has different wire colors than 99% of all the references out of there from people that have done them before, so I had to take a swing and move pins around until they did work. Every tutorial/review/how-to said to flip the hot end fan connectors on the board so it will be PWM controlled instead of 24/7. When I did that, the fan NEVER turned on. Flipped them back to normal, now it just runs whenever the power is on. Guess that's better than not running and risking melting things.

M-fing thing is quiet as shit now though. I have no idea if it's still running unless I go downstairs and check it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Got the BTT in this morning and have spent nearly all day tweaking this thing. Definitely not "plug-n-play" but 95%. Of course, my BLT has different wire colors than 99% of all the references out of there from people that have done them before, so I had to take a swing and move pins around until they did work. Every tutorial/review/how-to said to flip the hot end fan connectors on the board so it will be PWM controlled instead of 24/7. When I did that, the fan NEVER turned on. Flipped them back to normal, now it just runs whenever the power is on. Guess that's better than not running and risking melting things.

M-fing thing is quiet as shit now though. I have no idea if it's still running unless I go downstairs and check it.
View Quote

Now we gotta talk you into compiling your own custom firmware.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy now, Hoss. Baby steps here. Gotta get it dialed in first. It's mostly there and is making dimensionally accurate prints. The extruder, during infill ops, will very occasionally skip like it's feeding more than the tip can use/dispense. While I was running the last test piece, I went into the speed menu and dialed it back about 5% but I don't know if it did any good. Like I said, it's a very occasional occurrence and not always in the same place every time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Increase nozzle temp 5 degrees
View Quote

Another weird observation: I'm going through each color I have and just making a small sample cube. First one ran at the speed it was programmed. The next one, I saw it was like 138%. Next one was 180-something%. The one running now is going 281%. Everything is printing fine, but it's weird that it's increasing its speed by itself. Running the exact same print file as the others.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Re: nozzle temps and extruder skipping. I installed PrusaSlicer last night just to play around with another program. It is what I've been using all day and noticed that the temps are 10C higher using its default settings compared to Cura. Same extruder feed rate. May have to run a few of the same print but sliced by Cura and see what it does.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, the reviews are either "this thing isn't worth the postage" or "best thing invented this century". Would be cool for some of the other monitoring and configuration stuff.

The printer lives in the basement, so the sounds are what I use to let me know if it's done printing or not.
View Quote

You can program your printer to beep when it's done ;)
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on...

Is the beep volume adjustable? Cuz if it's only as loud as the beep I heard while messing around with it, I'm not going to hear it unless I'm standing within 5 feet of it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#47]
To loud for me to sleep through in the same room so I got rid of it.
Ender 3 playing music at print start and print end
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Intersting. May give it a try, though I don't have the stock Ender screen anymore and the beeper on the BTT TFT is pretty soft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top