Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2023 4:40:46 PM EDT
I suddenly got the bug to be free of endless wires coming from my probes so I finally did some reading on these new truly wireless probes.  Any input on which brand is actually the most reliable, problem-free option?  So far, I'm thinking the Meater Block might be the way to go.  (despite the insane tracker bullshit on their site)  However, it seems that all of these options are going to be less-reliable than something like a ThermaQ.  (which I expected, and I'm willing to tolerate)

I know I can count on GD to tell me all the ways I'm wrong so please share your experiences!    What did you buy, are you happy, are there other brands I'm missing?

From what I've read:

Meater Block

Probe count:  the Meater Block has 4 probes, which is good.  However, I didn't see anything on their site about how many blocks can be paired to the app at one time.  (so I'm assuming one base/4 probes)
Range: The Block model has both Bluetooth and Wifi.  They also have their "cloud" service but if I'm understanding things correctly, you have to leave your phone in range (on your wifi, for example) to transmit into the cloud and then use a different phone/tablet/PC to access the cloud.  I don't have a ton of need to monitor while I'm out of the house but this seems a bit useless, at least for me.
App: From the videos I watched it seems fine, does all the things it needs to.
Reliability:  I've read a fair amount of complaints about the BT connectivity being unstable, and some reports of how pairing might be sketchy.
Price:  ~$300 for 4 probes
Other shit that annoyed me:  Brave blocked 84 trackers and ads.  84!!!

Twin TempSpike

Probe count:  2, though you can pair up to 3 bases to the app for a total of 6.
Range: It appears this is Bluetooth only.
App: Seems standard and does all the things.
Reliability: I've read a bunch of reports about BT stability being typically sketchy and actual range not matching up to claims.
Price: ~$200 for 2 probes
Other shit that annoyed me:  Brave only blocked 10 trackers and ads.  

ChefIQ

Probe count:  1 comes with the base, can add up to 2 more for additional cost.
Range: BT and wifi
App: Seems standard and does all the things, though it does seem like all the preset stuff is useless and you'd always be using custom cook.  (hard to tell from some of the videos out there)
Reliability: I haven't found much feedback in this regard but I did watch one YT video where the reviewer commented on how stable the base is.  (was very positive about it)
Price: ~$100 for base with 1 probe, can't see how much the additional probes are because they're out of stock.  I noticed that probes #2 and #3 are specific products, they're not just generic/assignable by the user.  This could be really annoying when ordering replacements.
Other shit that annoyed me: Brave blocked 28 trackers and ads.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
OST
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my fireboard so much, i havent even looked at the wireless options.     Thx for bringing this up, i will watch responses for the info.

But battery life, interface, and functionality of fireboard is perfect IMO.    Id just as soon wait for them to make a wireless option.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have and like the Meater Block however, their app is annoying in that if/when you take something out to wrap, it thinks you are done and triggers the rest routine.

Don’t be fooled by the misleading title, Smoking Dad says the Meater is still #1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkUDVbJM2pI
View Quote

Thank you and thanks for that video!
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
From Chris Young
Predictive Thermometer

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The above video was one of several I watched, as well as many reviews, I ended up with the Meater Block.  I love it so far.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like those options with multiple sensors, at different depths, in the probes.  If that Combustion probe had wifi, I would probably jump on it.  The Meater Block is still looking like the choice right now, though.

Actually, I might just get both out of curiosity!
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I run the meater block in my 4 rack rotisserie smoker. I’ve been very happy with it and I was excited when they came out with it. I’ve had it 3-4 years and I still like it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the regular meter. Not the block. Range is very poor. Less than 20’. The block may be better.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good grief? Hundreds of dollars for a meat thermometer?
View Quote

For smoking it's nice. Allows you to leave the cooler closed and relax inside until it hits the temp you need. Also allows a perfect cook Everytime. We're not talking a steak that you're grilling and you can touch and determine doneness, a 14 hour brisket opened every few hours to check if it's ready prolongs cook time.

Some people take this seriously, thousands of dollars on a smoker, a few hundred on a cut of meat. Over cooking it would suck and this would save you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have a remote thermometer for smoking also, but nothing that Gucci.
View Quote

I run a signals and love it though truly wireless sounds nice. Also got it heavily discounted at like 100 bucks so it was worth it. When mine dies I'll look at a truly wireless block like this
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the TempSpike

No complaints
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe @Quiganomics recommended one in a smoking thread a few weeks back. Tag for input as well, my DigiQ is getting a bit old, and I too am sick of the wires.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a meater but can't speak to the others.  Biggest gripe is that enabling cloud monitoring seems slightly less complicated than the moon landing at times.  I need a dedicated phone within 20 or so ft of the grill, base needs to be right next to the grill.  If the relay phone drops signal while you are logging in on your monitoring phone, you have to start over.

That said, it's pretty damn accurate and really helped me with temp control as I was learning.  Plus, I can continue to monitor temp during the rest to make sure everything stays hot enough.   For roasts it's very accurate at predicting temperature to pull at in order to hit your target temp.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#17]
My TempSpike is fucking huge in terms of the probe/shaft diameter, and you have to insert it all the way in to the meat until you get to a certain point on the probe shaft where the internal meat sensor is fully in the meat or, according to the mfg, "it can be damaged by the ambient oven temps."  I haven't been able to test the supposed amazing Bluetooth range because I still haven't cooked something large enough to be able to pierce the meat that deep.  Seems it would be great for something like smoking a brisket or chicken, but it's not going to be very useful otherwise.  YMMV, I guess.

I was also caught off guard by the non-replaceable internal, rechargeable battery design.  Not a fan of something that might not last long enough to get my money's worth if the battery starts to go bad early.

I doubt I'll waste my money on another wireless probe.  If anything, I'll look for something that I can sit next to the grill that displays temp in big, easy-to-see numbers that also takes multiple (at least 2) wired probes and can relay the data to a smartphone app that mimics the physical device's display.  If anyone knows of a product that can do all of this, please let us know!

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#18]
MEATER Plus is the wae.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the meater. The range in a smoker is less than two feet. I contacted customer service and they said that they make no guarantee that the meater will work. Terrible company. I strongly advise people not to buy meater. Also, the only way to contact customer support is through email. They have no live people and the responses are all generic responses until so many emails and then a live person will email you back within a few days.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I believe @Quiganomics recommended one in a smoking thread a few weeks back. Tag for input as well, my DigiQ is getting a bit old, and I too am sick of the wires.
View Quote
Chef IQ.

I've used ThermoPro, Meater, and a few others, Chef  iQ hands down is the most accurate and easiest to connect. With the hub, range is incredible...I can throw a brisket on, drive 30 miles away to visit with a friend, and monitor my temps from my phone.

Also has the smallest/skinniest probe of all the ones I've used.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For smoking it's nice. Allows you to leave the cooler closed and relax inside until it hits the temp you need. Also allows a perfect cook Everytime. We're not talking a steak that you're grilling and you can touch and determine doneness, a 14 hour brisket opened every few hours to check if it's ready prolongs cook time.

Some people take this seriously, thousands of dollars on a smoker, a few hundred on a cut of meat. Over cooking it would suck and this would save you.

Wireless is very nice for rotisserie chicken. Haven’t found it’s better for anything else, but the Meater+ I was given does work well, so no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Have the Meater, and just used it over the weekend.  It's an older model I was given as a gift.  Works well, fairly accurate, long battery life.  My only complaint is the bluetooth range is not great.  Small issue that hasn't caused any problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I've yet to find a reason in all my years of cooking to need a wireless thermometer. I have a collection of thermoworks dots with needle probes and thermapens, they have served me well for 1000s of pounds of bbq and years of traveling down the road to contests.

I've had one issue with one thermometer in that time and thermoworks had me fixed up within 3 days, so no complaints
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've yet to find a reason in all my years of cooking to need a wireless thermometer. I have a collection of thermoworks dots with needle probes and thermapens, they have served me well for 1000s of pounds of bbq and years of traveling down the road to contests.

I've had one issue with one thermometer in that time and thermoworks had me fixed up within 3 days, so no complaints
View Quote

I have the four probe thermoworks wireless and it's excellent. Includes a thermocoupler so you can manage your fire temp too.  

The wireless does give you a little more freedom to create some distance from the cook. That's about the only advantage.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#26]
With enough experience you don't need a thermometer. I have never used one and my BBQ has always been perfectly cooked. Nothing beats experience and knowing your temperature, weight, and time ratios for the meats you are smoking/cooking.
I can pull pork off the smoker just in time for it to be just getting well done every time. When your meat is white at the center and the juices are running out when you cut it, it's perfect. One way to tell is how firm the meat is when you push on it. If feels firm with slight give it's ready to pull off the heat. If it's firm with little to no give it's done but will be dry as a bone (overcooked).
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Chef IQ.

I've used ThermoPro, Meater, and a few others, Chef  iQ hands down is the most accurate and easiest to connect. With the hub, range is incredible...I can throw a brisket on, drive 30 miles away to visit with a friend, and monitor my temps from my phone.

Also has the smallest/skinniest probe of all the ones I've used.

View Quote

Thanks for sharing your experience, as I never would have given them another look at this point.  (based on the research I was doing)  I'm definitely going to look again, though.

The way this is going, I might just buy a few and turn this into a big torture test...  
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a large box full of all that stuff, and it works great.  Every now and then, I just have this urge to lose all the wires.  I'm definitely looking more out of general curiosity, want to try it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top