Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2022 1:47:52 PM EDT
Would like to kick off a discussion about rub binders on meats before smoking. Lets start off with a poll.

Personally, I like to use a mixture of yellow mustard and Worcestershire sauce for beef. Pork butt is normally just yellow mustard. Or mustard and pickle juice. But never had an issue not using anything too.

I have no idea if it even helps or enhances anything by using binders. For all I know it prevents the salt from penetrating the meat to help tenderize and flavor it.

What is your opinion? What do you use?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I rinse the meat in water, then give it a shake to remove the excess.

The rub sticks just fine.

Smoked a butt and a slab of baby backs yesterday.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't normally use a binder, but saw someone on YT using Frank's.  Going to try that on a butt.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I never use a rub binder and I’ve never had an issue with the rub sticking to the meat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never use a rub binder and I’ve never had an issue with the rub sticking to the meat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I used yellow mustard on pork.  I don't use a binder on briskets.  Seems to work well for me anyway.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
From YT.

Big Ricks Jalapeño honey mustard.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Never use a binder, never had an issue.

Myron Mixon says “keep yo mustard for yo hot dogs”.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Dry rub sticks to meat just fine.  

Absolutely no reason for a 'binder' unless you want that flavor profile.  

Anyone that says 'use mustard, you won't taste it' is 10/10 nuts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I voted that it doesnt do a thing but i use yellow mustard on pork nonetheless!
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Usually do yellow mustard. I’ve done “tests” with simultaneous cooking with and without.  Not much difference, however because of your thread I decided to go no binder on a couple of butts today.  Will update.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Smoked a brisket Thursday night. Salt and pepper stuck to it just fine, no binder needed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Depends, my family likes a sweeter tasting ribs, so I use honey. Brisket, no binder. Pork butt, mustard
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I almost never do it.  I think it makes more mess than it’s worth most of the time.  I also think it absolutely affects the flavor of the bbq, though not drastically.  

Generally speaking I keep my rubs simple (salt, pepper, garlic, and sometimes MSG) and put on a glaze at the end if I’m going for a something different.

There’s always exceptions though, like if I’m making char siu.  And it’s not hurting anything if you do put a binder on as long as you are happy with the end result.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I like that Carolina mustard BBQ flavor, I’m a little different in that way.  I’ve done ketchup and mustard both on pork.  Beef I normally just rinse it then season with dry rub.  I have put a thin coat of olive oil on beef roasts then season them up and put on the smoker.

My sense of taste isn’t that great from chronic sinus and allergy issues so if I taste any flavor I generally like it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Next time you do beef, rub on some Worcestershire.  It packs a ton of umami and pairs exceptionally well with beef when cooked.  Also good when making burger patties.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Haven't done it on Chicken or a Butt yet, but my briskets get a thin smear of 50/50 Dukes Mayo and Siracha to hold the rub on.   Quite good, doesn't add much heat once it's done cooking.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only issue I have ever had was with Montreal Steak seasoning.  The particles are too large and much of it falls off.  I ran the entire batch through my spice grinder to finish it off, but I will no longer buy it.

If your rub is falling off, grind it finer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#20]
When I think a binder is needed I lightly salt the meat. Let it sit while I prepare other things. When I go back to put the rub on the salt has drawn a bit of moisture out and it binds the rub.

No taste profile change as most rubs already have salt in them.

EBR
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I've used mustard before but it left the bark kinda slimy when i pulled it out of the butcher paper

the garbage choice meat we get here generally has enough blood in the package to keep the outside moist enough to hold a rub
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Usually do yellow mustard. I’ve done “tests” with simultaneous cooking with and without.  Not much difference, however because of your thread I decided to go no binder on a couple of butts today.  Will update.
View Quote

Pork was great, I could tell no difference from what I usually do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top