Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2020 10:19:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
No responses...guess I'll give it a shot.

First off, the backpack looks lame. Yeah, blah blah, function over form...but it looks like someone took a 20 year old Jansport and shoved a Condor plate carrier down the middle. If you want cops to get hard-ons and begin self-initiated grant writing activities for a backpack, it damn well better look like something out of RECOIL, or ain't nobuddy gonna have time fo dat.

Second, I can't see any market whatsoever for soft armor backpack protection being sold to LE. Maybe someone somewhere might find a use for it in UC work or with detectives who rarely leave an office, but 99.999% of patrol officers in the US are already wearing soft armor, so it means jack shit for them. You might find some soft-headed admins somewhere who could be bamboozled into buying soft armor variants to supplement existing soft armor, but I suspect those would be few and far between.

Rifle plates...well, maybe. If packaged and marketed as a bailout kit for patrol, or an active shooter response kit for SROs, it might start to have a purpose. That seems to be what the ASR is supposed to be, but the depiction of a takedown AR (with no explanation on the page of whether such a thing would fit in the pack, nor a video of its use) muddies the waters somewhat. Probably 80% or more of agencies these days are already issuing or allowing AR15s for duty use, but damn near no one is using takedown ARs..nor are they terribly likely to shell out the cash for a new AR variant just to go in a backpack.

Showing how the ASR would be of use, via better marketing materials and a website that actually functions correctly (links to the rifle plate version are broken, and keep redirecting to the IIIA model) would go a long way towards getting a response. On the other hand, I'm seeing this being very awkward to unworkable, if used over an external carrier with items carried on the chest. Over a traditional uniform with concealed armor, and no major gear on the chest, it might be decent.

But once again, none of that matters if it looks silly. And in the current form, it looks kinda embarrassing. A better strap system, a better backpack body design, better/more colors (No coyote/FDE/DE/sand/baby puke brown? Really?!), higher quality stitching and fasteners, and maybe more modularity in the pack itself, would all go a long way towards improving the marketability of the product.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Officers, even in plain clothes, already wear soft body armor so I'm not sure what market you think exists.

It's a worthless backpack design, inferior coverage, (no sides) , leaves the pistol unsecure,  (off body carry)  bigger than the city of Baltmore and yes you are spammng the forum.

But cheer up, LARP'ers will buy them by the truckload.

A Glock with extended mags had me laughing out loud.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 12:49:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was designed to blend in, hence the conservative styling. It's a large bag compared to a Jansport or traditional bookbag, but they are two completely different products. We will be featured in RECOIL this month, so we've got your other box checked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
No responses...guess I'll give it a shot.

First off, the backpack looks lame. Yeah, blah blah, function over form...but it looks like someone took a 20 year old Jansport and shoved a Condor plate carrier down the middle. If you want cops to get hard-ons and begin self-initiated grant writing activities for a backpack, it damn well better look like something out of RECOIL, or ain't nobuddy gonna have time fo dat.

It was designed to blend in, hence the conservative styling. It's a large bag compared to a Jansport or traditional bookbag, but they are two completely different products. We will be featured in RECOIL this month, so we've got your other box checked.

If designed to blend in, then I suppose the more boring looking, the better...but past a certain point even that can be detrimental. I suppose it depends on what part of the country you live in...in some places, a Deuter or Osprey pack would blend instantly, while a Jansport immediately screams "homeless crackhead looking to score another hit".

Might be worth considering having a second, more modern styled variant. Just saying.

Second, I can't see any market whatsoever for soft armor backpack protection being sold to LE. Maybe someone somewhere might find a use for it in UC work or with detectives who rarely leave an office, but 99.999% of patrol officers in the US are already wearing soft armor, so it means jack shit for them. You might find some soft-headed admins somewhere who could be bamboozled into buying soft armor variants to supplement existing soft armor, but I suspect those would be few and far between.

Soft armor packages are bought more by civilians than LE, so you're not far off. The Survivor-1's modularity allows customers to configure their package to meet whatever threat levels and operational needs they require. The initial market for the Survivor-1 was plainclothes operators and private security and executive protection personnel, which have been very receptive to the concept.

If that's the market then, and not LE, then okay I suppose. Seems like an odd forum to bring that up on, is all. I've never heard a claim before of LE buying less armor than private citizens, and can't say that sounds plausible on the face of it, but who knows.

Rifle plates...well, maybe. If packaged and marketed as a bailout kit for patrol, or an active shooter response kit for SROs, it might start to have a purpose. That seems to be what the ASR is supposed to be, but the depiction of a takedown AR (with no explanation on the page of whether such a thing would fit in the pack, nor a video of its use) muddies the waters somewhat. Probably 80% or more of agencies these days are already issuing or allowing AR15s for duty use, but damn near no one is using takedown ARs..nor are they terribly likely to shell out the cash for a new AR variant just to go in a backpack.

The quick-takedown AR does fit and is deployable as this video shows, however, we have transitioned away from the two-piece takedown AR variants and partnered with Blackbird Armament to use thier Bantam AR platform, which stows and deploys quite easily, and requires no assembly. We are also in development with other SBR and subgun platforms

Showing how the ASR would be of use, via better marketing materials and a website that actually functions correctly (links to the rifle plate version are broken, and keep redirecting to the IIIA model) would go a long way towards getting a response. On the other hand, I'm seeing this being very awkward to unworkable, if used over an external carrier with items carried on the chest. Over a traditional uniform with concealed armor, and no major gear on the chest, it might be decent.

The Survivor-1 was designed as a standalone system, so deploying it over other plate carriers or chest rigs could cause problems. This product wasn't designed to be integrated with traditional armor, or even be used with uniforms as the whole point is to be discreet, which most uniforms aren't. As far as the website, we are aware of its issues and are in the process of redesign. We are a new company relatively speaking and are working on the marketing bugs that accompany a new product - thanks for your input.

I'm definitely confused now. You're saying it's not meant to be worn with uniforms or traditional armor, but then also said in your original post that you "want it to be functional and practical for...first responders as well".

Can't really have it both ways. Pretty much any first responder is going to be uniformed. Covert first responders are basically an oxymoron. So if you want to sell it exclusively for covert wear, great. But don't expect that same product to automatically be suitable for uniformed services as well.

But once again, none of that matters if it looks silly. And in the current form, it looks kinda embarrassing. A better strap system, a better backpack body design, better/more colors (No coyote/FDE/DE/sand/baby puke brown? Really?!)

Thanks for the input, for our initial production run we chose black, navy, and charcoal for the bag colors. There are colors currently in development, some that you've mentioned. This is the first product of it's kind, so as with anything like it there will be continual improvements. The bag itself is very high quality and is easily implemented in EDC use.

higher quality stitching and fasteners, and maybe more modularity in the pack itself, would all go a long way towards improving the marketability of the product.

You lost me here. Have you put your hands on one before? The construction materials, seams, zippers, and hardware are of the highest quality and it's apparent as soon as you take it out of the box. If you have more info on this area, please let us know. Thanks for the feedback - unfortunately since SHOT was cancelled we are looking at alternative ways to put the product in customer's hands and witness it's function, which is the best way to explain it. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Cheers.

I haven't handled one yet, and have no idea where I'd see one in person in my AO. The closest substitute for physically examination would be copious amounts of high-res photography, so barring either option I'm left extrapolating based on the photos online.

Perhaps it has excellent parts and workmanship, but without any way to confirm that, one has to expect it to be built to the quality of the Jansport type pack it resembles.

IMO, the pinnacle of quality would be something like a VertX pack, or Mystery Ranch. Those brands have dedicated themselves to top-quality parts and designs, and set the bar for a product like this to match.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brothers of The Shield,

I need your honest feedback/recommendation on our Survivor-1TM Body Armor System.  

Ballistipax is a new company that launched Apr 2020 so I'm not looking to spam your forum, I am truly seeking feedback on ways to improve our Body Armor System.  We not only want it to be functional and practical for civilians but for first responders as well.    

The Survivor-1TM is viewable in the below forum.  Please let me know what you think.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Survivor-1-Product-Announcement/786-297198/
View Quote

My .02 is I don't see this as a viable product for cops, even those in plain clothes/uc work.

For uniform patrol, we are already wearing soft armor and if talking about adding hard plates what would be the benefits of this system versus a traditional plate carrier? Me personally I keep my plate carrier in the passenger floor board and all I have to do is throw it over my head and connect 2 clips and it's ready to go, versus this of having to put on the back pack and then convert it which looks like it would be awkward when you start adding rifle mag pouches and med kits to the mix.

For those in plain clothes, my agency requires the wearing of soft armor when out conducting enforcement action. I can't imagine other agencies not doing the same. Most defectives have a molle soft armor carrier that they wear that has mag, admin and med kits already. Again, what would be the benefits of your system?

For those doing a "uc" assignment the last thing they want to do is carry anything that smells "cop". And the firefighters already have slick carriers that they can throw on the rig if needed.

I could see your product marketed towards a bug out bag setup, but the lack of side coverage would be a deal killer for me personally for just soft armor protection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top