Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2018 3:48:12 PM EDT
Looking to get something different from my Slash VXL.

The Spawn looks like a good deal for a crawler.  Though I will have to get an adapter to charge the LiPo with my Traxxas charger so I don't have to buy another.

For those of you who've had experience with the Wraith and TRX4 Bronco.  What's the big differences and which is better value?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Just noticed a TRX4 sport option.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Years ago had a Axial rock crawler and a HPI Rock Crawler King. Both had 540 motors, think 20 turns. Traxxas is a longer 550 21 turn with more power.

Bonus for Traxxas TRX4:

-smaller tires and lower center of gravity. Will be flipping over less in the turns.
-better motor
-2 speed tranny
-remote locking differentials
-metal gear transmission
-a frame...non axle mounted steering servo. Think some scale competitions require this.

But i have never seen one or used one. Been years since I messed with rc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Years ago had a Axial rock crawler and a HPI Rock Crawler King. Both had 540 motors, think 20 turns. Traxxas is a longer 550 21 turn with more power.

Bonus for Traxxas TRX4:

-smaller tires and lower center of gravity. Will be flipping over less in the turns.
-better motor
-2 speed tranny
-remote locking differentials
-metal gear transmission
-a frame...non axle mounted steering servo. Think some scale competitions require this.

But i have never seen one or used one. Been years since I messed with rc.
View Quote
TRX4 sport has full time locked diffs, and a 1 speed trans.

But it looks more like the one I am leaning to.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The TRX4 Bronco impressed me....

Skip the Sport and get the original..
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The TRX4 Bronco impressed me....

Skip the Sport and get the original..
View Quote
Also looking at the 1/10 rally and tec 2.0

Might get something for on road.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought an E-Revo 2.0. I've only run it on 4S 14.8V. The thing is a bull in a China shop... it's a beast. It's a lot of tuck for sure!

What have I gotten myself into?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#7]
That Sport is one good deal.

Amazing quality in the gears, bearings, and design. Best out there. Cheap brass parts on Ebay to add, to get extra weight down low for traction.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The Wraith and the TRX4 are apples to oranges IMO. The TRX is scale and the Wraith is scale-ish (2.2 tires, wide AR60 axles). Both are incredibly fun though, the scale crawlers are more challenging. It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to tool around on trails, get the Traxxas. If you want to bash it on the way to the trail, get a Wraith.

About a month ago, I was in the same predicament, so now I'm building one of each.

-not a TRX, but an SCX-10 II. Turns out, it's waaaay more expensive to build with individual parts versus a kit. I like the Traxxas, but wanted to take advantage of the huge SCX aftermarket. I was going for an all-out scale build with leafs and everything, but it turned into a full aluminum mall crawler build. I guess the next one will be a true scale Trailfinder or something...
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Wraith and the TRX4 are apples to oranges IMO. The TRX is scale and the Wraith is scale-ish (2.2 tires, wide AR60 axles). Both are incredibly fun though, the scale crawlers are more challenging. It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to tool around on trails, get the Traxxas. If you want to bash it on the way to the trail, get a Wraith.

About a month ago, I was in the same predicament, so now I'm building one of each.

-not a TRX, but an SCX-10 II. Turns out, it's waaaay more expensive to build with individual parts versus a kit. I like the Traxxas, but wanted to take advantage of the huge SCX aftermarket. I was going for an all-out scale build with leafs and everything, but it turned into a full aluminum mall crawler build. I guess the next one will be a true scale Trailfinder or something...
View Quote
Traxxas sport seems like a solid deal, I'm also looking at the rally car.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a TRX4 Bronco, and an Axial SCX10 II 2017 Jeep Wrangler.

I absolutely LOVE the Bronco. The 2 speed transmission lets it go a fair amount faster, and the unlockable diffs are nice for tighter turning on hard surfaces. The Bronco has a good sturdy body also.
I've added Gearheads beadlock aluminum wheels, the TRAXXAS headlight kit and their rock lights, spare tire kit, and an ESS One sound module.

After learning that the TRX4 Sport does not have the 2 speed trans, does not have unlockable diffs, and thus comes with a 2 channel radio instead of the 4 channel one, and that the body is androgynous and doesn't look like any particular truck ever built, I wouldn't be interested.

The SCX10 II I like alot also, more than I thought I would after having the Bronco. It is a fantastic crawler, comes with lights, and Im having fun upgrading it. Have added RC4WD Mickey Thompson alloy beadlock wheels, and an Integy front winch bumper with wireless remote. The SCX10 II comes with upgraded axles, steel suspension links and steering links, as well as metal gears.

Will try to get some pics of both.

ETA, I enjoy the crawlers as much, probably more than my Slash, in that I don't need a hundred yards to have fun with it. A small stack of firewood can provide fun climbing. Also good on trails.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a TRX4 Bronco, and an Axial SCX10 II 2017 Jeep Wrangler.

I absolutely LOVE the Bronco. The 2 speed transmission lets it go a fair amount faster, and the unlockable diffs are nice for tighter turning on hard surfaces. The Bronco has a good sturdy body also.
I've added Gearheads beadlock aluminum wheels, the TRAXXAS headlight kit and their rock lights, spare tire kit, and an ESS One sound module.

After learning that the TRX4 Sport does not have the 2 speed trans, does not have unlockable diffs, and thus comes with a 2 channel radio instead of the 4 channel one, and that the body is androgynous and doesn't look like any particular truck ever built, I wouldn't be interested.

The SCX10 II I like alot also, more than I thought I would after having the Bronco. It is a fantastic crawler, comes with lights, and Im having fun upgrading it. Have added RC4WD Mickey Thompson alloy beadlock wheels, and an Integy front winch bumper with wireless remote. The SCX10 II comes with upgraded axles, steel suspension links and steering links, as well as metal gears.

Will try to get some pics of both.

ETA, I enjoy the crawlers as much, probably more than my Slash, in that I don't need a hundred yards to have fun with it. A small stack of firewood can provide fun climbing. Also good on trails.
View Quote
Here's where I am at, my Slash is fun, but I think a Rally car for on road and some dirt would be better, the Slash is very light in the front.

a crawler I can run all over my wood piles and stuff
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife bought me a TRX-4 recently and it’s a fantastic rig. I’m very impressed with it compared to my Axail SCX10. I was never a Traxxas fan but this rig has changed my mind.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife bought me a TRX-4 recently and it's a fantastic rig. I'm very impressed with it compared to my Axail SCX10. I was never a Traxxas fan but this rig has changed my mind.
View Quote
I think I'm going to sell my Slash and get one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top