Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2020 8:30:28 PM EDT
Saw this released a few months ago and finally pulled the trigger today. It should be here on Wednesday or Thursday and I will report back.

My background has been tooling around with tiny-whoops in the house, though I have always been drawn to RC helis. However, I could never really justify it because of the cost.

Enter the OMP M2 --> This thing comes in at less than $350 RTF (shipped from Amazon), replacement blades are less than $10, and a 3S battery is $13. After seeing the REALLY GOOD reviews, I figured WTH, and placed an order.

I will report back this weekend and let you all know how things turned out.

BEST FIRST radio controlled (RC) HELICOPTER for BEGINNERS ! OMPHOBBY M2 Flybarless RC Helicopter

OMPHobby M2 Helicopter Review & Flight

Link to support that Bezos guy...

Or buy directly from the warehouse in Columbus, OH...
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
In my somewhat limited experience, some R/C clubs will treat you as if you have dog shit on your shoe when they find out you like helicopters.

Sort of like Fudds don't like AR folks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Prayers sent..... Thinking this won't go as planned.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my somewhat limited experience, some R/C clubs will treat you as if you have dog shit on your shoe when they find out you like helicopters.

View Quote
Which is why I am glad my employer has a 20 acre field I have permission to use
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Prayers sent..... Thinking this won't go as planned.
View Quote
Hey, I did say parts were "relatively" cheap...
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
No nitro, no care. Batteries are the debil.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Expensive little bugger, but cute.

Been trying to talk myself out of getting back into helis, it is worse than drugs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:54:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even worse if you are an FPV drone guy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate the OP: Read the thread, started googling RC helicopters.

I'll have one sooner or later.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Huh.  Well, the learning curve will be steep.  I'm glad replacement parts are cheap.

I've owned and own 100 series to 700 class helis.  No matter the flybarless controller or the set up, the learning curve is steep.

If you like a challenge, you'll love CP helis.  If you want to putt around the yard, get a quad.

If you like to build and tweek, get a CP heli.  If you'd rather fly, get a quad.

I loved my helis.  They are a challenge in almost every aspect.  In the end, I outlasted my friends and flying alone sucks.

Best of luck.  If you heed the above, you'll love it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
very cool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Did'ja crash it yet, OP?

What transmitter are you using?

Been googling, reading, and searching CL and FB marketplace for a transmitter.  I think I'll get a transmitter, Realflight 9, and hook it up to the Oculus Rift.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
@yavorssj

Any updates?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for the delay in responding.

Well, I crashed it. The good thing is that it took about 12 packs

This thing flies AWESOME!!! I was initially running a lower head speed, but found it made holding altitude "unpredictable." Once I bumped up the head speed, I felt the little bird was doing what I was telling it to do, rather than me reacting to "random happenings."

The auto level works great. I think I am about ready to ween myself off it and move beyond basic circuits. Hence the crash... The good thing is that all I damaged was the main shaft, main rotors, and tail rotors. Less than $18 worth of damage.

This is no toy/trainer heli. It is the real deal that can be used to train, if that makes sense. When I tried to move up to a collective pitch heli a few years ago, I was always frustrated with the smaller helis that were in my price range (MCPx, TREX 450, etc...). They either did not perform, or cost about $50 per flight due to lessons learned. I do not have to worry about either issue with this little thing.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

@Mugzilla
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top