Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2021 6:20:00 PM EDT
Abbott said the State was taking over yesterday.

Adler caved today, as the evidence is overwhelming.

Facing the possibility Austin voters could reinstate the city's homeless camping ban in May, Mayor Steve Adler said the city's existing plan of action has failed.

In a conversation with the American-Statesman, Adler acknowledged that the 2019 repeal of the city's camping ban "is not working." He suggested Austin City Council members should get together with Austin residents to propose alternative solutions for addressing the city's growing homelessness crisis.

"Going back to where we were we know doesn't work – and what we're doing now we also know doesn't work," Adler told the Statesman.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/01/21/homelessness-austin-repeal-camping-ban-not-working-adler-says/4243652001/
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No shit?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Welp, better eminent domain some hotels or apartments to shove them into
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
now....clean them streets up, dps

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
now....clean them streets up, dps

https://media0.giphy.com/media/GjTE7KjST1Ube/giphy.gif
View Quote

Saved.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, hell has frozen over in Austin. It only took them 600 million over 4 years to figure it out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
No shit Sherlock. Lord the idiots who run Austin are fucking stupid.

I went into town on Saturday to see my family and it's just depressing. Homeless camps EVERYWHERE!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL, someone took a dump on his lawn, I bet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welp, better eminent domain some hotels or apartments to shove them into
View Quote

Rename The Domain, Hoboton...and advertise free hotdogs.

(Very obscure reference)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

He lives in the W hotel downtown so no lawn.

Funny thing is the city is buying up hotels to house the homeless but for some reason the W is never mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Funny thing is the city is buying up hotels to house the homeless but for some reason the W is never mentioned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm surprised they haven't bought him a multimillion dollar condo in the Austonian.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no "fix" to the homeless crisis - at least not  in the way they think. The homeless crisis isn't a failure in itself - it is a symptom resulting from  numerous other failures.

Substance abuse is condoned and even celebrated.
Mental illness is normalized and forced treatment is considered taboo.
The welfare saftey net encourages and enables being unproductive.
There is no longer a stigma associated with not working hard and supporting your family.
Sexual deviance is normalized and celebrated.

A mass increase in homelessness and degeneracy is the predictable result of these conditions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#12]
We're going to see the Law of Unintended Consequences kick in BIGTIME in the next few years.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#13]
It appears Helpy Helperton woke up finally. I'm tired of seeing all of the camping and panhandling at every damn street corner and under pass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It appears Helpy Helperton woke up finally. I'm tired of seeing all of the camping and panhandling at every damn street corner and under pass.
View Quote

No, he really didn't. HE still does not want the camping ban and now that the end is near for the nonprofit gravy train he's still trying to come up with another scam.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#15]
But he says the old way won’t work either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe now that mean orangie is gone, the libs will finally have to deal with the piles of shit they ushered in.  

Or they'll somehow blame us.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Next on the list; $$$$$ for free public housing, to be utterly destroyed after five years
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#18]
You mean he admits this after the second petition drive to restore the ban on public camping? You mean after the city pulled a fast one and declared the first petition drive null and void?

Did he make this pronouncement from Cabo like he did when he told the rest of us to stay in our homes because of Covid?

He's a f**king left wing weasel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in Texas and won't go to that shithole. I'll sleep on the beach before I'll sleep in a hotel in Austin.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Fly them to San Francisco.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Just leased another homeless hotel today for nearly $30 grand a day.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Send them all to California.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I went into town on Saturday to see my family and it's just depressing. Homeless camps EVERYWHERE!
View Quote

I lay on the horn when I happen to roll through.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Was there last week and they had entire villages set up at underpasses, with trash everywhere.

Some had port-o-cans that they had dragged over, and one even had a bookshelf with books, and a wood dining table with chairs !
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#25]
And yet, they ( tech firms ) keep coming.

Digital Realty, reported ZDNet and CultureMap Austin, is the latest tech firm to announce its headquarters' relocation to the tech capital of Texas. The company, which markets itself as a company that supports businesses with "data center, colocation and interconnection strategies," employs around 1,500 people worldwide.

The company's CEO, William Stein, singled out the city's "central location, affordable cost of living, highly educated workforce and supportive business climate" as key reasons for the big move. It also boasted 20 percent of its workforce already residing in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Good times > weak men > hard times.

The solution is obvious, harden the fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#28]
He's not half bad at manipulation. Abbott gets to be the bad guy. He and the council are blameless. Bad Abbott.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yup, hell has frozen over in Austin. It only took them 600 million over 4 years to figure it out.
View Quote

They’ll dump more money into their slush fund for illegals next...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Was there last week and they had entire villages set up at underpasses, with trash everywhere.

Some had port-o-cans that they had dragged over, and one even had a bookshelf with books, and a wood dining table with chairs !
View Quote

Those port-a-cans and handwashing stations are supplied thru a city grant to a non-profit
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
He's not half bad at manipulation. Abbott gets to be the bad guy. He and the council are blameless. Bad Abbott.
View Quote

There’s still a possible recall of the turd.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]

You mean copying the policies of the places with the most homelessness doesn't work?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There is no "fix" to the homeless crisis - at least not  in the way they think. The homeless crisis isn't a failure in itself - it is a symptom resulting from  numerous other failures.

Substance abuse is condoned and even celebrated.
Mental illness is normalized and forced treatment is considered taboo.
The welfare saftey net encourages and enables being unproductive.
There is no longer a stigma associated with not working hard and supporting your family.
Sexual deviance is normalized and celebrated.

A mass increase in homelessness and degeneracy is the predictable result of these conditions.
View Quote

99% of the problematic homeless are in the first two categories. Most of those are an and/or.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#34]
City Council wants to spread the misery around town even more.  We have plenty of overpasses occupied in District 6, but now they want to purchase the newer hotel next to Frida's Seafood Grill to house the homeless.  I think friends of departing Jimmy "rump rider" Flannigan are paying us back for the election.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Just bus them to California, haha
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
City Council wants to spread the misery around town even more.  We have plenty of overpasses occupied in District 6, but now they want to purchase the newer hotel next to Frida's Seafood Grill to house the homeless.  I think friends of departing Jimmy "rump rider" Flannigan are paying us back for the election.
View Quote

Dammit, there goes one of my favorite places.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

I use to love going to ATX, now I avoid it at all costs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Bus them to the New Mexico border.

There.  No more homeless in your city.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@Swingset

Always value your opinion
View Quote

It's pretty crazy living here. Subnet visited last week and got an eye-full of the Austin homeless scourge. We talked a lot about it, and I think we both came away saying that the left is insanely cruel in their treatment of the homeless...they're so afraid of tough love, real measures, addressing this where it actually starts that they pretend coddling and enabling is the same as caring. But, you watch mental people literally living their personal hells on the streets, or opportunists begging at literally every corner, and tent cities of addicts and people living like feral animals, and it's pretty clear that the Dems just see these people as political creatures that they can use for sympathy and programs, with zero interest in ever really addressing.

This story is a great example. This motherfucker put in place all the policies that are making the problem worse, but his answer is more tail chasing, programs, and taxpayer sink holes. He can't avoid that the problem is out of control, but his answer is to double down on what made it. And, his voters are too stupid and thoughtless to remove him for creating and worsening the issue.

It's hard to live here and look at it, very hard. I'm becoming numb to it, and that's awful. People should never be numb to seeing this shit. It's infuriating and heartbreaking, 99% of these people should be in a home somewhere being treated for what's happened to them, but they've become an infestation of sub-humans that the left cheers on and builds wash stations and waste receptacles for, or travel programs to push them around from city to city.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Abbott? I’m good with that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

New York or California (or maybe both, can't recall) already do this. When I was working in OKC a few years ago The Daily Oklahoman had a big story I read about the influx of homeless in the area. They interviewed several, they were given a few hundred bucks and a greyhound to gtfo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#42]
They ( Mayor and City Council ) played the Governor like a fiddle. Now everyone else but Austin pick sup the tab. Exactly what they wanted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I would use C130's or C-17's to drop homeless off in Puerto Rico or Guam.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Been here almost 30 years.  Loved Austin until about 10 years ago.  The homeless has greatly accelerated in the past 3 years and has reached epidemic levels.  Swingset summed it up pretty well.  The left really is cruel to encourage this level of human destruction.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Should be a priority of every texan to buy a homeless counterpart a oneway bus ticket to LA

Would be cheaper in the long run....you could ship all of them out for less than a million...boom budget surplus all the sudden and no poo in the streets
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#46]
The homeless have a bunch of political power. Not the homeless themselves, but the wealthy liberals who support them. Public works, cops and clean up crews are often stopped in their tracks by social justice warriors.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Should be a priority of every texan to buy a homeless counterpart a oneway bus ticket to LA

Would be cheaper in the long run....you could ship all of them out for less than a million...boom budget surplus all the sudden and no poo in the streets
View Quote

Right!

Most of these large encampments have a hierarchy that grants permission to new homeless wanting to move in. Lol

The encampments have enforcers, treasurers, and cooks. The whole shebang, man!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Adler is now saying Abbott is reversing a mandate from the Austin voters, and the Mayor and city council.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know how they get to Austin? A lot of times it's by bus from Denver, San Diego, etc.

My GF is a nurse and has spoken with a lot of homeless, and they tell her how they get from city to city. Someone in San Diego asks them where they want to go, and will even suggest "homeless friendly" destinations. It's a fucking merry-go-round.

Until you make Austin a no-go zone, with zero-tolerance vagrancy and few accommodations for the homeless, they're here to stay and other cities will make sure of it. Now, it's not just "hard" homeless (like mentally ill people), it's vagrants, travelers, nomads....young people and such. Look under Ben White near Montopolis. They have cars, trucks, trailers, with decent gear. One dude has a solar setup, out there charging his gear every day when I drive by. They come here and stay for a while, move on. Not really tragic homeless in all spots, some of them are just making use of free lodging, port-o-johns and close proximity to stores/food.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You know how they get to Austin? A lot of times it's by bus from Denver, San Diego, etc.

My GF is a nurse and has spoken with a lot of homeless, and they tell her how they get from city to city. Someone in San Diego asks them where they want to go, and will even suggest "homeless friendly" destinations. It's a fucking merry-go-round.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you fly them to Hawaii or Puerto Rico.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top