Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2021 5:28:38 PM EDT
Not sure this is the correct forum for this
I have a GoPro and a youtube channel.
I am interested in making a channel about hiking / backpacking.

So far, I have just been playing around with the idea.
Obviously, I need some software to edit my videos.  At the very least to make one video instead of 10 or 12 snippets.  That will probably happen after Christmas..

Any other advice?  Other than severe need of editing
Could a backpacking trip report with monologue / narration even be interesting?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIZF34T5N_P21Jt8eOKd7TQ/playlists
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Rainy Day Lake Hike

Road to Nowhere

Tour of Three Fingers Road
Tour of 3 Fingers Road part 1
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m on the other end of the spectrum from the poster above me.

Keep recording and uploading videos. In my opinion the feedback you get from actual comments and viewers is your best guide as to what you can do to improve. There will always be negative comments but there will also be positive comments.

I don’t spend a ton of time on editing my videos, but definitely more time than I’d like to. The content is fun for me but the idea of having to edit the footage into something coherent is somewhat daunting. It’s worth it though.

My audio on my videos is pretty terrible so no comments there

I’m slowly trying different things and techniques for video production, learning as we go.

Good luck!

ETA: what’s your intent? Is it to simply provide a record of your adventures? Are you looking to monetize? Ie understanding your purpose might provide some insight for feedback.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a Mac? You could start out with iMovie.

If not, give DaVinci Resolve a shot for video editing. It's free and very powerful. May be a bit overwhelming initially. YouTube some tutorials.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate intros. If you're cooking up a montage of cool pics, title screens, and personalized music, I'm out. Time is valuable and I'm interested in content.  If I can't hear or the audio gives me a headache, I'm out.  If you only do wide angle shots of the gear and I can't really get a look or understanding, I'm out.

The videos I follow do a great job of getting to the point and giving me understanding.  I am interested in seeing side-by-side comparisons of essential backpacking gear loaded and used in different packs.  I am interested in pros and cons of different gear.  

Even more important is a woman's opinion. I wanted a gun for my wife. I watched a bunch of videos of guys explaining which gun is best for women, rented them to see for myself, and took her to a gun show to handle a ton of options. We were all wrong. She wanted the full size for feel, not the compact.  Now I look for reviews that have both perspectives to help guide my decisions.

ETA: I'm starting to leave youtube due to censoring. Look into Odysee. You can produce on youtube, and upload into Odysee. Add all the censored content there.

Looking at your videos, I would suggest framing your shots with the rule of thirds when possible.  A lot of the video is just the trail with no sky or scenery.  I would like to know about the trails. How to get to them, things to see, a heads up on problems and how to avoid them, etc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a good channel for YouTube information. He covers lighting, audio, editing, algorithm optimization, etc.

How To Create A YouTube Channel! (2021 UPDATED Beginner’s Guide)

Link Posted: 12/27/2021 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The first things you need, IMHO are

BE someone interesting
DO something interesting

One or the other. Better if you fit both of those. No one wants to watch a boring person's videos of boring stuff.

As posters above have mentioned, SHIT AUDIO will get people to click away. That's not just the quality of your audio. It's the quality of your narration or speech. DO NOT vocal fry. DO NOT uptalk constantly. DO NOT sound like you're reading from a list and you're really bored with doing it. It's best when the narrator or subject is speaking like they're talking to a friend. KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. If you fuck up, just say it again and edit it later. You can edit anything out. Do it repeatedly if you have to.

LEARN YOUR CAMERA. Learn how it works. Be familiar with it, make notes and improve. (for instance, I got a new "pocket" camera to try to downsize a bit. I took it to Christmas with the family and shot some pictures. I made the mistake of limiting the ISO too much so shutter speeds were too slow at times, causing blur. Given I was just snapping things for family, higher ISO and noise wouldn't have been an issue)

LEARN YOUR EDITING SOFTWARE. I use DaVinci Resolve, and it is STUPID powerful. There are all kinds of neat things you can do with it. The simple built-in transitions of most basic video editors get boring and make your vids look like an old man fumbling his way through editing things.

Hiking would be a great subject, though I'm not personally familiar with how much related content is on YouTube. You'll have opportunities to show interesting things, from gear you use to places you go. One thing I'd say to you, and anyone doing travel-related things: SHOW WHAT YOU'RE SEEING MORE THAN POINTING THE CAMERA AT YOURSELF. I caught some videos by a guy from New Zealand that got to travel in Iran a couple years ago. Phenomenal videos overall, amazing quality and editing skills, but he had a tendency to point the camera at himself and talk about what he was seeing instead of showing what he was seeing.

ALSO: If you want to show what you're seeing... SLOW DOWN!!!  Don't move the camera around fast. Pan very slowly. Some cameras can 'smear' badly when you pan too fast, and it's also harder for the viewer to follow. If you want to show a scene, show it for at LEAST 5 seconds, if not longer, to let the viewers soak it in.  

PLAN what you're going to do and what you want to get shots of. I didn't do that on a recent trip I took, and I can't really make a good video out of it now. I didn't get clips of things I should have to make a story out of it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#9]
We use Filmora for video editing.
A decent lav mic goes a long way.
And, of course, content.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
16 mile snow shoe hike  :-)

16 mile round trip snow show hike to Frozen Lake
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top