Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2019 6:57:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for you! Bass is a fun instrument. Five lessons should be about all you need, it's a pretty simple instrument once you know the basic principles. Best of luck, sir!

ETA-what kind of setup are you running?
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good for you! Bass is a fun instrument. Five lessons should be about all you need, it's a pretty simple instrument once you know the basic principles. Best of luck, sir!

View Quote
Seriously?  Lmao.....  you surely don't understand the instrument.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To play bass is easy. To play it well is more challenging.

I have a Cort Artisan B4 (I love this slim neck). It has active Bartolinis and I strung it with D'Addario Half Rounds. It feels good.
View Quote
That sounds like a pretty good set up. I had a little harder time with the slim necked ones cause my hands are so big, but it made a huge difference to some that I knew.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 12:56:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Seriously?  Lmao.....  you surely don't understand the instrument.
View Quote
Haha, yes I was being a bit sarcastic. I was trying to be encouraging to the OP. It was a second or third instrument to me but came pretty quick because I'd had string experience and a solid music theory background. I taught bass for a few years and was a part-time bass player for another few.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Good on ya. I need to knock the dust off my basses. I've been playing the Strats too much lately.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Haha, yes I was being a bit sarcastic. I was trying to be encouraging to the OP. It was a second or third instrument to me but came pretty quick because I'd had string experience and a solid music theory background. I taught bass for a few years and was a part-time bass player for another few.
View Quote
I got the sarcasm... I played bass for a few years as a guitar player picking it up.  Watching my son play bass I realize the difference between playing bass and playing it well.  Compared to him I was phoning it in lol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im 52..been playing longer than I care to mention, and have played some pretty cool gigs.  I just started taking lessons again this past summer on electric so I could learn to solo better.  The guy convinced me to pick up double bass.

For awhile this guy was teaching the Saturday Night Live bassist Paul Ossola while he was on SNL, because he wanted to become better also.

To play bass like a BASS PLAYER requires a fair amount of work and study.

Good on you O.P.  what kind of stuff does your teacher have you working on>?
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#10]
The bass is a fine choice and has been called the mortar, that holds the other instruments in place.  And the blues, is what most forms of popular, non-classical music is based upon. You have chosen to act as the foundation and as such it's up to you to learn your instruments rudiments... and above all, practice those rudiments.

When practicing, always remember that, "slow is fast".  The blues isn't known for it's speed, but the rule still applies.  I'm not sure if the current technology is a help or hindrance... although, I'm sure it would have helped me to understand - where to put my fingers.  Don't be afraid to use "bass tabs" and the UTube vids to get going.  I've found much good stuff, and that not all that info was penned by fifteen year olds who've been playing for two weeks.  Have fun
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top