Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2020 1:08:03 PM EDT
Has anyone assembled a watch from sourced parts?

I was browsing Crystal Times and they have parts to put a Seiko SKX togethers, and it seems doable.  Of course, it's always harder than YouTube videos would have you believe, but it looks like fun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Have not, although I have been considering it.

Long Island Watch sells their own "Islander" series of builds that will be about as cheap as you can buy the parts, then you'll need a press and some small tools.

There are a couple/several guys on YouTube that will build you what you want LivWatch, Namokimods, LumeShot.

I bought a press to replace a crystal in a watch and it got me interested, attention to detail is a must
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course assembling a watch from parts requires actual watchmaker skills and the tooling if you're talking about assembling a movement.

Where the skills requirement comes in is fitting and adjusting the parts once you have them together.
I don't know of any mechanical watch that can simply be assembled from loose parts and expect it to even run without some serious work.

As a hobby it would be a fun one, but if you just want a watch it would cost far more in tools then it could possibly be worth.
If it's going to be a straight up hobby that's a different proposition.

Assembling a working watch from a finished movement would be much easier, but again, you'd need the specialized tools to do it.
Watchmaking tools are NOT cheap.
Where these skills and tools show up is in installing hands and crystals without scarring or botching the job, and properly fitting a stem and crown.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Seiko Mod - Bloodmoon SKX Samurai Conversion Mod

Super nice build and finished product
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a new SKX007 and disassembled it and modded it into an SKXA35.  I had to pop out the crystal to install the yellow index ring and pull the hands to change the face.  While I was at it, I changed out the hands as well.  
Tough test thing to remember is when you put the hands back on is to make sure you have the small hand directly at the 12 and the minute hand directly on an hour.  I use the 1 marker.  Of course this is after you roll through the day/date to get it at the right point.  
I think the cheap eBay tools set me back about $40.  But it got the job done.
The 007 hands were chrome.  Hard to see against the yellow in bright sunlight.  I bought these black hands with a touch of red.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UEjFZutgU8

View Quote

This video got me interested, but he's probably got a $1k worth of tools.

Not big on his K-Pop hair, though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah he has some nice equipment, and is probably sponsored.

You can get a perfectly serviceable press for well under $100. If you are just assembling a watch from complete components, that is the only significant tool you'll need. The only thing you're going to fit is the crown, the rest just drops together. If you want to change hands a hand puller and setter. You can get all of that under $50, and all of my estimates are on the high end.

Young Asian with young Asian hair, meh its not a dating site.

Probably the best assembly videos on YouTube are by LivWatch
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought a new SKX007 and disassembled it and modded it into an SKXA35.  I had to pop out the crystal to install the yellow index ring and pull the hands to change the face.  While I was at it, I changed out the hands as well.  
Tough test thing to remember is when you put the hands back on is to make sure you have the small hand directly at the 12 and the minute hand directly on an hour.  I use the 1 marker.  Of course this is after you roll through the day/date to get it at the right point.  
I think the cheap eBay tools set me back about $40.  But it got the job done.
The 007 hands were chrome.  Hard to see against the yellow in bright sunlight.  I bought these black hands with a touch of red.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/82204D3B-A9F8-4012-97E4-3F9692F1626E_jpe-1380462.JPG
View Quote

Looks great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Wife and kids bought that for me, about the second time I wore it I swatted a mosquito on my arm and popped the crystal with a tungsten carbide ring. Factory service was $135 for a crystal and shipping and a battery.

Crystal was $20, the press was $65ish, took maybe 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't built one from scratch, but I've done just about everything that would be required to do so. Replaced crystals, dials, hands, crown/stem, etc. I probably have $50 into my cheap tools and they work fine. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. Start out playing with a cheap watch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]

I put that together from parts.  Didn't build the movement or press the crystal, but I swapped hands, dial, case, caseback, etc.  Needed a hand puller.  Also got a hand setter and some dial protectors but could've done without them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

came here to post this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Seiko Mods - Namoki DiveMaster Stealth

LivWatch build using Namokimods parts
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I priced out my build (all black, Flieger dial, silver house/minute and red second hands) to about $400 plus tools.

It's much higher than off the shelf SKX007, but it would be one of a kind, and fun.  If I ever get to it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]
One of the reasons I like the Vostoks for this kind of fuckery over a Seiko is that you can pop the back whenever you think it needs it and it aint no thang for keeping things dry inside.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top