Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A 6.7 Cummins would do. But it’s a moot point now, I have this truck.
View Quote
What kind of truck do you have now?  (Sorry for all the questions, I find this interesting)...

I saw where you're pulling a 115 gal fuel tank in the back, what's that for?  I'm assuming it's just auxiliary fuel.  I'd rather stop for fuel more often, get a camper and toss a mattress and pillow back there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Your employer doesn't pay for a hotel?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What kind of truck do you have now?  (Sorry for all the questions, I find this interesting)...

I saw where you're pulling a 115 gal fuel tank in the back, what's that for?  I'm assuming it's just auxiliary fuel.  I'd rather stop for fuel more often, get a camper and toss a mattress and pillow back there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 6.7 Cummins would do. But it’s a moot point now, I have this truck.

With the 115gal tank I can top off on fuel when I find it cheap and stack it deep. Sometimes you end up in a spot where local fuel costs are $3 and up and it’s not worth it to stop.

Quoted:
Your employer doesn't pay for a hotel?
Nope, they pay permits, tolls and miles. I pay for everything else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you ride one of the scooters in the store while sporting a summer dress?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Brother!
When you rolling back through Texas?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Every. Damned. Time.

Quoted:
Hey Brother!
When you rolling back through Texas?
I’m not 100% but I’m hoping Thursday.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

With the 115gal tank I can top off on fuel when I find it cheap and stack it deep. Sometimes you end up in a spot where local fuel costs are $3 and up and it’s not worth it to stop.

View Quote
Wow. What's your yearly pay?

I still don't get why you get stuck waiting though. Do you pick up trailers from the same location every time and deliver them or do you pick up at different locations every time?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Something I never thought about: how do they get Class A and big fifth wheels from the factory to the dealer?

Guys like you or do they put them on freight trains?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I still don't get why you get stuck waiting though. Do you pick up trailers from the same location every time and deliver them or do you pick up at different locations every time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$65k last year. We have 6 drop lots we pick trailers up from within about 30 miles from each other. From there we take them to wherever they go. This vendor stops taking deliveries at 3pm and there’s not enough time to get dispatched and drive to the vendor before they close. I could have sat around and done nothing today, but instead I hooked up and ended up 20 miles from the vendor. I’ll deliver at 7:30am tomorrow and drive back with enough time to hook up to my next load.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Something I never thought about: how do they get Class A and big fifth wheels from the factory to the dealer?

Guys like you or do they put them on freight trains?
View Quote
As far as I know they are all driven or hauled out from drop yards near the manufacturer to the dealership.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
can you afford a fishing pole ?

it's not really important to catch anything

world would be better if more people fished
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#12]
How many miles a year do you drive?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't we just do this last week?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, I can. It’s hard for me to get across to people, even the girls in the office who hand out paperwork, what this job is. I’m hauling a $25k-$40k trailer that I am 100% responsible for. I can’t go to a museum, or movie, or fishing, or anything other than getting food and fuel. I am land locked for the entire time I am hooked to a trailer. If the trailer is damaged while I’m out fucking off I get fired. I get fired I’m homeless and two other people who depend on me are homeless. I am one major break down from being homeless. I roll my ankle, I’m homeless.

There is no back up plan. There is no fun. There is only work and sleep.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
About 100k.

Quoted:
Didn't we just do this last week?
We did.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

$65k last year. We have 6 drop lots we pick trailers up from within about 30 miles from each other. From there we take them to wherever they go. This vendor stops taking deliveries at 3pm and there’s not enough time to get dispatched and drive to the vendor before they close. I could have sat around and done nothing today, but instead I hooked up and ended up 20 miles from the vendor. I’ll deliver at 7:30am tomorrow and drive back with enough time to hook up to my next load.
View Quote
How far away are you now from your lots?

Why don't you just do whatever during the day then hook up in the evening and drive through the night rather than waste all the time you do sitting at wal Marts
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why don't you just do whatever during the day then hook up in the evening and drive through the night rather than waste all the time you do sitting at wal Marts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m 2000 miles from home in a city and state where I don’t know anyone and it’s winter. Not much to do other than work.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you ever thrown a "piss bomb" out the window of your truck on the freeway at 70 MPH, and hit a Toyota Prius?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have you ever thrown a "piss bomb" out the window of your truck on the freeway at 70 MPH, and hit a Toyota Prius?
View Quote
No. Give a hoot, don’t pollute.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah, I can. It’s hard for me to get across to people, even the girls in the office who hand out paperwork, what this job is. I’m hauling a $25k-$40k trailer that I am 100% responsible for. I can’t go to a museum, or movie, or fishing, or anything other than getting food and fuel. I am land locked for the entire time I am hooked to a trailer. If the trailer is damaged while I’m out fucking off I get fired. I get fired I’m homeless and two other people who depend on me are homeless. I am one major break down from being homeless. I roll my ankle, I’m homeless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

B.S. on no time to fish ... here in Fl  you can't swing a dead mullet without seeing salt water.

Pull over like you're taking a piss at the bridge and whip out your pocket fisherman rig and kill some time.

Those hours in the parking lots are rookie numbers ... spend those hours under a bridge with new friends
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you ever had a female motorist pull up alongside your truck whilst on the highway, and "flash gash" at you?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Rough one man.   But glad you're doing it.   Helluva lot better work ethic than others I know n

Good luck OP and rest up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
B.S. on no time to fish ... here in Fl  you can't swing a dead mullet without seeing salt water.

Pull over like you're taking a piss at the bridge and whip out your pocket fisherman rig and kill some time.

Those hours in the parking lots are rookie numbers ... spend those hours under a bridge with new friends
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t understand how a commercial vehicle works. We can’t just pull over. We pull over and we get hit it’s our fault. No matter what, every time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you ever had a female motorist pull up alongside your truck whilst on the highway, and "flash gash" at you?
View Quote
Nope. My brother told me a fat chick flashed him once.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you considered going to CDL school?  I would think you could make that as a truck driver, w/o the liability (assuming you're a company driver)... and you'd at least have a bed to sleep in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Have you considered going to CDL school?  I would think you could make that as a truck driver, w/o the liability (assuming you're a company driver)... and you'd at least have a bed to sleep in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve had a CDL for 20 years. This job is far better than driving a big truck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay that's all I got, brother.

Enjoy Dayton.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]
... it appears that your navigational timing is regularly fucked up.

Do you ever get out of your truck in these parking lot, and just walk around?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Do you get paid by the mile or trip?
Do you stop at scales?
CDL?
How is whatever you're towing insured?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You don’t understand how a commercial vehicle works. We can’t just pull over. We pull over and we get hit it’s our fault. No matter what, every time.
View Quote
Lol. There's places all over where you can pull in and fish from the banks and still see your rig in the parking lot.

Are you the only employee who does this? Does the employer just always expect you to sleep in the cab of the truck?

This thread just screams "look at me I'm married to my work"
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not usually.

Quoted:
Do you get paid by the mile or trip? Do you stop at scales? CDL? How is whatever you're towing insured?
I get paid mileage. I have a CDL but you only need one for a trailer 16k lbs or more and I have to run log books and stop at scales. Trailers are insured through the company with a $2k bond in escrow paid by me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Average MPG towing and non-towing?

Satellite radio?

Do you have a bedliner?

What tires do you have?

Do you change your own oil or pay someone to do it?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How often do you eat gas station pizza?
View Quote
Spoiler: Speedway pizza is Jacks frozen pizzas
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lol. There's places all over where you can pull in and fish from the banks and still see your rig in the parking lot.

Are you the only employee who does this? Does the employer just always expect you to sleep in the cab of the truck?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And again, you don’t understand how commercial vehicles work. We get hit in a parking lot, any parking lot other than a federally defined safe haven it’s our fault.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Average MPG towing and non-towing?

Satellite radio?

Do you have a bedliner?

What tires do you have?

Do you change your own oil or pay someone to do it?
View Quote
20-24mpg empty 8-13mpg with a trailer depending on wind and weight. Listening to Sirius right now. No bed liner. Got 69k miles on the Firestone’s that came with the truck. I do 99% of all maintenance on my truck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#36]
How many OD's have you seen in these parking lots here in the great Dayton OH?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And again, you don’t understand how commercial vehicles work. We get hit in a parking lot, any parking lot other than a federally defined safe haven it’s our fault.
View Quote
What's a federally defined safe haven?

You're telling me you could be sitting dead stopped, parked.. and if some moron hits you, it's your fault?  That doesn't make sense on any level.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
What phone do you have? Company or personal?

Good medical benefits? Dental? Optical?

Do you have prescription sunglasses?

Favorite pizza toppings?

Brisket or ribs?

Do you brush your teeth before or after you shower?

How often do you pass semis going 1mph faster than them?

Hardwood or tile for kitchen flooring?

Beagle or jack russel terrior for a low key apartment dog?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#39]
How do I get into your job?

Done the whole truck driving thing and don't want to go back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Are you a subcontractor?
If so why not work directly for the manufacturers?
It seems like a pretty cut and dry job that somebody is making money off of you for shuffling some paperwork if you are a sub.
If you are a sub do you know what they charge per mile vs what they pay you?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
What is a federally defined safe haven?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
None so far.

Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a federally defined safe haven?

You're telling me you could be sitting dead stopped, parked.. and if some moron hits you, it's your fault?  That doesn't make sense on any level.
No it doesn’t make sense. But it’s that law. All in here:
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

None so far.

http://www.driverlogbooks.com/images/training/federal-motor-carrier-safety-regulations-pocketbook-5-x-6-7-ors-a-500.jpg
View Quote
So give an example of a Federal Safe Haven... I've never heard of this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Favorite pizza toppings?

Brisket or ribs?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Favorite pizza toppings?

Brisket or ribs?

Personal.
None.
Yes.
Olives and artichoke.
Brisket.
During.
Never.
Tile.

Quoted:
How do I get into your job?

Done the whole truck driving thing and don't want to go back.
Google transporters in Elkhart Indiana.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

None so far.

http://www.driverlogbooks.com/images/training/federal-motor-carrier-safety-regulations-pocketbook-5-x-6-7-ors-a-500.jpg
View Quote
https://cdllife.com/2014/safe-haven-rule-explained/

According to that, this really only applies to Hazmat.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#46]
So wal mart parking lots are federally safe havens?
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are you a subcontractor?
It seems like a pretty cut and dry job that somebody is making money off of you for shuffling some paperwork if you are a sub.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Are you a subcontractor?
I work for a company that has the contract to haul for specific manufacturers. There’s no way to cut in as an independent with the contract process.

Quoted:
Quoted:

What is a federally defined safe haven?
See above for the big green book of rules.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
 pull over at a boat ramp ...local cops will understand
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Truck stop. Weight station with approval. Or any place a state trooper tells you.

Quoted:
Quoted:

None so far.

https://cdllife.com/2014/safe-haven-rule-explained/

According to that, this really only applies to Hazmat.
A safe haven other than a truck stop or weight station is where the highway patrol says.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So wal mart parking lots are federally safe havens?
View Quote
Nope. It’s just one of the safer places to stop.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top