Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/2/2023 10:34:05 AM EDT
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
View Quote

-Thomas Jefferson

Being an Armed Citizen is not only our right, but is also a responsibility.  It's widely recognized that knowing gun safety and marksmanship are part of that responsibility.  

Karl Rehn of KR Training studied this and his research suggests that only 1% of armed citizens take training beyond the state minimum.

Is the state minimum adequate?  Well here in Texas, to get a license to carry a pistol they don't even teach you to use a holster (which is a major source of pistol accidents).  Truly, the state minimum bar is really low.  Knowing how to safely use a holster/concealment is essential to carrying a pistol.  So what else do you need to know?

There are a lot of opinions about what skills you should know, and in what order.  

John Murphy of FPF Training recently gave this interview with his take on the Skill Acquisition Paradigm:

John Murphy and The Skill Acquisition Paradigm

Agree? Disagree?  What is your Skill Acquisition Paradigm?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I need to take a Richard Driver class.. That said I am old and crusty.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#2]
with a pistol, unless your muscle memory is so good you don't have to use the sights, you need to train more.

That's why pops started me out with a 410 shotgun without a front sight dot.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Idk wtf OP is going on about. I need more coffee.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Although 2A is a right - one has a personal responsibility to exercise that right properly.

Know the laws relating to your firearm and its use.

Have a working knowledge of ballistics - backstop, what will contain the proectile, what will not.

Rules of engagement - knowing when it is appropriate to use it. And when it is not.

Be able to hit what you aim at.

I regularly meet gun owners ( and CCW carriers ) who fail on at least one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Lol at out of date MBA buzzwords.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Never stop learning and never stop being teachable.

There is ALWAYS someone who knows more than you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Mean Girls - Stop Trying to Make Fetch Happen
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#8]
encouraging people to train is great

just be mindful that Defensive Gun Use statistics show vast majority of incidents ended with brandishing.  i.e. no shots fired.   and how much training did Kyle have?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm already somewhere between Chris Shiherlis and Mike McManus on the skillset level

Oswald was a fag,
I should be teaching the classes
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been shooting since I could barley hold up a .22 rifle.  My father and uncles taught me Firearms Safety, common sense and Marksmanship. I've been hunting, target shooting, competing and training for decades.  

I feel pretty confident in my skills, however, I think the skills are very perishable and need to be exercised and kept up.  I also think there is always something to learn and do better, at if the ego will let you.

It may be cliche, but on many things I have found, (Guns in general, shooting, Ham radio, networking, cars, etc.. etc..) the more you learn, the more you learn there is too learn.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I don't know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#12]
If you do not train, purposefully, you will never develop skill.
If you do not study and rehearse you will never be capable of proper decision-making under pressure thus making those skills worthless.
ALL SKILLS ARE PERISHABLE. If you stop doing the things that elevated your abilities you lose those abilities.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Fitness and BJJ is what I’m focusing on now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Mines buzzword bingo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#15]
My basic handgun skills are pretty good. I can hit minute-of-man with about any pistol handed to me. I have much room to improve my speed and precision.

My rifle skills are better than most. I’m very comfortable with my rifle, and if I slow myself down and don’t get lazy with the fundamentals, I’m downright decent.

My physical self isn’t great. I need to loose weight, do cardio, and strength training. Turning 30 and having two young boys (2 years and the other two months) makes that hard.

Where I need work is in medical. I don’t like that crap.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Murph's approach is objectively the best for most people.

You need to learn how criminals usually work and how to recognize signs that you've been targeted to have the best chance of defending yourself...whether that defense involves a gun or just avoiding the problem altogether. Most people do not know this and need it.

Once you know that, you need to have good gun skills. A reliable, safe, effective draw you can perform quickly. You need to be able to hit a small target at up to 7 yards quickly with multiple shots. That's what stops threats you can't avoid.

Decent medical skills to help yourself if you are hurt.

With that solid base, pursue other skills as you wish. Shooting better is always good. More medical is always good. Grappling or blade work, always good. Etc.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#18]
There is no need to train in anything.  It comes naturally.

Instinctive shooting.  

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no need to train in anything.  It comes naturally.

Instinctive shooting.  

www.amazon.com/dp/0873649575
View Quote

I like the book... and own a copy.  But what about knowing the law?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Murph's approach is objectively the best for most people.

You need to learn how criminals usually work and how to recognize signs that you've been targeted to have the best chance of defending yourself...whether that defense involves a gun or just avoiding the problem altogether. Most people do not know this and need it.

Once you know that, you need to have good gun skills. A reliable, safe, effective draw you can perform quickly. You need to be able to hit a small target at up to 7 yards quickly with multiple shots. That's what stops threats you can't avoid.

Decent medical skills to help yourself if you are hurt.

With that solid base, pursue other skills as you wish. Shooting better is always good. More medical is always good. Grappling or blade work, always good. Etc.
View Quote

Yeah, from what I have seen, watching a ton of SD videos. (Which if we are honest, is how most self defense “experts” gain their “experience.” If you have encountered more than a handful of legitimate self defense scenarios in a lifetime something is very very wrong.)

Situational awareness and being able to quickly draw and put accurate rounds on target is what wins the day in 95% or scenarios.

Stuff beyond that is mostly just fluff. Fun stuff to learn? Sure. But probably not necessary. Yeah a stop the bleed course is good, but none of that is rocket science. As a TEMS paramedic, I could train a monkey to do the basic MARCH assessment/treatment that really matters in the field. Yeah, if there are long transports/airway issues from trauma things get more complicated, but that’s usually not a factor in big cities where most of this stuff happens.

Bottom line, you don’t need to be a tier 1 badass. Not there is anything wrong with that, but it’s probably a waste of time if you are worried about civilian self defense.

The problem is, 85% of gun owners either suck at situational awareness/mindset and or can’t draw and accurately put rounds on target in 1.5 seconds or less. Go to your local recreational IDPA/USPCA match and watch just how terrible most gun owners are at shooting.

But that’s just my opinion, as a self described non-expert.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Tactical blind fire

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Im strapped and Im not a trained operator.  Im fine with that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

just be mindful that Defensive Gun Use statistics show vast majority of incidents ended with brandishing.  i.e. no shots fired.   and how much training did Kyle have?
View Quote

There were plenty of bastards like the author of this article who wanted to lock Kyle up: Kyle Rittenhouse’s $2 million legal funds won his case. Most defendants can’t afford that quality of aid

John Murphy indicates that prepaid legal defense is a good idea.  You agree?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Most shooting classes are the most fun you can have, while still wearing clothes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#27]
For most people the weakest link isn't firearms skill, but decision-making and intermediary hand-to-hand skill.

What good is a 1s draw from concealment if I kill a no-shoot? What good is a 1second draw from concealment if I'm now fighting the bad guy for my gun?

What good is a sub-1s draw from open carry with full range kit on a static range?

What good is spending 100% training time on firearms when 80% of violent crime is mere simple assault?

Things to consider if you're under a certain paradigm.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For most people the weakest link isn't firearms skill, but decision-making and intermediary hand-to-hand skill.

What good is a 1s draw from concealment if I kill a no-shoot? What good is a 1second draw from concealment if I'm now fighting the bad guy for my gun?

What good is a sub-1s draw from open carry with full range kit on a static range?

What good is spending 100% training time on firearms when 80% of violent crime is mere simple assault?

Things to consider if you're under a certain paradigm.
View Quote

Absolutely.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Some things haven't changed at all in the last 2,500 years:

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#30]
What is skill acquisition? It’s the process of developing skills.

It has long be said there are Four stages of competence:

Unconscious incompetence

The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognize their own incompetence, and the value of the new skill, before moving on to the next stage. The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn.

Conscious incompetence

Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, they recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.

Conscious competence

The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill.

Unconscious competence

The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
View Quote

Antifa?

check
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Wanting to get better at something to better exercise a right is a noble idea.

Putting conditions on someone’s ability to exercise a right is tyranny, no matter how noble your intent.

If you’re going to be throwing around the phrase “freedom is scary” to justify your rights, you have to accept the fact that sometimes you get to be scared, too.

There is an insatiable natural desire to control what other humans do. My biggest obstacle to authorizing concealed carry within our church is another VERY pro-gun, pro-2A person on our council who won’t go along with it unless we form a security team, and allow ONLY people on the security team to carry, and then ONLY if they have completed certain “training.”  “We can’t allow just ANYONE to carry in here!”

The problem is we don’t have enough manpower or volunteers to form an adequate “security team.” He’s choosing “no guns” (well, no “legal” guns, because I’m not dumb enough to think there aren’t people carrying anyway) over allowing people he doesn’t have control over to carry.

There’s also an element of “I’m better than you and thus entitled to more rights, because of something I did.” We see this a lot with military veterans and police officers who will flat out tell you that THEY should be able to have guns, or even certain types of guns, which should be restricted from “civilians” because they lack the specialized training that the veteran or police officer have received.

The desire to control people and the idea that your rights are based on something you did are both very dangerous to freedom, and neither side of the aisle is immune to them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
It is necessary to be as competent as possible in every area from safety to speed to accuracy to laws. To train under less than ideal circumstances, to make hits as fast as possible and to be skilled in malfunction clearance, day or night, rain, cold, snow, lack of sleep and high stress. To also seek and continually grow in skills and knowledge. If a self defense situation ever happens you’ll want every possible advantage and it’s not over until it’s over.

Situational awareness
Criminal psychology of attacks
Avoidance and de escalation (this is the ideal)
Firearm skills
Medical skills, knowing how to stop bleeding and use a tourniquet
Driving skills to get away if you’re pursued, perhaps a road rage asshole devices to follow you home. You don’t hear much about that but it’s not a bad idea to think about

It’s best to anticipate realistic situations LONG before they happen so you don’t shit yourself and freeze in a dangerous situation. The usual responses are fight, flight, freeze. You’re fucked if you freeze. Try and flee and if you cannot then it comes down to the last option. Self defense

There are incredibly callous individuals out there who would kick down your door and gang rape your pretty daughter or mother or sister while making you watch, then shoot both of you. Those people while rare, if that doesn’t get your ass motivated to train and be smart then I don’t know what will. Home invasions always happen to the other guy until somehow it happens to you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I didn't watch OP's vid but I certainly agree with the TJ quote.

Been actively encouraging it for years.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#35]
One needs to have the correct inclination to be effective. No remorse, second thoughts, hesitation. Just get it done, move on. The majority don't have it. Some who feel they do, don't. It is the few who actually do have it are the one who will get things done. They are the one who are to be feared.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I wear camo everywhere and smell like sour milk.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hello fellow tactitwat!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Most Americans should probably just focus on their fitness. None of these cool-guy moves mean shit if you can't cover distance on foot without dying from heart failure.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
with a pistol, unless your muscle memory is so good you don't have to use the sights, you need to train more.

That's why pops started me out with a 410 shotgun without a front sight dot.
View Quote

The people who think their muscle memory is so good they don’t have to use sights and therefore don’t need to train more are on the left side of a Dunning-Krueger chart.

They need to train more than anyone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Never stop learning and never stop being teachable.

There is ALWAYS someone who knows more than you.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

In fairness a baby can shoot an AR effectively. Kyle did great  knowing when to pull the trigger though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#42]
"There is no instance of any government being reduced to a confirmed tyranny without military oppression. And the first policy of tyrants has been to annihilate all other means of national activity and defense, when they feared opposition, and to rely solely upon standing troops." – Unsigned, Anti-Federalist No. 28
View Quote

Estimates for Texas:

LTC = License To Carry

Can we actually be free if we don't train?

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man… sometimes I miss old timey gun shows.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Firearms manipulation (shoot), comms (communicate), fitness (move), and team tactics, in no particular order.

If you don't have the skillset (or better) of the basic infantryman, fuck you. If you're too old/physically disabled, do what you can to support those who aren't. Become logistics in whatever capacity that means for you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Holy Cow!  That interview made it to ARFCOM!  I HAVE ARRIVED (Again)!  

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Firearms manipulation (shoot), comms (communicate), fitness (move), and team tactics, in no particular order.

If you don't have the skillset (or better) of the basic infantryman, fuck you. If you're too old/physically disabled, do what you can to support those who aren't. Become logistics in whatever capacity that means for you.
View Quote

I think there is "some" overlap, but the comparison gets strained when you compare mission statements and mindsets.  When I was an 03 in the Marines, my mission was to "Locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and movement, or repel his assault with fire and close combat."  As a everyday US of A citizen, I just want to get home intact physically, legally and monetarily.  

As an infantry guy I learned to identify enemy weapons systems.  As an armed citizen I need to understand criminal pre-assault indicators.
As an infantry guy I needed to stop the bleeding, so there's definite overlap there.

The big difference is mindset.  As an infantry guy I was told to go looking for trouble.  As an armed citizen I need to avoid, deescalate and depart if at all possible.  I will be subjected to extreme scrutiny for even displaying a gun.

Fitness?  Absolutely, but as I have aged that is changing a bit.  

Communicate with higher, adjacent and lower?  Yup, but now I am communicating with people I am in conflict with, or criminals and law enforcement.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#47]
21 years in the Army, I'm good.  I notice OP does not have dog tags by his avatar.  We need something to show people that are veterans of FPS games and WoW.  Maybe two lightning bolts beside each other, something like //
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
 We need something to show people that are veterans of FPS games and WoW.  Maybe two lightning bolts beside each other, something like //
View Quote

A Mt Dew bottle and acne cream could work.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
21 years in the Army, I'm good.  I notice OP does not have dog tags by his avatar.  We need something to show people that are veterans of FPS games and WoW.  Maybe two lightning bolts beside each other, something like //
View Quote

I don't have 21 years, but I'm not convinced you'd either out-shoot or out-rank me
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

So in your 21 years, did the Army teach you OODA loop, the Law of Self-Defense, how to safely draw from concealment, or Farnam’s Rules of Stupid??

Because as an LTC instructor I've taught those subjects to Active Duty who didn't have a clue about them.  John briefly discusses those and more in the video.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top