Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/10/2024 9:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: neshomamench]
The spirit of this thread isnt really about *things* but that may be a component.   This is about something you hated as a kid and/or teen about your life and you told yourself that you would not have such issues as an adult....and you succeeded.

I realize for some folks it will be tough things like "not enough food" or "never to get hit again..."  For some it may be things that seem trivial like "I swore I would never ever shine the silverware again" or "I will never mow a lawn again.... or even "I will never eat that again come one day!!!!...."

The reality is, good, bad, horrid, ok or great, as kids and teens we decide that there are just some things we dont want to do or have in our lives as adults.   Some of those things we never conquer. Sometimes we do.

BONUS question.  What was something you told yourselve would not be in your adult life and you FAILED to figure out?

Go...and good luck!
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Embarrass my children in public.  I fucking hated that as a kid.  My parents did it all the time.  Not in a funny, laugh about it later way.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 45ProCarry:
Embarrass my children in public.  I fucking hated that as a kid.  My parents did it all the time.  Not in a funny, laugh about it later way.
View Quote

So, this is a pretty good answer....but what do you mean?

For example, as a 14 and 15 year old (almost able to drive) I was embarrassed when my folks dropped me off at school.  I would have them drop me off out of sight and walk the rest of the way.   As a 40 something guy this seems absurd and petty to me....but it really meant a lot to me then.

Are you talking about something like that or your folks telling your teenage friends how you wet the bed one time when you were 12 type stuff?
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Raise a garden.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Not be poor.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Sharing personal things, outside the home.  Things discussed at home, stay at home.  Say your younger sister gets an upset stomach from pepperoni pizza.  You don’t tell the neighborhood gossip that little Suzy has the shits from it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:47:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PikeSlayer] [#7]
Pineapple on pizza. I fucking hate it. My parents ordered it on every pizza I ever had as a child. Oh, it's your birthday? You're getting it on the pizza anyway because we like it. I fucking hate it. I would burn down pizza places that still offer it as an option if I could. Fuck you Hawaii.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PikeSlayer:
Pineapple on pizza. I fucking hate it. My parents ordered it on every pizza I ever had as a cold. Oh, it's your birthday? You're getting it on the pizza anyway because we like it. I fucking hate it. I would burn down pizza places that still offer it as an option if I could. Fuck you Hawaii.
View Quote

We can be friends. Pineapple on pizza is for dirty sinners who will die unforgiven and smoke turds in hell until a woman admits she is wrong.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#9]
My parents had me take ballroom dancing class as a kid. I hated it. I do it now on rare ocasssions. My girlfriend wanted us to take classes and I said okay. She knew something was up, she put an end to it in a hurry when a number of the women wanted to dance with me isntead of the person they came with. Mission accomplished on two accounts.

I also took jazz, but that is staying my secret forever. I did a lot of shit as a kid I hated.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Mom cut my and my brothers hair. They were horrid haircuts every time. I hated picking okra out of the garden and refuse to allow it in the house. I hated eating bologna sandwiches . I have bought bologna once every 7-8 years as an adult. My brother threw it away when his ex wife brought it home.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
General spousal complaining/ distrust.
"My husband is such an idiot"
"My wife is such a nagging old bitch".
If I'm ever lucky enough to find someone that I want to spend my life with, I'm going to make damn certain the they feel valued and loved. Especially if I ever have kids. I was dating this chick at one point and she asked me "you have so many people you look up to in life. Did you ever have any one that set an example of what a healthy relationship looked like growing up?". I realized that, my parents worked very hard and they gave me a lot in life. But I never remember looking at them and going "wow mommy and daddy really do care about each other a lot".
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Beat a woman.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Doing math without a calculator
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:
My parents had me take ballroom dancing class as a kid. I hated it. I do it now on rare ocasssions. My girlfriend wanted us to take classes and I said okay. She knew something was up, she put an end to it in a hurry when a number of the women wanted to dance with me isntead of the person they came with. Mission accomplished on two accounts.

I also took jazz, but that is staying my secret forever. I did a lot of shit as a kid I hated.
View Quote

Ummmm...
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:00:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#15]
Embarrassing kids for the sake of humor. My mom's side of the family thought it was great fun to embarrass people for fun. My dad would shut it down, my mom would start but stop after my dad spoke up. I refuse to continue that or participate and have asked them to leave my house when they start too.

Things I chose to continue, having fun with my kids. My parents were pretty good at doing stuff with us and generally being fun when they could. They had a very good parent-fun balance.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy bad cars. My parents had an affinity for domestic brands that would just fall apart while Japanese and Euro brands the same age and mileage would look perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't say never again, and I didn't come to a stunning realization either but a couple things from my childhood are permanently in the past.

1: I will not be forced to eat something that I don't want. Simple as that, I don't want it I don't eat it.

2: Forced affection IE: "Give your aunt Bernice a hug and a kiss before we go home." I don't have kids so this one doesn't fully apply to me but when it comes to my nieces and nephews if they want to hug me they can but I don't press the issue if they don't. I hated that shit when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Go to church.  

Wait in lines.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Gonna be a lot of alcohol replies in here. I guess I won't do shit my dad does that annoys me. It's hard to enumerate what those things are in a few sentences, but I won't do them if I ever have kids. A lot of good stuff he did too, but some of the annoying shit drives me insane sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Be a strict parent.

And yet, here I am, a pretty strict parent.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#21]
I will never not have a pool in my back yard again.

As a kid I loved swimming. LOVED it. In the summer I lived to be in the water. I begged my parents for years. They had the space and the means. Refused to put one in. I get it.

But as an adult when I got to a point where I had the space and the means I put one in. My kids love it. It’s great family time and exercise outside. It has been a lifelong dream realized.

I worked from home today. Around 2:00 it got real quiet in the house. Step out of my office, house is empty. Look outside and the wife and kids are in the pool. That makes me feel good inside.

Oh, guess who else likes my pool? My parents
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:08:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#22]
Originally Posted By zachary78:
I wouldn't say never again, and I didn't come to a stunning realization either but a couple things from my childhood are permanently in the past.

1: I will not be forced to eat something that I don't want. Simple as that, I don't want it I don't eat it.

2: Forced affection IE: "Give your aunt Bernice a hug and a kiss before we go home." I don't have kids so this one doesn't fully apply to me but when it comes to my nieces and nephews if they want to hug me they can but I don't press the issue if they don't. I hated that shit when I was a kid.
View Quote
I hear ya on this, but be careful about making picky eaters. There's a difference between not eating beef stroganoff with tons of mushrooms and not eating macaroni and cheese because it was made from a powder and not a fancy whole foods brand. The picky eaters of today are extremely annoying. Not eating obvious stuff kids don't like is stuff of the past.

I've seen my niece not eat pizza because the sauce was showing on the edges. Brother in law had to recut all the slices so the sauce didn't show. DO NOT do that with your kids.

ETA: On your point #2, I've seen it really tear aunts, uncles, and grandparents apart. Little shit doesn't even say goodbye or talk to people unless they want something. DO NOT do this with your kids. If you want them to struggle getting jobs and not being personable in the workplace don't teach them they have to respect anybody. It will super duper work out for them in life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar154all] [#23]
Eat oatmeal from the cardboard tube.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll never work in a restaurant again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have kids.

If/when I do: I was pretty abused during my teenage years for various reasons I won't disclose. I'm going to do my best to ensure my kid's teenage years are the best possible.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
I hear ya on this, but be careful about making picky eaters. There's a difference between not eating beef stroganoff with tons of mushrooms and not eating macaroni and cheese because it was made from a powder and not a fancy whole foods brand. The picky eaters of today are extremely annoying. Not eating obvious stuff kids don't like is stuff of the past.

I've seen my niece not eat pizza because the sauce was showing on the edges. Brother in law had to recut all the slices so the sauce didn't show. DO NOT do that with your kids.

ETA: On your point #2, I've seen it really tear aunts, uncles, and grandparents apart. Little shit doesn't even say goodbye or talk to people unless they want something. DO NOT do this with your kids. If you want them to struggle getting jobs and not being personable in the workplace don't teach them they have to respect anybody. It will super duper work out for them in life.
View Quote

I don't have kids and don't plan to either.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Never to be at the mercy of junk cars and lack of 4x4.

I spent most of my teen life on top of a godforsaken hill 15 miles from town, that never got any sort of real winter maintenance, and had parents who were such failures all we could afford were 15 year old RWD boat cars which couldn't even get out of the driveway half the time, and never could make it back home if they did. Saving up for a single pair (not set, rears only) of snow tires took a whole year.

From age 10 to when I finally got my license, I saved every penny I could get my hands. Finally around 13 I lucked into buying a 4 wheeler that needed work, fixed it myself and flipped it. Repeated a few times. When I was 16 I already had a nice 4x4 Bronco waiting for me to get my license.

My father hated me for that acumen, got drunk and challenged me for thinking I'm a "big man" now that I could earn a few bucks and told me I was on my own - no help from them anymore!  Little did he know I had already started taking care of most of my needs myself. With the exception of food and a room, they contributed nothing.  I'm surprised they didn't realize that their budget for cigarettes and beer was increasing.

Mom tried, but she was lacking any practical skills and when she tried to do anything, it just manifested in frustration and bitching at the old man, who just got madder and drank more and disassociated.

When I was 19 I had to leave my self-funded 2nd year of college to help keep them housed and heated since he was diagnosed with myeloma and had short time left. I'll give him this, he worked up to 2w before it got him. Didn't stop them from having the balls to ask me to cosign a huge loan when they knew he was on the way out. When I declined because my credit score was getting good and I didn't want to ruin it (and what they were doing was unnecessary in the grand scheme of things especially in the context of the terminal illness diagnosis) I was thrown out. After suspending my education to work and help them stay afloat.

I promised myself two things, I'd never be stranded at the mercy of a piece of shit car again, and I would die before I became a burden to someone else. As a result, never had kids because I can never believe I'm financially "ready" for it (even at 48 with a VP position and a 30yo wife) and my conveyance and its reliability is still my #1 concern (with good transportation and a skillset, all other things can be overcome). Thus far I've succeeded in not becoming them and not being stuck (physically or metaphorically).

Thanks mom and dad for the example of exactly what not to do.  There were good times, but they were so buried in the misery and angst of poverty and your mutual spite for one another, me, and the position you felt yourselves to be in because I existed. The lessons you taught me were invaluable and have never left me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By joker581:
Never have to wear the same clothes every day or so often that it is obvious.
View Quote

Once I got to high-school I wore the same outfit for four years.  My choice.  Saved mental energy trying to figure out what to wear.

My dad had a short fuse, and I found myself exhibiting similar tendencies.  I worked hard as an adult to chill out and reserve my ire for things that warranted it.  (Spoiler, very few things do.)
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#29]
My old man beating me every time something went wrong. I swore I would never lay a hand on my children in anger. And I didn't.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven't fixed a single Atari controller or VCR my entire adult life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By tspike:
My old man beating me every time something went wrong. I swore I would never lay a hand on my children in anger. And I didn't.
View Quote
Goddamn some of these replies are heartwrenching. I'm glad you were able to break the cycle but nobody should have to go through that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I swore that I would never wear bell bottom jeans after growing up in the 70s. Fuck I hated the sight of them. Hell I hated even boot cut jeans. It was hard to find straight legged jeans at one point in the 70s.

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I come from a family of alcoholics. I rarely drink because of it.

I do not eat liver.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Eat liver
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:41:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridahunter07] [#35]
I refuse to mingle with or show affection to people outside of my immediate family, unless I choose to do so.

The "come meet your fourth cousin ____" and having to act like you really give a shit or you get grabbed by the chin for being rude the next time you're out of eyesight of the rest of the family? Nah, that time is over.

My mom (who was always the worst about this) actually tried this recently on a trip where the whole family got together and visited my grandma for her birthday. I laughed when she had the gall to look at me with pure disgust and say "I can't believe you're the person I raised" because I had the audacity to not want to meet my third cousin and his mother (who I had already met years ago)... excuse TF outta me if I have no interest in keeping up with people who don't keep up with me, ever.

As far as my dad? Well... he was an embarrassment, a drunk, and a drug addict basically my entire life. Nothing about him was cool and I feel guilty for thinking it now, looking back, but he literally refused to do anything if it wasn't done his way and that included the way he dressed, acted, etc. He can still be an embarrassment but he's at the age now where health issues are a good cover-up for his behavior and nobody questions it anymore. He also loved to drive drunk with me in the car and do shit like smoke meth or crack on family vacations, so I've never been one for drinking unless it's at a bar with friends or out on a boat (and even that's very rare, like 1-3x a year) and never even smoked weed as a teenager/college student because I was afraid I'd somehow end up like him.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#36]
Pineapple on pizza. I fucking hate it. My parents ordered it on every pizza I ever had as a child. Oh, it's your birthday? You're getting it on the pizza anyway because we like it. I fucking hate it. I would burn down pizza places that still offer it as an option if I could. Fuck you Hawaii.
View Quote

I hate bullies

And I hate food bullies too. That's anyone who tries to make you eat what you don't want to, makes you eat MOAR than you want to, or even worse ridicules you for your personal taste, tries to shame you or makes fun of you or makes fun of your food

Eating disorders thrive on it
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I set my thermostat with zero regards to the cost. Saving $50/mo isn't worth being miserable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Eat fish.

Don't like it. Never liked it. But my family would make it and force me to eat it.

Never again
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:47:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#39]
Deleted
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Tavern life,  party hardy life, hooplehead life.

Fuck those people
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Treating tools as jewels.  

I was never allowed to use my Dad's chainsaw, though I watched enough to know how to be safe and respect the machine.

Now, I run saws to their max potential and maintain, change parts as they wear out.  The point for my Dad was to never have to replace or fix anything, in other words, baby it.

This sort of example transpired across pretty much everything mechanically related and drives me nuts to this day
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Chicken on rice with cream of mushroom soup over it is a no go for me. After college i swore off ramen too.

Also swore i would not get fat. I need to get a home gym to fight that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
I swore that I would never wear bell bottom jeans after growing up in the 70s. Fuck I hated the sight of them. Hell I hated even boot cut jeans. It was hard to find straight legged jeans at one point in the 70s.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61WFXuna0jL._AC_UL1023_.jpg
View Quote

Tell me about it.
I hated Bell Bottoms with a passion.
Not having enough money for a car I went most places on a bicycle.
(When I got out of I finally had enough $$$, but that was later)
The chain on my bike would snag the least wary edge of my slacks, causing a spill of one kind or another.  The edges looked chewed.
I categorically Refused to wear pants that had the slightest flair on the bottom.  

As for me: No More Rose Garden!  My Mother ( ) loved her roses.  She wasn't the one weeding the plants.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:00:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#44]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:

I hate bullies

And I hate food bullies too. That's anyone who tries to make you eat what you don't want to, makes you eat MOAR than you want to, or even worse ridicules you for your personal taste, tries to shame you or makes fun of you or makes fun of your food

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pale_pony:

I hate bullies

I think “finish your plate” “don’t waste” “kids are going hungry in China” resulted in a lot of eating disorders.

I felt a compulsion to finish everything that was put in front of me for a long time. My parents went hard on the “make a happy plate” thing. Probably leftover from being the kids of Great Depression era parents. I have to consciously stop eating. Realizing this helped me get to where I could maintain a healthy weight.

I don’t force my kids to finish what they are served. Stop when you don’t need to eat anymore.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Never take shit from anyone and have fuck you money I have done both
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By terrafirma:
Treating tools as jewels.  

I was never allowed to use my Dad's chainsaw, though I watched enough to know how to be safe and respect the machine.

Now, I run saws to their max potential and maintain, change parts as they wear out.  The point for my Dad was to never have to replace or fix anything, in other words, baby it.

This sort of example transpired across pretty much everything mechanically related and drives me nuts to this day
View Quote
Probably didn't know how to fix them.

Knowing how to fix things gives me the confidence to break them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Drum brakes on vehicles. My dad taught me how to do brakes on my first pickup and the first thing I thought of the rears was "what the fuck?" I've converted almost every vehicle I've owned.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I can’t really think of anything memorable I swore I’d never do, I just kind of stopped doing things I didn’t care for as I grew up and could make the choice.

The one thing that does come to mind is in school. I was very good at it but I resented the electives and extraneous activities we had to do to get our diplomas and degrees, so I had a mental checklist which I checked off with delight every time it was done. I’ll never have to do an art class again, never have to do an essay again, stuff like that. Later on a friend of mine ended up going back to grad school as an adult and she asked me to help her with an essay. Normally I’m happy to be helpful but I had a visceral reaction of “fuck that action, not a chance in hell.”
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Divorce so far.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#50]
My mom was a very good person overall but she was always late for everything. I think she did it on purpose.

I was forced to go to church every Sunday and we were always at least 5 minutes late and the service had already started.

I fucking hated that shit.

I’m never late for anything and have zero patience for people that can’t be on time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top