Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2020 12:17:51 AM EDT
I completed my Army active duty service 3 years ago, and honorably voluntarily separated short of the official retirement mark.  At that time, I did not owe any inactive reserve or additional service obligation time, so it was a clean separation.

Over the last few months, I've received multiple "official DoD" letters offering the opportunity to be assessed to return to service.  I know I'm not John Rambo being called up to solo fight the Russians (despite joking about this with my wife), but I am curious about these letters.  Is this just standard DoD junk mail?

I'm in that phase now where I miss some of the cool shit I used to do, and have gotten over the stuff that I used to hate.  A part of me is thinking about getting back in the game if I'm needed, but if this is just standard junk mailings to veterans then forget it.

Is anyone else getting these letters, or responsible for sending these letters?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Kamala is going to need some boots for the upcoming neck stepping.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen my letter yet?  Maybe because I got out of the Army in 1981?  Yeah that's probably it.  Oh well.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
You and I both know that is not spam!
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I completed my Army active duty service 3 years ago, and honorably voluntarily separated short of the official retirement mark.  At that time, I did not owe any inactive reserve or additional service obligation time, so it was a clean separation.

Over the last few months, I've received multiple "official DoD" letters offering the opportunity to be assessed to return to service.  I know I'm not John Rambo being called up to solo fight the Russians (despite joking about this with my wife), but I am curious about these letters.  Is this just standard DoD junk mail?

I'm in that phase now where I miss some of the cool shit I used to do, and have gotten over the stuff that I used to hate.  A part of me is thinking about getting back in the game if I'm needed, but if this is just standard junk mailings to veterans then forget it.

Is anyone else getting these letters, or responsible for sending these letters?
View Quote

Sorry bud, it is probably just spam from your local/regional recruiters. If it is signed by a MAJ or below, or a SSG or SFC, then that is probably just them blasting out form letters to the addresses they have on file.

Probably a bunch of stuff in their letter about re-class options, Reserve duty, and TriCare benefits, right?

Not trying to discourage you, based on your individual situation it might make sense to go back, but that's a different matter.

It also has nothing to do with current events, FYI.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I completed my Army active duty service 3 years ago, and honorably voluntarily separated short of the official retirement mark.
View Quote

OK, give why you left shortly before your 20? there has got to be a good story there
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK, give why you left shortly before your 20? there has got to be a good story there
View Quote

Most people leave before their 20.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 years short?

I took anger management twice a day to get through the last 3 at the PD I retired from.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
3 years short?

I took anger management twice a day to get through the last 3 at the PD I retired from.
View Quote

He said he just completed AD 3 years ago. Might have been at year 17, might not have been.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm good to 1200 on steel and I have an instrument rating and 3000 hours. I'm old and don't give a fuck. I suggest the Armed Forces have a program for vols that just want to make it count. I can see a bunch of old fuckers like me given an assignment with no ROE or consequences for our actions. If I could just find my reading glasses.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I got an email about COVID 19.  Nah, I'm good.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He said he just completed AD 3 years ago. Might have been at year 17, might not have been.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 years short?

He also said short of retirement.
There's an implication he's close, but we don't know how close.
Why even mention retirement if it wasn't in the picture?
How close is relevant to how he responds to the letter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I was medically retired from the Army in 1996 and around 2008-2010 I kept getting letters from the Navy wanting me to join. It finally took me calling the main Navy Recruiting office in St. Louis and talking to the commanding officer to get the letters to stop. I had to explain to him that I was medically retired and rated at 100% by the VA.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He also said short of retirement.
There's an implication he's close, but we don't know how close.
Why even mention retirement if it wasn't in the picture?
How close is relevant to how he responds to the letter.
View Quote

Fair point.

But this has now become a safe thread.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm in that phase now where I miss some of the cool shit I used to do, and have gotten over the stuff that I used to hate.  A part of me is thinking about getting back in the game if I'm needed, but if this is just standard junk mailings to veterans then forget it.  ...
View Quote

It shouldn't matter if it is spam or not.   You should evaluate the option to rejoin based on your own preferences and needs, and on what would be the best and most desirable option for your future.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting.
I was about a year from finishing my Degree on the GI Bill when I started getting offers from the Air Force.
Join up and we'll pay your tuition.

You guys gave fantastic rides, but you're nearly four years late for me to consider joining up again.
Beside: My knees still hurt.

Furthermore:
I've often mentioned here that my Mother was a RN.
Even after she retired from nursing she would often get letters asking her to join some branch of the Armed Forcers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top