Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2007 10:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Manic_Moran]
So, you want to consider the Army/Guard or Reserve, do you? Good choice!

Here's what this is about. The Army has a referral/mentoring program in place, whereby someone who refers a potential soldier to a recruiter, and then mentors that soldier through the recruiting and training process, gets a nice cash bonus. Very handy, both for the referrer and also for the recruit. It's called "G-RAP" or "ESAR" in its various forms. The purpose of this thread is to link up potential recruits with an applicable ArfCom mentor. If the potential recruit goes straight to the recruiter himself, this opportunity is lost.

So, couple of questions up front:
1) "Do I get a taste of the cash?": No. That's why you get a nice enlistment bonus. This is for the mentor.
2) "Then what's in it for me?": A mentor to help you through the recruiting/soldierising process, the satisfaction of helping out a fellow ArfCommer, and if this ArfCom 'program' works out, once in you can sign on as a mentor yourself and gain the fiscal benefits that way in the future.
3) "Does it cost me anything?" No. These are funds set aside for G-RAP. If you don't have anyone refer you, the money stays in the Federal bank account in DC. There is no benefit to you for not being G-RAPed/ESARed
4) "Do I have to pick an ArfCommer?": No. Chances are the first person you want to consider is a soldier or retiree whom you personally know and like in "real life." However, if you've got nobody better in mind, why not pick one of us?

So, with those questions out of the way, here's how this works.

Feel free to start a thread asking for opinions/advice, much as everyone has been doing up until now. Make up your mind if you wish to talk to a recruiter. If you do decide that you wish to talk to a recruiter (no commitment, just talk for information gathering), stop. If you wish to have someone in the real world GRAP/ESAR you, go find them and talk to them.

If you are satisfied with the concept of having an ArfCommer as your mentor, look at the list below for the most suitable person. I would personally suggest by geographic region, but that's not mandatory. Guardsmen can refer Active Army recruits and vice versa. PM that individual and let them know you're interested in talking to a recruiter. That person will then PM or email you back requesting some basic information about you, which he will then forward in through the system and the recruiter will contact you soon enough.

Again, there is no commitment required at this point. The recruiter will pitch his sale. If you decide to walk away at this point, no harm done. You'd be wrong to join the Navy, but we won't stop you. If you do decide to join up, then congratulations. Don't forget to tell your mentor!

At this point, your mentor should be a point of contact for advice, help, and general moral support over the forthcoming months of misery which await you. If you think you're out of shape, and you're geographically close enough, your mentor should do PT with you! He'll probably write you letters during Basic to keep your spirits up. Before going to Basic, give you training on stripping/assembly of the M-16...no, wait.. This is ArfCom. You know how to do that already. Basically his job is to get you through the system to come out the other end as a qualified soldier.

Once you're done, feel free to give feedback on your mentor. I will have no compunctions against removing persons from this list if they fail their obligations. Don't forget to have yourself added to the list as well!

So, here's the list, in no particular order except as posted in the 'mentor recruiting' thread.

If you wish to be added to this list, reply to this thread.. Please, don't fill up this one. I do promise to check regularly.

List of Mentors

Manic_Moran
Northern California, Northern Nevada. National Guard, Armor/Cavalry.

LPDtactical
West Central Ohio. National Guard, Air Defense Artillery

BadDog38
Ft Worth Area, Texas. Army Reserve, Civil Affairs.

Fnkystuf
Mansfield, North-East Ohio. Air National Guard. Airlift.

_RAGNAR_
Washington State/Pacific NW. National Guard, Infantry/Special Forces/Airborne.

Stryker_11A
Eastern Pennsylvania. National Guard, Infantry. (Strykers)

FightingHellfish
Central Arizona, Phoenix. National Guard, Infantry.

VTInfantrySgt
Southern Vermont, New Hampshire. National Guard, Infantry.

steveamy
Iowa, National Guard. Infantry/Cavalry

foogoo
Southern California, National Guard.

madmathew
Connecticut & Michigan. National Guard, Aviation.

Garand_Shooter
Carolinas, Eastern Tennessee, SouthWestern Virginia. Army Reserve.

zdorf23
Wisconsin, National Guard. Infantry/Cavalry

cookhj
San Antonio Area, Texas. Aviation Mechanic

TrOoPeRcHiN_
Vermont. Guard/ROTC SMP, Military Police.

JackBurton
Michigan. Guard. Field Artillery, Military Police. Also works for recruiters. (eek!)

shootsenmeister
Currently in Iraq. Active Duty. Ordnance. Former drill sergeant. (eek!)

sms5183
Missouri/Illinois/Idaho. Army Reserve. Combat Engineer.

Depidy_Dawg
Wyoming. Air Guard/Army Guard. AF Security Forces/Army Engineer.

testedone
Illinois. Guard. Old Geezer.

Sylvan
Alaska, also Oregon and Texas (!). Guard.

Castillo
New York State. Guard. Combat Engineer, Airborne.

FREEFALLE7
Georgia (I think) Active Army, Infantry, Airborne, Master Parachutist. Drill Sergeant.

WWCND
Nebraska, National Guard. Infantry, Transportation.

Sixgun_Symphony
Seattle area, National Guard. Construction Engineer. (Plumbing, carpentry, electrician, that sort of thing)

Tested
New Mexico. National Guard Infantry, formerly Army Reserve Medic, Engineer.

Sgt_Gold
New York. National Guard. Signals, Infantry, MP.

Lokt
Michigan, National Guard. Engineer, Officer/Warrant Officer Accessions.

jchewie
Michigan National Guard. Heavy Equipment Operator, Engineer.

21BoomCBTENGR
Virginia, Richmond/Hampton Roads area. Construction/Combat engineer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Oregon Air National Guard member here chiming in.  I'm a civil engineer (electrical power production technician) willing to give anyone advice about joining.  I'm also former active Army and Oregon Army National Guard.   I've got 20 yrs 6 months total service so far.  I've also been a member of the Oregon National Guard combat rifle competition team.  Any questions are welcome.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Recruiters (bless their hearts) are the best used car salesman in the business. They're going to drive you towards the positions they need to fill, i.e. SF, Maint. Services, etc. But for anyone considering enlistment either in the Air Guard or AF Reserve should do some homework. Like:
1) Find out the UTA schedule and make an appointment to talk with the Commander or 1st Sgt.
2) Talk to some unit members
3) Decide what you want to do

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a G-RAP rep in Northwest Georgia. 31B - Military Police here. Served since 1987, departing for Iraq (again) in October 2008.

You can add me to your contact list if you wish. I'll be more than happy to answer questions anyone might have and not shove them toward an enlistment if they cannot get the MOS they want.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Northern Minnesota - Army Reserve - 88A Transportation Officer

If anyone is interested in becoming an Officer in the Army, I am more than willing to share with you some insights into the various routes to that end, as well as what you can expect for a FS (Force Sustainment / formerly Combat Logistics Support) day to day.
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Sw Minnesota, national guard 21b, combat engineer
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 11:11:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluelightspecial] [#6]
Alabama Army National Guard, Warrant Officer, Ordnance, 11 years of service. I'm happy to talk with anyone considering joining the Guard or Reserve. In my personal opinion it is one of the best decisions a young person can make. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 2:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Let me know if anyone from Florida is going in! 11B, Infantry - Anti Armor

I'll help out with any questions

I also have some backpacks to give away if u sign up LOL
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 2:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: taseal] [#8]
oops, double post!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the 2/162 IN.  In Oregon, currently in Iraq.  I'm willing to mentor if you're looking for someone to talk to in Oregon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Montana National Guard here. Was active. 11C30. Infantry Mortar... be glad to help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Please add me to the list. I've already helped one ARFCOM prior service guy get back in the guard.

Virginia, 116th IBCT. About to go to 11B school, former 13B. Been deployed to Iraq, taken some good schools. Let me know if I can help about any questions regarding the VA ARNG.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
So i'm still up in the air about what MOS to go for. Part of me wants to go to combat, but most of me says find something in the rear and stay safe to come home to my wife and daughter. I like the idea of a 91F or a 91K, but I'm getting the idea those MOS's are more for "bottom feeders" to put is in another arfcommer's words. My recruiter keeps pushing toward something in the 91 class stating thats all that's available in my local area, and a couple I might like. That being said, I would also like to get into something like a 25Q. I thought the NG was like the Army and has a guaranteed job deal or something. I get the feeling he is just trying to fill a slot with me. Should I take the 91K or kinda play it off until something else is made available?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#13]
The NG definitely is like the Army in that you get a guaranteed MOS in your contract - as long as you fulfill your part (complete all training, ship when you're supposed to, etc) then you'll go to that MOS. Sounds to me that your recruiter is indeed pushing you into what he wants you to do; however - many states are above 100% staffing right now, with the economy in the tank people are sticking around for the extra few hundred bones a month. So, there may not be any openings in the slot you want. Most recruiters are assigned to a specific unit or area of units, I'd find someone local (or an ARFCOM guard member in your area) who knows what units are in your area and what jobs they do. Once you figure out what you want, THEN talk to a recruiter. Do your research like you're already doing, but make some local contacts, even consider talking to the readiness NCO at the unit. They can give you a straight scoop on what you want and what you're looking for. PM me if you want, I can try to help out some more if I'm able.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pevrs114:
Please add me to the list. I've already helped one ARFCOM prior service guy get back in the guard.

That was me.  Credit where credit is due.  Thank you for your help, seriously.

<––- former USMCR 0311 and 1371, now a Virginia ARNG 88M-to-be pending school this summer.  I have been in the Army a whole three days and have yet to drill with my unit, so I am in now way qualified to recruit anyone.  Maybe soon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Well Guys, as of Thursday 20100311, I became official. I swore in to the SC National Guard about 11am as a 91K. I ship to BCT 20100818 at Ft. Knox. Thanks to everyone for their posts and to Garand_Shooter and Pevrs114 for the insight and encouragement both of them provided.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm planning on joining active Army close to the beginning of next year, I finish my AS in IT Security this December and I was hoping to ask some questions from some prior/currently active Army guys if that's okay. I PM'd a couple fellas but I'm sure people are busy, haven't heard from those whom I have PM'd was wondering if anyone had any time to help someone wanting to enlist with a few questions.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Potential Tennessee National Guard recruit, checking in
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#18]
i was joining active army and got pdq for past kidney problems, one recruiter said that i still have a chance if i show them my kidneys are better. i have been going to a kidney dr. every month and my kidneys are back to normal, just hope they change thier mind and let me in :)
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm seeing there's no mentors in Ohio here so I will step up and claim that position haha.   In afghanistan now btw.

Ohio Army National Guard 2008 - present, 11B (Light Infantry Designated Marksman)
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:53:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hkmp5ks] [#20]
I'm in the process of enlisting with the west virginia national guard... Anyone around wheeling? Pm me
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm interested in joining the missouri national guard as either a 11b or 12b. Anybody have experience from here?
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
WV Air Nation Guard C-130 Loadmaster
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 11:02:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ProgressCheck] [#23]
I've been looking into Guard/Reserve options. I'm currently an active duty senior airman with a 1N051 AFSC but with a desire to find my way into 1B4X1. Biggest concerns for me are family and income stability, and of course I would like to find myself in a rural and liberty-loving area. I'm from WV, but I don't necessarily have to be close to home.

Thanks for any help.

ETA: Typo fixes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there anyone in the Northern Virginia/DC/Maryland "DMV" area that I could speak with? I'm on the fence about joining the Army and am looking for someone to ask a few questions before i go talk to a recruiter
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:37:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mallard386] [#25]
Virginia ANG 1W0X1 200th Weather Flight out of Sandston would love to help out some guys that have some questions
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#26]
This needs to be deleted/unpinned, I think. The program is long over.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#27]
My son needs a contact for recruitment with the OK Air Nat Guard.
it has been a fiasco trying to get a recruiter to call him back. even when sending in his info online at the website he has not been given a contact.

if anyone has an "in" with the problem, please PM me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skins45:
I'm seeing there's no mentors in Ohio here so I will step up and claim that position haha.   In afghanistan now btw.

Ohio Army National Guard 2008 - present, 11B (Light Infantry Designated Marksman)
View Quote
I'm Ohio Army Guard and volunteer as a mentor/contact as well.

Currently in Iraq on my second deployment, but not for too much longer. I'm aviation and have been in 12 years full time guard and part time. Email me for quickest response but PM works too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top