Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2020 3:12:20 PM EDT
Did we do this one yet? This is the reason behind Armslist charging a monthly fee for a membership.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.postcrescent.com/amp/3622221001

"The estate of Sara Schmidt, who was shot and killed by her husband in 2018, has filed a lawsuit against Armslist, claiming "reckless and unlawful business practices" by the online firearms marketplace allowed her estranged husband to illegally obtain the gun he used to kill her.

Schmidt, a 40-year-old from Harrison, near Appleton, was killed by her husband, Robert Schmidt, on Jan. 9, 2018, after she brought her three children to his parent's home, where he was staying at the time. He shot her as she sat in her vehicle in the driveway, then retreated to the backyard, where he took his own life.

The lawsuit was filed last week in federal court in Green Bay by Sara Schmidt's father, Richard Webber, who is the administrator of Schmidt's estate. The estate is represented by Milwaukee's Cannon & Dunphy, New York law firm Blank Rome and Brady Legal, lawyers who work with Brady United, formerly known as the Brady Center for the Prevention of Gun Violence.

The lawsuit claims Armslist allowed Robert Schmidt — who had been told by a judge he wasn't allowed to have a gun because of an ongoing domestic violence case involving Sara Schmidt — because of his history of domestic violence against Sara Schmidt — to obtain the handgun he used to kill her and take his own life."

I found this interesting from an older article...

"Sara Schmidt, 40, was shot and killed by her husband, Robert Schmidt, 49, outside a Harrison residence. The shooting happened a few days after Robert Schmidt got out of jail on a $10,000 cash bond on charges that he viciously attacked and sexually assaulted his wife on Dec. 31. She filed for divorce on Jan. 5, the same day Robert Schmidt was released from jail."

This sounds to me like a failed jail system. The family should be suing the damn county if they want money. "Ohh you got $10k, you pass go"  fuck domestic abusers.  

I remember the shooting as it was very close to my home, also my step dad also knew the shooter.

I had no idea that the victims family were the ones suing Armslist though.  That caught me by surprise.

This is the same bullshit that Remington had to go through (and still is) after Sandy Hook.

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck Cucklist.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck Cucklist.
View Quote

Now why do we hate armslist? Buy, sell, trade guns without the hassle of gun shows... what am i missing here?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Armslist didn't allow anything. They didn't make the guy buy a gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Now why do we hate armslist? Buy, sell, trade guns without the hassle of gun shows... what am i missing here?
View Quote

I hate the scammer aspect of Armslist.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scammer aspect? Are you kidding me??? How do you get scammed in a F2F deal?

Ive sold and bought plenty on armslist.  Easier than having to ship to a FFL for guns. Meet in the grocery parking lot, heres your gun, take my cash. Where is the scam? Unless youre old and retarded you should never get scammed on armslist.  

Well now theres a monthly fee... that should help fight scammers... right?

Or fuck selling privately online for free because i get scammed everytime!!

Pathetic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Recently they changed their model so that you have to pay to get the sellers contact info to respond to an add.
Sellers are throttled to 3 adds at once, many features are now behind a pay wall.

Charging sellers to sell makes sense, craigslist did and it cleaned things up. Charging people to communicate with a seller is silly.

Thats why I hate armslist. But I understand that its demise will affect 2A freedoms.

The scammers are annoying but not Armslist fault. They are easy enough to filter out .
Cant get scammed selling FTF in a PD parking lot to a CCW holder cash only
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck Cannon and Dunphy. They are local to SE WI.

Hardly Armlist's fault, whether you like the site or not.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Recently they changed their model so that you have to pay to get the sellers contact info to respond to an add.
Sellers are throttled to 3 adds at once, many features are now behind a pay wall.

Charging sellers to sell makes sense, craigslist did and it cleaned things up. Charging people to communicate with a seller is silly.

Thats why I hate armslist. But I understand that its demise will affect 2A freedoms.

The scammers are annoying but not Armslist fault. They are easy enough to filter out .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They recently changed it where you had to pay because of this lawsuit.  Sellers should just put a phone number or if youre scared a secondary email address right in the ad.

My areas armslist was great, had lots new postings and deals daily. Shitty its all going away and once its gone, its gone forever.  So anyone that says its a good thing isnt complete 2A.

As far as scammers, use your head. Scammers are not that smart and if you get scammed... well...

People in the EE get scammed.  We have a HOS, shit happens but only deal F2F and youre good to go.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Are guns bought on Armslist shipped to FFL or direct to buyer at all or just info exchange?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are guns bought on Armslist shipped to FFL or direct to buyer at all or just info exchange?
View Quote

Face to Face. Its a local for sale board.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are guns bought on Armslist shipped to FFL or direct to buyer at all or just info exchange for later meetups?
View Quote

armslist is like craigslist for firearms. someone posts up an ad for something they have for sale and sell it privately. Up to the seller on verifying buyer isn't a prohibited person, whether thats thru an ffl, some kind of ccw/purchase permit, or just verbally.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ive sold and bought plenty on armslist.  Easier than having to ship to a FFL for guns. Meet in the grocery parking lot, heres your gun, take my cash. Where is the scam? Unless youre old and retarded you should never get scammed on armslist.  

Pathetic.
View Quote

Calm down Twinkle Toes. I despise the 100’s of scammer emails I receive every day for items I have listed on Armslist. Weeding thru those scammers on a daily basis is tiresome. JFC, try some decaf.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

armslist is like craigslist for firearms. someone posts up an ad for something they have for sale and sell it privately. Up to the seller on verifying buyer isn't a prohibited person, whether thats thru an ffl, some kind of ccw/purchase permit, or just verbally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are guns bought on Armslist shipped to FFL or direct to buyer at all or just info exchange for later meetups?

Seller has zero responsibility of verifying if buyer is prohibited or not. Thats why armslist is getting this bullshit lawsuit.

If youre worried about that, require a ccwp form the buyer and write a bill of sale.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Calm down Twinkle Toes. I despise the 100’s of scammer emails I receive every day for items I have listed on Armslist. Weeding thru those scammers on a daily basis is tiresome. JFC, try some decaf.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pathetic.

Ah gotcha, i cant say i have ever been swamped with scammer emails. I had 2 ARs for sale on armslist a little over a week ago and i maybe had 6 emails on them in 2 days. Maybe scammers dont like overpriced PSAs

And i dont drink coffee without whiskey.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ah gotcha, i cant say i have ever been swamped with scammer emails. I had 2 ARs for sale on armslist a little over a week ago and i maybe had 6 emails on them in 2 days. Maybe scammers dont like overpriced PSAs

And i dont drink coffee without whiskey.
View Quote

We can be friends.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
OP you must live extremely close to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We can be friends.
View Quote

Welp this thread didnt go how i thought it would but at least i got a buddy

Quoted:
OP you must live extremely close to me.
View Quote

Im 2.5 miles from trigger action sports.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Armslist didn't allow anything. They didn't make the guy buy a gun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can ship if you want, it's just riskier because Armslist has a high level of anonymity and no feedback or vetting. I've shipped items to buyers without any problems.

Obviously if you want to buy something particularly high dollar, you need to seek better protective measures/recourse versus how you would do a deal on the EE here.

My best deals off Armslist were local, scored a KAC SR-15 mod 1 with an ACOG for $2500, and a S&W 1006 with extras and some ammo for $900.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Welp this thread didnt go how i thought it would but at least i got a buddy

Im 2.5 miles from trigger action sports.
View Quote

Google says 2.6 to there for me
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Armslist is just the classified ads that used to be in newspapers
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This case should take all of 5 minutes in front of a judge and be dismissed with prejudice.  Is there a process in place that allows the seller to verify whether or not the buyer is a prohibited person?  If yes then this is on the seller.  If not then this is on the dead guy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This sounds to me like a failed jail system. The family should be suing the damn county if they want money. "Ohh you got $10k, you pass go"  fuck domestic abusers.  
View Quote

They set bail, he posted it.
Bail can not be excessive nor punitive and is merely intended to ensure the defendants reappearance in court
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top