Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2020 12:07:01 AM EDT
I have a family member in Healthcare (nurse practitioner) who in all likelihood just has a sinus infection, but regardless had to take a covid test to prove otherwise. Their employer is using a 7 day covid result test and until the results are in from the lab they are being forced to take personal vacation days while being told to stay home. This is happening in Ohio if it matters at all.

As an outsider looking in that doesn't seem ethical in the slightest. Using a testing method that takes an extremely long time to process when there are quicker tests available then making your employees burn through all their personal vacation days? Is that legal?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As an outsider looking in that doesn't seem ethical in the slightest. Using a testing method that takes an extremely long time to process when there are quicker tests available then making your employees burn through all their personal vacation days? Is that legal?
View Quote

Yes.  It's also a good way to guarantee that once the job market improves your employees will flee for greener pastures.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the quicker turnaround tests significantly less accurate?
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the quicker turnaround tests significantly less accurate?
View Quote

According to a friend that works for a medical supply company, they are all just as accurate. Also as a aside fun fact, from my family member that is the practitioner in question, they sent in 2 unused covid tests for testing and the results came back positive for covid... so ya they are some really accurate tests to begin with.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's quite a stretch to claim that the employer chose the longer test just so they could fuck the employees out of their vacation time.

I think you'll have a hard time finding a lawyer to chase that one, although if you look hard enough in the right level of the profession, you may find one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top