Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably horny. Have sex with it and see of he becomes less aggressive.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't do it.  Please

If you want to have racoons, just treat them like an annual plant.

Get one in the sprig, grow him or her up, then release them to the wild.

They are not pets, they will never be pets.

View Quote

This really is the best idea.  My wife fell in love with raising orphaned baby raccoons and keeping until they are ready to be released.  She's raised and released hundreds over the years.  If you're interested PM me and we can hook you up with a licensed rehab'er in your area that you can work under.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This really is the best idea.  My wife fell in love with raising orphaned baby raccoons and keeping until they are ready to be released.  She's raised and released hundreds over the years.  If you're interested PM me and we can hook you up with a licensed rehab'er in your area that you can work under.
View Quote

Thanks!  I will PM.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Coons are wild animals not pets.  They are smart and independent.  Once they hit adulthood they are going to do basically whatever the fuck they want which includes tearing your house to shreds then having no idea why you are upset with them.  

Best of luck, if he really is sick with distemper and you can't get vet care you will have to put him down.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#5]
He just wants a hug.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If he is still intact, he just hit puberty.

Time to start letting him wander outside.

He will come back from time to time, but in a few weeks he will come back and be destructive.
View Quote

FIFY, this is what my friends did. Came back and ripped screen door apart trying to get in.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Everyone I know they had a raccoon from babyhood had problems when they hit puberty
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Everyone I know they had a raccoon from babyhood had problems when they hit puberty
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dumb question, but can u get him tested? And will a vet give him a rabies or distemper shot?

Speed
View Quote

The only test for rabies is to send the head to Austin and have the brain examined.

Other than that raccoons are not my area of expertise. Also, I do not recommend wild animals as pets.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only test for rabies is to send the head to Austin and have the brain examined.

Other than that raccoons are not my area of expertise. Also, I do not recommend wild animals as pets.
View Quote
Wow. I didn't know that

Trying to domesticate feral animals is certainly not something I'm interested in, but...it's (for now) a free-ish country

Speed
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow. I didn't know that

Trying to domesticate feral animals is certainly not something I'm interested in, but...it's (for now) a free-ish country

Speed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. I didn't know that

Speed

In this case it isn’t a free-ish country. It is illegal to keep a raccoon as a pet in Texas. You can get permits for rehab and research.

But no pet raccoons
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can’t imagine how he would have rabies as he’s never been outside or close to any animal that could bite him.  I understand your position and thank you for your post.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife is a vet and has done tons of wildlife rescue work here in TX.
Raccoons "go wild" at adolescence. The best thing to do is to turn him over to a wildlife rescue. There are tons in TX.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Cute as they are, the only good raccoon is a dead one.  You are playing with fire!

ETA: I hope you don't have small kids around.  Raccoons carry a brain eating parasite that small children contract through contact with racoon shit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
My brother in law's neighbor is a vet.  He says give it some beer and coon pussy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In this case it isn't a free-ish country. It is illegal to keep a raccoon as a pet in Texas. You can get permits for rehab and research.

But no pet raccoons
View Quote
Your post makes me think of the Silicon Valley episode where they blackmail their neighbor into keeping his mouth shut because he has illegal ferrets as pets

Speed
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Puberty.  Once raccoons hit puberty, they turn into assholes.  There is a reason they are not domesticated pets.

If you want an exotic pet, skunks and domesticated foxes are a better choice.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is this a serious question, or are you trying to one-up the guy who posted a pic of his hamster's junk to ask if it was a boy or a girl?
View Quote
I was kinda hoping for that.

So far am dissapoint.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#22]
You can take the panda out of the trash, but you can't take the trash out of the panda
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I can't imagine how he would have rabies as he's never been outside or close to any animal that could bite him.  I understand your position and thank you for your post.
View Quote

I didn't say he had rabies, I was just answering a question about testing for rabies. The chance of yours having rabies is infinitesimal.

I see that you are in Texas. As stated above, unless you have a rehabber's permit it's illegal to keep the cutie.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I didn't say he had rabies, I was just answering a question about testing for rabies. The chance of yours having rabies is infinitesimal.

I see that you are in Texas. As stated above, unless you have a rehabber's permit it's illegal to keep the cutie.
View Quote

Yeah, I know.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My brother in law's neighbor is a vet.  He says give it some beer and coon pussy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

coon puberty. I had a baby squirrel I had reared turn bity once his nuts dropped.
View Quote

This, gray squirrel did this.  Flying squirrel didn't and remained as a great pet for me for around 5 years until he died of old age.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#27]
My Dad grew up with a pet Raccoon.  They lived on a Farm so it was domesticated but not a house pet.  I saw a picture of him and he was huge for a coon.

He raised all sorts of hell, and was particularly skilled at drowning other peoples dogs in a slew.  He could open doors and cupboards, would often re-organise the tool box in the shop.  He also would climb into any car with the window down and take a nap on the seat.

They are never going to be a house pet, but they are a very smart animal, and can get familiar with people.

Still my Grandma told me about a few time he snuck into the house, emptied out the entire kitchen while searching for a bag of jelly beans.  There in not much you can keep them out of, they are capable if sticking a key in a lock and turning it...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Years of reading GD have taught me that male trash pandas turn into raging pricks when their nuts drop
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#29]
You ever hear the phrase "Crazier than a pet coon"?

Well, this is pretty much what they meant.  

My sister has done animal rescues, and unfortunately as others have said they become assholes once they hit puberty.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cute as they are, the only good raccoon is a dead one.  You are playing with fire!

ETA: I hope you don't have small kids around.  Raccoons carry a brain eating parasite that small children contract through contact with racoon shit.
View Quote

Oh JFC. So much stupidity around here.

Big bad arfcommer afraid of wacccoons
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My Dad grew up with a pet Raccoon.  They lived on a Farm so it was domesticated but not a house pet.  I saw a picture of him and he was huge for a coon.

He raised all sorts of hell, and was particularly skilled at drowning other peoples dogs in a slew.  He could open doors and cupboards, would often re-organise the tool box in the shop.  He also would climb into any car with the window down and take a nap on the seat.

They are never going to be a house pet, but they are a very smart animal, and can get familiar with people.

Still my Grandma told me about a few time he snuck into the house, emptied out the entire kitchen while searching for a bag of jelly beans.  There in not much you can keep them out of, they are capable if sticking a key in a lock and turning it...
View Quote

Ha, I think maybe it was your Grandma who ate all the jellybeans.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Jesus, I honestly didn't know people keep raccoon's as legit pets.
That said: u sure that fucker ain't rabid?!

Speed
View Quote
Good friend in HS had a Female - "Fred". She was real sweet, plenty personable - but had a bad habit of stealing shit and hiding it. Anything with a sheen, or shiny.

Neighbor had a pet Bobcat. (Yes, a real honest to god bobcat). It was a little scary every now and then, but generally a snuggle bug.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Davy Crockett impersonation.
View Quote

Yeah, that fur is a little much this time of year!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
He just wants a hug.
View Quote

Awesome avatar!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do it.  Please

If you want to have racoons, just treat them like an annual plant.

Get one in the sprig, grow him or her up, then release them to the wild.

They are not pets, they will never be pets.

Where does she release them? I would imagine that domestically raised raccoons are even more dependent on humans than most. I am guessing that most released raccoons become pests that others look to eradicate. It makes you feel good, but you are passing on your good feelings to others as a major problem.

Wild animals in wild settings are great. Wild animals in human settings are not always so good and often are detrimental to both the humans and the animals.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If he is still intact, he just hit puberty.

Time to start letting him wander outside.

He will come back from time to time, but in a few weeks he will be gone for good.
View Quote
This pretty much covers it.  Your lil buddy has grown up, and you no longer have what he wants.  Sorry OP

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I follow raccoon_tornado on IG and they have a pet male raccoon. It's Russia, where they seem to make pets of anything they want, so take that with a grain of salt.

The raccoon, on rare occasions, attacks the guy. However, it seems like it blows over quick.

It never attacks the girl, so maybe the raccoon is fighting the other male for attention?

It looks like a cool pet, but I wouldn't want to share my house with one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Where does she release them? I would imagine that domestically raised raccoons are even more dependent on humans than most. I am guessing that most released raccoons become pests that others look to eradicate. It makes you feel good, but you are passing on your good feelings to others as a major problem.

Wild animals in wild settings are great. Wild animals in human settings are not always so good and often are detrimental to both the humans and the animals.
View Quote

Different places, but typically large rural acreage away from as much civilization as possible.  No way to be sure on the second part, but I can tell you once they are a few months old, they do not get any human interaction but her's and it's very limited.  They are not friendly at all by the time they are released.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Good luck!  I’ve known people that had raccoons to train dogs with. They got a license to do this and kept them outside.  They had to rotate the raccoons out after a period of time. I cannot recall the length of time though but I thought one year was it.  Contact the game warden and he will know.

You were called by a rescue agency I hope what they were doing is legal in your state. The fines can be hefty.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Davy Crockett impersonation.

Yeah, that fur is a little much this time of year!https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139525/076D2F6C-86B0-4B0A-B742-9379229477C7_jpe-1503873.JPG

Any updates?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#42]
You need to find him a nice dumpster to live in.  They like the ones behind a restaurant.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll be the asshole, do the trash panda a favor, .22lr to the head. He's use to people so he's as good as dead if let go. If your State finds you have him your fucked an he's dead.

Become a private Zoo an get paperwork. Then the Vet's will fix whatever you bring to them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I have no advice but just want to know what funny stuff trash pandas do as pets.

They have to be uniquely curious/destructive/funny/unique
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Either way it needs an injection.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#47]
with a reproductive cycle of less than 2 years, and a litter size of two to five kits each time, it wouldn't take too many years to selectively breed a domesticated  trash panda.

You'd be rich!
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#48]
He’s hit puberty, open the door and let him go back to the wild.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#49]
They love the hell out of raccoons in Japan and even import them. If they can domesticate them successfully, I suppose it could be done.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#50]
My mom had a pet racoon when she was little. It turned wild and had to leave. I had one, but it died very young.

Have you considered castrating it? See if you can find a local goat herder to 'band' its testicles like you do to castrate a goat or cow?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top