Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/14/2020 8:25:53 AM EDT
10 month old male raccoon went from being a totally sweet boy Friday to running up my leg and trying to bite me Saturday morning.  I didn’t think much of it, thinking he got spooked seeing me in my uniform.  Since them he’s looking at me like he doesn’t know who I am and licking his lips/tasting the air.  He doesn’t go outside and has had no direct contact with any other animals than my house cats.  I could really use some advice.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Thread title sounds like it would make a hit country song.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the males get a bit cranky as they age.
Had a raccoon when we were kids, awesome pet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thread title sounds like it would make a hit country song.
View Quote

True!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I believe the males get a bit cranky as they age.
Had a raccoon when we were kids, awesome pet.
View Quote

I expected that.  What has me worried is the constant licking his lips and acting as if I’m a stranger all of a sudden.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#5]
My dog licks his lips when he has acid reflux. Maybe that?

I give him some all natural probiotics pumpkin treats to help.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
He's trying to bite your leg, not hump it.  Take him to a vet?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He's trying to bite your leg, not hump it.  Take him to a vet?
View Quote

That’s a problem in Texas.??
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Where did you get him?  I've always wanted a raccoon as a pet. Is this your first one?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Years of reading GD have taught me that male trash pandas turn into raging pricks when their nuts drop
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#12]
My guess is a wild animal doing wild animal shit.  

Just a guess though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where did you get him?  I've always wanted a raccoon as a pet. Is this your first one?
View Quote

Parks Department cut down a tree and a litter was in it.  Mom didn’t come back for then so a call went out to foster them.  Raised him up from when he was less than a month old.  Yes, first one.  I’ve really enjoyed him.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this a serious question, or are you trying to one-up the guy who posted a pic of his hamster's junk to ask if it was a boy or a girl?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Years of reading GD have taught me that male trash pandas turn into raging pricks when their nuts drop
View Quote

I’m really hoping someone with that experience comes in the thread.  The change was drastic.  I’m afraid he’s got distemper or parvovirus.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this a serious question, or are you trying to one-up the guy who posted a pic of his hamster's junk to ask if it was a boy or a girl?
View Quote

I’m serious and frankly almost emotional at the prospect of having to put him down.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm really hoping someone with that experience comes in the thread.  The change was drastic.  I'm afraid he's got distemper or parvovirus.
View Quote
Jesus, I honestly didn't know people keep raccoon's as legit pets.
That said: u sure that fucker ain't rabid?!

Speed
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Rabies finally kicking in.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I expected that.  What has me worried is the constant licking his lips and acting as if I’m a stranger all of a sudden.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Maybe he’s hoping you turn into a female
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Jesus, I honestly didn't know people keep raccoon's as legit pets.
That said: u sure that fucker ain't rabid?!

Speed
View Quote

I can’t imagine how he would have been bit by a rabid animal.  He stays inside.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I never know you could raise a racoon as a house pet long term.

Every story I've heard of has went something like this...  He/She was always great till........  At some point they all seem to turn wild and aggressive.

I wish you and the Raccoon best of luck.  I really like animals and hate to see them come into harm.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#22]
If he is still intact, he just hit puberty.

Time to start letting him wander outside.

He will come back from time to time, but in a few weeks he will be gone for good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife is a licensed wildlife rehab'er who specializes in raccoons.  I've emailed her a link to this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I never know you could raise a racoon as a house pet long term.

Every story I've heard of has went something like this...  He/She was always great till........  At some point they all seem to turn wild and aggressive.

I wish you and the Raccoon best of luck.  I really like animals and hate to see them come into harm.
View Quote

You can't legally.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can't imagine how he would have been bit by a rabid animal.  He stays inside.
View Quote
Dumb question, but can u get him tested? And will a vet give him a rabies or distemper shot?

Speed
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Considering how many species of animals there are, very few have been domesticated. Raccoons may become “tame”. Wildlife should stay in the wild and not become pets. Raccoons are wildlife and should not be treated as pets. In addition to several diseases and parasites, they can carry a nasty roundworm.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Distemper's early sign is the coon looking up at you and planting his back legs, then backing his front legs to touch the back ones.

The tail usually twitches as well.

If they are alone and you observe it, the coon will usually be rocking forward and backward.

Once you approach they do the backup thing.

Makes it easier to put a bullet into their skull and body in that position.

I have raised and released dozens of coon, my sister is probably in the hundreds.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Former owner here.

Adolescent raccoons go from fun playful buddies to raging pricks pretty quick.
They can be a handful after that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My wife is a licensed wildlife rehab'er who specializes in raccoons.  I've emailed her a link to this.
View Quote

Thank you!!  I REALLY appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dumb question, but can u get him tested? And will a vet give him a rabies or distemper shot?

Speed
View Quote

Not a vet in Texas and me without proper paper work.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Distemper's early sign is the coon looking up at you and planting his back legs, then backing his front legs to touch the back ones.

The tail usually twitches as well.

If they are alone and you observe it, the coon will usually be rocking forward and backward.

Once you approach they do the backup thing.

Makes it easier to put a bullet into their skull and body in that position.

I have raised and released dozens of coon, my sister is probably in the hundreds.
View Quote

Thanks for the post.  I’ve not observed that behavior.  He walks up to me, gets on his hind legs and smells me as it he’s trying to figure out if he knows me.  If I touch him he tenses up and gets in “attack mode”.  The licking his chops constantly is new as well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Speed
View Quote

I thought you test for rabies by cutting their head off and sending it to a lab.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#33]
How long have you had him and has he had any eye and/or nasal discharge in the last couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Have him neutered, that will fix the aggressive behavior somewhat. The rest will be just what kind of disposition he individually has. Some are good, others not so good.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#35]
My mom had one for a while. You can't really keep em as pets once they reach sexual maturity.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I dated a woman with a pet raccoon once.  It hated me and was a giant asshole at every opportunity.  

Also, if you think horse women are bad wait until you've gone full raccoon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#37]
A friend of my dads had a male raccoon for a couple of years. It was always friendly and playful but would still scratch you up pretty bad when he decided he wanted up on your shoulder or head and climbed you like a tree. I was pretty young and thought it was the coolest thing ever. After it got so big, he stayed outside most of the time, but pretty much stayed around his place.

Went with my dad to see his friend and I could play with the raccoon. Got there and the raccoon didn't come out like usual. My dads friend came out to talk and I waited a while then asked where the raccoon was. He said he had to get rid of him. He had gotten up to about thirty pounds and one morning as he went to get in his truck to go to work, the raccoon dropped out of a tree on top of his head. He was playing but about broke his neck. That was apparently the last straw in a long line of straws and Rocky had to go. He didn't say what he did with him, but knowing that old man, he caught a .22 or better.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

i thought the "can i take the heads of roadkill animals?" thread was the pinnacle...

GD never disappoints.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Gf had a raccoon in college.  Was fun for a bit and then yeah.  Total asshole.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How long have you had him and has he had any eye and/or nasal discharge in the last couple of weeks.
View Quote

I’ve had him since he was about 3 weeks old.  I’ve not noticed any kind of eye or nasal discharge and I spend several hours a day with him in the morning and evening.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Have him neutered, that will fix the aggressive behavior somewhat. The rest will be just what kind of disposition he individually has. Some are good, others not so good.
View Quote

I would love to get him neutered but have not been able to find a place to do it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#43]
my coyote I had as a pet got like that after about a year.   she never got mean but she got moody.  eventually nature took over and she went into the mountains and never came back.

just wild animals being wild animals.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not a vet in Texas and me without proper paper work.
View Quote
Sounds like u need to paint that guy like a main coon and act stupid

Really, of all the forest critters, raccoons are the most comical and mischievous.

Best of luck man.

Speed
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I would love to get him neutered but have not been able to find a place to do it.
View Quote

i was lucky with my coyote.  one of the local vets was a good friend and neighbor. he fixed her and gave her shots and  we kept it quiet

Doc died  in 2018 when a blood vessel in his brain burst
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

i was lucky with my coyote.  one of the local vets was a good friend and neighbor. he fixed her and gave her shots and  we kept it quiet

Doc died  in 2018 when a blood vessel in his brain burst
View Quote

Bummer
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sounds like u need to paint that guy like a main coon and act stupid

Really, of all the forest critters, raccoons are the most comical and mischievous.

Best of luck man.

Speed
View Quote

I agree.  I’ve grown really fond of him.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't do it.  Please

If you want to have racoons, just treat them like an annual plant.

Get one in the sprig, grow him or her up, then release them to the wild.

They are not pets, they will never be pets.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Have we seriously gone this far without a pic request?

C'mon OP, let's see him.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Have we seriously gone this far without a pic request?

C'mon OP, let's see him.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top