Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2021 11:24:07 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me if I’m setting this integral up correctly?  I am trying to determine the area of the shaded part of this circle using integration.  I put my integral into an online solver but I’m not 100% if I have set up the integral right.  Any math genius’s out there that can comment?  

I’m trying to avoid doing this one with respect to y because the solution has some pretty complex trig functions and I would like to solve for h and that’s tough to do when it’s buried under inverse trig functions.  

Any comments or help is appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Set up the equation for the infinitesimal area dx mulitiplied by its non constant height; I'll call that k(x).  dA= k(x)dx

First work out the problem with h=0, then extend that solution to h>0.

The other problem in your solution is switching from a solution for y, to suddenly substituting x.

Integration is nothing more than summing.   A bunch of infinitesimal rectangles in this case.

h(x) is not a continuous equation due to the curvature at the ends of the constant height part.  The limits of integration of the upper segment are not -r to +r.  

That is not a more simple method.  Integrate on dy from h to r.  Calculate the width of dy from the equation for a circle at y = h.

View Quote

Thank you for your input.

You are correct solving using a horizontal rectangle with thickness dy is an easier process.  the result it churns up is just a little nasty, as I want to isolate h and its stuck under a bunch of inverse trig functions.  I ended up putting that equation in excel and using the "goal seek" function to solve for h.  it works

Any idea how to isolate D in this equation, can a solver like MatLab do this?

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at your limits of integration.  Does the line y=h intersect the semicircle when x = r or x = -r?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top