Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 11:05:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
This is why America is obese

Thanks boomers
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It was a rare and special treat when we got to break out the folding metal TV trays out and eat dinner in the living room while watching TV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was a rare and special treat when we got to break out the folding metal TV trays out and eat dinner in the living room while watching TV.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Mom would make those on Friday evenings to eat while The Dukes of Hazzard was on.  Those scalloped apples were slightly cooler than molten lava when they came out of the oven.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the enchiladas and the teriyaki too ...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The history of the name is interesting, and has to do with the time they were marketed.  While TV is commmonplace now, Swanson's marketers saw a TV in a household as a status symbol.

I'll admit to having eaten some of those across the decades, including this one.  Marie Calendar makes some tasty ones.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I ate TV dinners in the 70s & early 80s... I kinda liked them. Salisbury steak, mashed potato, mixed veg & a little apple dessert thingy...  Tried feeding them to my kids a few years ago, I still get my balls broken about it. Little assholes have it too good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The history of the name is interesting, and has to do with the time they were marketed.  While TV is commmonplace now, Swanson's marketers saw a TV in a household as a status symbol.

I'll admit to having eaten some of those across the decades, including this one.  Marie Calendar makes some tasty ones.
View Quote

Interesting story on why they were developed.

According to the most widely accepted account, a Swanson salesman named Gerry Thomas conceived the company’s frozen dinners in late 1953 when he saw that the company had 260 tons of frozen turkey left over after Thanksgiving, sitting in ten refrigerated railroad cars. (The train’s refrigeration worked only when the cars were moving, so Swanson had the trains travel back and forth between its Nebraska headquarters and the East Coast “until panicked executives could figure out what to do,” according to Adweek.) Thomas had the idea to add other holiday staples such as cornbread stuffing and sweet potatoes, and to serve them alongside the bird in frozen, partitioned aluminum trays designed to be heated in the oven. Betty Cronin, Swanson’s bacteriologist, helped the meals succeed with her research into how to heat the meat and vegetables at the same time while killing food-borne germs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuckin' yum!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is why America is obese

Thanks boomers
View Quote

You blame the spoon too? LMAO

Signed...A Boomer

Pretty much sums up the whole anti Boomer thing.  We're not responsible for ourselves so it's all your fault.  

Hey, are you all democrats?

HAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I even like the chicken if the sauce is not too blue.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Mexican style TV dinner is best TV dinner
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#15]
What are they called if they aren't a TV dinner anymore?

I haven't eaten one since the 90s.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The TV dinner must be eaten on a TV dinner tray.  The folding type
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I understand that reference....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The TV dinner must be eaten on a TV dinner tray.  The folding type
View Quote

Preferably white with a brown floral pattern. Like the two I'm pretty sure we still have in the breezeway closet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Salisbury Steak
Saltillo Dinner
Mexican style dinner

Frozen chicken pot pies

Sometimes on the weekend mom would buy a tray of mini tacos to eat while we played 42.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't even have a TV and I still eat them and call them TV dinners. I like the Hungry Man boneless chicken the most.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember back in the mid 80's as a young guy on his first real job, I was on the other end of the state from all my family and relatives working through thanksgiving. I went to the store and bought a Swanson's hungry man of turkey, mash potatoes, and gravy.

The next year, I just got Turkey dogs, some buns, and mustard, along with baked beans.  Some old couple were standing behind me in the line at Safeway complaining of what I was eating.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I subscribe to a YouTube channel that reviews TV Dinners:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Featureman/videos
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top