Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 6:33:52 PM EDT

Hello there!

I’m interested in joining the Air Force at 37yrs young.

I’d like to be a door gunner as it’s always been a dream job.

I haven’t spoken to a recruiter yet, but I have a few questions if anyone doesn’t mind answering id really appreciate it!

Alex
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Critically manned career field right now.

I do believe you need 20/20 vision though. Or correctable. No color blindness, and have good depth perception.  

Also be in pretty good shape.

Be prepared to be told what to do by someone 15 years younger than you too.

Go talk to the recruiter if you meet those requirements.

Most anyone else will tell you about the same thing.

good luck!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Critically manned career field right now.

I do believe you need 20/20 vision though. Or correctable. No color blindness, and have good depth perception.  

Also be in pretty good shape.

Be prepared to be told what to do by someone 15 years younger than you too.

Go talk to the recruiter if you meet those requirements.

Most anyone else will tell you about the same thing.

good luck!
View Quote

What he said, also have your cholesterol checked. That gets some on the flight physical
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gents.

Meh some being younger than me and giving me orders doesn’t bother me, that’s small stuff.

I’ll try to keep my ego in check

I might have high cholesterol. I also have high blood pressure but I take medication for it.

Actually what’s been keeping it under control is meditation. That helps more than the pills at keeping it down!  

I also have a bad back from falling through the floor at a structure fire when I was looking for a kid who set his house on

Fire.  It’s not really an issue but sometimes if I stand around and not move it can hurt.

This worries me as when I was in the Marines we’d stand around at parade rest for 3-4hrs.

I assume that AF boot camp is the same way?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You're sounding less and less like you'll get in.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Air Force is very picky. Don't think you'll get in based on your age alone... Army on the other hand will take anyone with a pulse usually
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
   That’s a bummer.

I’m still going to talk with a recruiter but just wanted to speak with you guys since this site is a gold mine of information

from good people. I’d like to join and even though I may not get the job I want, if they need a shit shoveler,

I’ll be the best shit shoveler they got.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Air Force is very picky. Don't think you'll get in based on your age alone... Army on the other hand will take anyone with a pulse usually
View Quote

I believe the cutoff age is 39 for the AF. I didn’t consider the Army, for some reason I wanna say I’m past their age requirements.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, I'm at work on Nellis right now.

The recruiter may try to push you for a flight line job too.

RUN LIKE HELL!!

Im just kidding, but hold out for what you want or threaten to walk away. They don't like the prospect of you will join, but only for one job, and you'll walk away if you don't.

If you really want to shine them on, tell him you're ready to go to meps and you'll sign up if he gets you that job. He will work harder because it's about numbers. If you maintain a cool attitude and make them work for you, you'll get it.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top