Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2022 1:11:35 PM EDT
Reports are that we're heading towards $6-8 gasoline. I think it'll go north of $10, but whatever. Not the point of this thread.

Could the people controlling Biden think that high gas prices and the resulting economic shock actually slow the economy enough to reverse the inflation?

Are they delusional enough to think it could help them in the midterms?

Are they just trying to keep the wheels on the bus?

Do they think this will usher in Schwab's "Great Reset?

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
High gas prices CREATE inflation. It drives the costs of virtually everything else up.

A good economy in this country DEMANDS inexpensive energy.

ETA Remember hearing amateurs study tactics and professionals study logistics?
Same holds here. A head of lettuce in California doesn't do anyone any good in Georgia.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
High gas prices CREATE inflation. It drives the costs of virtually everything else up.

Same holds here. A head of lettuce in California doesn't do anyone any good in Georgia.
View Quote
This.  The two thing causing the most inflation are high energy prices and money printing.  Stop both.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
High gas prices cause inflation. I don't think anyone is in power is dumb enough to think otherwise but who knows
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right, I understand. Perhaps I didn't bring my thought to the conclusion...If energy gets so expensive that people stop using it, that'll bring the economy, and inflation to a rapid halt. So perhaps the real question is, are they TRYING to crash the US economy and what does the aftermath of that look like?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Right, I understand. Perhaps I didn't bring my thought to the conclusion...If energy gets so expensive that people stop using it, that'll bring the economy, and inflation to a rapid halt. So perhaps the real question is, are they TRYING to crash the US economy and what does the aftermath of that look like?
View Quote
Bringing the economy to a halt will not help inflation, it'll just impoverish and starve people to death.  Why do you think the great depression lasted so long?  It was because the government kept intentionally doing shit that hurt the economy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If the Biden administration were committed to controlling inflation then it would have restarted student loan payments.  That sucks cash out of the hands of consumers, leaving them with less discretionary income and less money to chase dwindling goods.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bringing the economy to a halt will not help inflation, it'll just impoverish and starve people to death.  Why do you think the great depression lasted so long?  It was because the government kept intentionally doing shit that hurt the economy.
View Quote

I agree, but that assumes the government is acting rationally.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
That’s not how inflation works.

High gas prices don’t unprint bills.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
It is inflation, it causes inflation and it slows inflation, all at the same time.

Taxes are actually one of the better ways to control inflation.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
"High gas prices to control inflation."

You cannot possibly be serious. Please say you're trolling.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
No; just part of the plan.

Trump’s time in office was a pause to allow people to prepare for what coming.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are acting rationally and know exactly what they are doing.  Your problem is that you assume they care about you.  As soon as you realize that the people in power are acting in their own interests at your experience it becomes rational.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are very rationally acting towards their stated goals, but so many people (not calling you out) can’t bring themselves to accept that FBHO meant what he said by “radical transformation”.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
High gas prices IS inflation.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"High gas prices to control inflation."

You cannot possibly be serious. Please say you're trolling.
View Quote
Seems he's just asking a question.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just a little while ago, I was getting some gas ($114.42 to fill up my tank). And I had this thought:

"I wonder if those morons are trying to raise the price of gas/fuel so high as to FORCE people to buy into the whole electric vehicle thing.....? Like are they deliberately trying to sabotage the economy for the sheer sake of "going green" just so they can get what they want; people's livelihoods and bank accounts be damned? If so, I hope they're ready for what can happen when you piss off a great majority of the people who already hate you."
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
High energy costs are never a solution unless your goal is destruction.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
IMHO, “they” are driving the price up, to justify their “green” push in the infrastructure bill and the BBB bill.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#19]
OP is Biden's economic advisor.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of…

Inflation is not just about the monetary supply, but it’s also about monetary velocity. What makes both a bit tricky is that the dollar is the worlds reserve currency - so we’re not talking about both in terms of just within the US.

High prices can slow velocity in some segments. But in areas such as consumables, it may actually act in the reverse - I’ll buy toilet paper today at this price because next week it may be a dollar more.

What high prices do to slow inflation is really it’s effect in terms of unemployment. High prices erode business margins (at least initially), which culls unprofitable/unsustainable companies. Unemployment increases, resulting in decreased discretionary spending and slowing velocity.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP is Biden's economic advisor.  
View Quote

Yes I am, you caught me.

All of you serfs just need to get in line with our agenda or we'll make things REALLY hurt!

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s happening now is not intentional.  Unless you believe in Q-like conspiracy theories.

What is happening with inflation is a byproduct of that was fine during COVID.  Both in the US snd internationally.  

While our inflation is definitely rising, we may go into a recession as well.  Inflation + recession = stagflation, which is real bad.

We’ll have high interest rates, high e ergo costs, prices increases across the board,  simultaneously with the economy contracting, stocks falling and probably businesses failing.

It’s going to be fun times for years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Hi gas prices or a result of inflation, along with supply, demand, And probably some of the reasons.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

FPNI.

Everything has to be transported in this country.  Every percent that cost goes up, starts a chain reaction at every level.

Transportation costs for raw materials,  then costs for refining/smelting/milling to stock that gets transported to a factory, which then get transported to a warehouse, then to a distributor, then to a retailer,  then delivered.

So most things get transported 3-6 times before it hits a store.  Something complex with manufacturing moves across oceans in diesel powered ships a few times, and also around the port, both countries…

Something as simple as your wife’s vibrator may travel 30,000 miles before it hits her hot box.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will slow economic activity, demand goes down, costs go higher.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd guess the demand will drop pretty sharply at some point and the price will stabilize on fuel and other goods. Groceries haven't stopped climbing either. Their attempts to control prices will lead to shortages and rationing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#27]
The cost of most items increasing and standard of living decreasing, due to higher energy costs/shortages, is not strictly speaking inflation. Different goods and economic areas are affected by energy differently. For example, if energy costs rise but there is no inflation, you might expect land values to remain stable. Service industry costs might rise less than manufactured goods. The end effects may be similar. But when energy prices go back down the effects are reversed.

Inflation generally affects all sectors of the economy and is never reversed, unless the monetary supply is shrunk back down. This will probably -never- happen again, as it would be a monumental shift in wealth from the megabanks and government back to the public sector, and they have no reason to voluntarily do that. See the 2008 banking crisis - the huge destruction of debt should have resulted in deflation, but the government printed tremendous amounts of money to offset the destruction of money from bad loans.

You can have a stable growing economy with moderate inflation. But having high energy prices AND inflation results in stagflation - lowering jobs and wages, AND rising prices. That's really bad.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#28]
What would cause the price of oil to jump so high that gas would be $8 a gallon? People just come up with idiotic, high numbers pulled out their ass for no reason.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#29]
The Democratic policy is to force people to stop emitting carbon dioxide in order to reduce global warming.
They simply don't care that this is generating high gas prices that generate inflation; they are "saving us from ourselves".
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is inflation, it causes inflation and it slows inflation, all at the same time.

View Quote

Higher interest rates are also a de facto tax increase.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Essentially, the problem is that they apply to new economic activity more so than incumbent economic activity, so proportionate you their effect on inflation they do more to slow the economy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What’s happening now is not intentional.  Unless you believe in Q-like conspiracy theories.

What is happening with inflation is a byproduct of that was fine during COVID.  Both in the US snd internationally.  

While our inflation is definitely rising, we may go into a recession as well.  Inflation + recession = stagflation, which is real bad.

We’ll have high interest rates, high e ergo costs, prices increases across the board,  simultaneously with the economy contracting, stocks falling and probably businesses failing.

View Quote

It is intentional.  We went from cheap gas and oil exporter under Trump.
Cancel Keystone pipeline.  Cancel oil leases on public land.  Those acts were intentional.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I get what your saying, high gas prices reduce money supply just like interest rates.  If even more broad based and immediate.

Taxes would do the same if government didn't immediately spend it.  In fact taxes are a key lever in "modern monetary policy" specifically for the ability to target them very narrowly.

So...I see where your head is at...but historically high energy prices lead to stagflation.  They kill demand.  That's not how we want this to play out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyway the point I was trying to make is that a slowing economy does not stop inflation. In fact the opposite is true. Keeping government spending the same while the economy collapses is the main cause of inflation. The pandemic lockdowns were the exact example of this. Shut down half the economy, but maintain or increase government spending, results in inflation.

The only way to stop inflation is to either
a) reduce government spending (good luck)
b) have a strong economy that grows faster than government spending (this is what USA has relied on since WW2)
c) deflation (destruction of debt -> great depression). Very bad for debt holders, including homeowners, and businesses of all sizes. Good for retirement savings, looong term investing, and people with no assets.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Gas prices don't cause inflation.  The do cause high prices for everything.  Inflation is the devaluing of currency by increasing the supply.

The only thing that reduces inflation is government creating less money from thin air.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, inflation is caused by too much money going after fewer goods.  Goods prices rise until roughly supply meets demand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#38]
It will bring about the collapse of our economy which will make people beg for a solution and then they usher in the Great Reset/digital dollar and control everyone’s finances.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Reports are that we're heading towards $6-8 gasoline. I think it'll go north of $10, but whatever. Not the point of this thread.

Could the people controlling Biden think that high gas prices and the resulting economic shock actually slow the economy enough to reverse the inflation?

Are they delusional enough to think it could help them in the midterms?

Are they just trying to keep the wheels on the bus?

Do they think this will usher in Schwab's "Great Reset?

View Quote

The Biden admin said negative GDP in Q1 was because of strong growth.

You can safely disregard anything they have to say going forward.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#41]
diesel fuel at the pump  IN RUSSIA  is about
$3.10  a gallon today
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Cancel Keystone pipeline.  Cancel oil leases on public land.  Those acts were intentional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely intentional... The only thing debatable is 'motive' imo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh, why the fuck would they want to control inflation?

They've worked for a couple of generations to cause this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Gas prices go up. Product delivery costs more. People spend more on gas and then can't go out to eat as much or buy more stuff.    

Kind of the ball going down the hill. It crushes everything in it's path
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m going to make a suggestion to the powers that be:
Open the pipeline
Allow off shore drilling
Allow fracking
Cut gasoline taxes
Cut corporate taxes
Stop the freebie crap
Elect a President that has actually been in the real world.
Term limits
Balanced budget amendment

I’m afraid this is going to make a sequel to the 1930’s.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Lol, the leftists just voted in favor of price controls for fuel. Things are about to get a lot worse.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tru-Dat

Idiots have no clue when they say $10/gal gas is a good thing.

Airlines have jacked up prices through the roof.

I offered my boss to drive to chicago from Murderapolis for work/meeting and pocket 1/2 the difference in savings. "If there was a way to move money, I would approve it"

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Who is trying to stop using energy?

We're a long way from austerity measures, even if gas still goes up.

Take a drive around a mid-size town at night.  How many businesses have their lights on?  Does it look like anyone is trying to conserve power?  All those lights on at night when most people are home could be turned off and the electricity could go to charging your EV.

In all this talk, I haven't heard anything mentioned about keeping the lights on all damn night!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lol, the leftists just voted in favor of price controls for fuel. Things are about to get a lot worse.
View Quote

The stupid is strong with them.

Get ready for gas lines again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#50]
The only way high gas prices would control inflation is if prices get so high people start starving to death, and the population reduction slows the economy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top