Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2021 5:24:06 PM EDT
I have decided that I need a new watch even though my trusty Timex Expedition is functioning flawlessly.  I started looking for a diver in the under $500 range and found several Seikos in the Prospex line that I thought would be suitable, particularly the "Save the Ocean" turtle SPRD21.  Obviously, this is a genuine dive watch that has a fashion look but also, given my eyesight, is fairly easy to read (not the day/date which is worthless to me).  But then I read that Seiko's standard for accuracy is up to 45 seconds per day and wonder if automatic watches are a hassle.  So, do you find the adjusting of automatics a hassle or no big deal?  It would be easy if the best looking watches were available in their solar movement but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
To answer the question, yes I find them to be a minor hassle, but the fussiness is part of the experience. YMMV. If you really need second-type accuracy over days or weeks, a quartz/solar-quartz watch is the way to go. Autos fall in a spectrum of good-enough to “almost quartz” as far as accuracy. Most of mine are +/- 30 seconds per day, which is sufficient for my needs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the Seiko autos will run much better than the maximum deviations... the majority of mine run +10 sec/day or better.

I find I either rotate my watch out for another before it becomes a hassle, or if I'm on an extended kick with a single watch... I correct the time about once a week.

Even quartz will show beat error over time. My 300M quartz Tuna runs about 3 seconds fast / month... so over time it gets pretty far off of the atomic clock. I have to correct it occasionally to settle the OCD down.
My solar tuna-lite also shows beat error... it's running about +8 seconds / month.
Only watch I have that is 'dead on' all the time is my apple watch... and it's a soulless hunk of tech.  It brings no joy, but it does offer utility for heart rate / gps / etc.

The allure of the mechanical movement more than makes up for the beat error issue to me.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To answer the question, yes I find them to be a minor hassle, but the fussiness is part of the experience. YMMV. If you really need second-type accuracy over days or weeks, a quartz/solar-quartz watch is the way to go. Autos fall in a spectrum of good-enough to "almost quartz" as far as accuracy. Most of mine are +/- 30 seconds per day, which is sufficient for my needs.
View Quote
That's 15minutes a month! I would not accept that. The newest one I bought was similar. I took it and paid $20 to have it regulated. It's now -3 seconds a day. That <2 minutes off a month or about 5 minutes off every other month when I change the date and correct the time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
OP - It’s a bit of a labor of love. A few seconds +/- a day is no big deal to me. A good auto might need a once a month time hack.  I gain far more enjoyment from wearing an auto. Kind of like loving a car with a standard transmission or carrying a nice 1911.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's 15minutes a month! I would not accept that. The newest one I bought was similar. I took it and paid $20 to have it regulated. It's now -3 seconds a day. That <2 minutes off a month or about 5 minutes off every other month when I change the date and correct the time.
View Quote

There's no difference for me between +/- 5 sec or 30 sec since I rarely wear the same watch more than two days in a row. After that they're in the case and their long-term accuracy doesn't matter. For real short term accuracy 5 sec or 30 sec/day doesn't matter since they're both wrong anyway. For SHTF I'll be wearing a solar Casio.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
For me, I'm not impressed with the concept of automatics that may be several minutes off each week to 10 days.  I had to replace the movements in a couple of my Seiko SKXs to get to where they kept excellent time.  Personally, I'd rather have a quartz diver and spend $10 for a tool to remove the caseback so I can replace the battery myself.

If you're looking for a quartz diver, look into the Diver One quartz line from Scurfa Watches.  I have one, I absolutely love it.  I think mine was $280?  They sell a metal bracelet for it too.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like people have different experiences.  10 seconds per day isn't too bad but 30 (or more) sounds like it would be a hassle.  Of course, I'm not sure how I would use the watch.  If I was using it only on weekends, winding and setting it before using it wouldn't be too much effort regardless of how much time it lost.  As a daily watch, resetting every week could get old.  Maybe I need a nice quartz and a nice automatic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two automatics, I keep thwm in a $45 winder when not using
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I was an automatic aficionado for a long time.  Now all of my autos are gathering dust. I now much prefer the accuracy of a battery-free Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive. Rugged, inexpensive, maintenance-free...and looks awesome doing it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Having an automatic is sort of like having a pet.  You have to be aware of how it is doing and feed it  if it is hungry (i.e. running down) or take it to the vet (watchmaker) if it is feeling ill.

I have an automatic, a Sinn U2 and a solar G-shock.

The Sinn puts a smile on my face every day.  I hardly ever wear the G-shock -- it doesn't have the personality or soul that the Sinn does.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was an automatic aficionado for a long time.  Now all of my autos are gathering dust. I now much prefer the accuracy of a battery-free Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive. Rugged, inexpensive, maintenance-free...and looks awesome doing it. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/153820/20210303_204800-1850371.jpg
View Quote

Same here. Had more than a few autos over the years and got tired of the weekly adjusting.
Joined the Eco-Drive master race when Amazon had a Black Friday deal a couple years ago and never looked back.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same here. Had more than a few autos over the years and got tired of the weekly adjusting.
Joined the Eco-Drive master race when Amazon had a Black Friday deal a couple years ago and never looked back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was an automatic aficionado for a long time.  Now all of my autos are gathering dust. I now much prefer the accuracy of a battery-free Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive. Rugged, inexpensive, maintenance-free...and looks awesome doing it. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/153820/20210303_204800-1850371.jpg

I also have one, great watch.  Splits time (har har)  with my quartz Tag.  the auto Omega, which was my daily for over 10 years, only comes out for dress up these days.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought mine Oct 2019 when Amazon had a limited number of the BN0150-28E Promasters on special for $105.99. I recall a rumor that Amazon once had them on sale for something crazy like $88...but can't confirm.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#14]
If I only had/wore a single watch, it might be a bigger deal, but since I rotate through a couple, and set them more frequently, its a non-issue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:45:12 AM EDT
[#15]
It's not really a hassle, they just require a little attention, which is part of the experience.

I'm unlikely to ever wear a quartz again. I love my autos.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#16]
So I bought the Seiko and it seems to be within a few seconds per day.  The problem is that I can't set the day of the week!  I'll do a separate thread on that problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 6 automatics, and rotate them. So I set the time/date as necessary. Doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Not a problem at all in my experience. Just adjust as needed when it gets a few minutes off.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:08:29 PM EDT
[#19]
OP I own more than several autos.  It's a much different relationship than with a quartz watch.  

In short, you will be welcomed to a more relative, and relaxed, relationship with time.  It's a little motor on your wrist ticking away at its own beat to keep accurate time.

Whether it's a Seiko (my SKX007 keeps great time if worn regularly), or a COSC certified Omega, Breitling, Rolex, etc., they all have excellent time keeping qualities.  While my better autos will never equal the day to day accuracy of a well functioning quartz watch, many of them come really damn close.  Do the math on +/- 1, or 2 seconds per day, you're still well over 99% accuracy.

In truth, I rarely set my autos to the second, only to the minute. As I said, it's a more relaxed relationship.  It's fun to know that your watch is accurate to the second, but is it necessary? Only in a couple of jobs I can think of.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP I own more than several autos.  It's a much different relationship than with a quartz watch.  

In short, you will be welcomed to a more relative, and relaxed, relationship with time.  It's a little motor on your wrist ticking away at its own beat to keep accurate time.

Whether it's a Seiko (my SKX007 keeps great time if worn regularly), or a COSC certified Omega, Breitling, Rolex, etc., they all have excellent time keeping qualities.  While my better autos will never equal the day to day accuracy of a well functioning quartz watch, many of them come really damn close.  Do the math on +/- 1, or 2 seconds per day, you're still well over 99% accuracy.

In truth, I rarely set my autos to the second, only to the minute. As I said, it's a more relaxed relationship.  It's fun to know that your watch is accurate to the second, but is it necessary? Only in a couple of jobs I can think of.

View Quote
+/- 1 or 2 seconds per day would be an astonishing feat for any automatic watch movement.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
+/- 1 or 2 seconds per day would be an astonishing feat for any automatic watch movement.
View Quote

I have an Omega Seamaster and a Breitling Super Ocean that do it. And, and a couple of formerly owned Rolexes that did it.

Regulation of a good COSC certified watch isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Never had a real quality auto so they were always losing or gaining time
I'm in the Citizen eco drive club. Their pro master line are a quality watch
for a great price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#23]
My biggest issue is having to reset the day/date evert time i change watches.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#24]
set the time once a month, problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have an Omega Seamaster and a Breitling Super Ocean that do it. And, and a couple of formerly owned Rolexes that did it.

Regulation of a good COSC certified watch isn't that hard.
View Quote

My findings too. Omega Snowflake was a little more accurate than my best Sub.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

How does that solve the problem?

Set the watch in a drawer for a few days and the watch stops. When you decide to wear it again, you have to reset the day/date
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Set the watch in a drawer for a few days and the watch stops. When you decide to wear it again, you have to reset the day/date
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.buywatchwinders.com
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#28]

The day i buy a device to wind my watches is the day i admit i have a watch problem.

Btw, i’m ok rotating out watches every few weeks. I was just questioning how setting the date once a month solves anything
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is what I do, it bugged me at first when I changed from quartz/digital but in the greater scheme of things it is a minor hassle.

I don't swap out watches unless it is a particularly special occasion though.  I pretty much wear my Seiko 24-7 365.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Not at all. My only Seiko is a prospex samurai Pepsi and it gains +4 seconds a day when worn which is really good. I just reset it once a week or so because I’m anal. If I take it off overnight (rarely ever take my watch off to sleep) it will gain like 8 seconds overnight so it definitely prefers some movement. Still doesn’t bother me though.

My Breitling Superocean 46 on the other hand gains exactly 11 seconds a month and doesn’t care if it comes off the wrist overnight, how much movement I’m doing, or anything. That watch is simply amazing, but you can buy 10x Seiko Prospex Samurais or Turtles for what it cost. I wouldn’t trade it for 50 Seiko’s though, well unless they were grand Seiko’s or Lux’s in which case I’d sell them all and buy more Breitlings.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I bought mine Oct 2019 when Amazon had a limited number of the BN0150-28E Promasters on special for $105.99. I recall a rumor that Amazon once had them on sale for something crazy like $88...but can't confirm.
View Quote

Yup, they were $88 for a day. I even posted it here in the deals thread.  Still kick myself for not snagging a few at that price.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yup, they were $88 for a day. I even posted it here in the deals thread.  Still kick myself for not snagging a few at that price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's it! It was that post of yours that turned me on to the Promaster. Even at $106, it was a hell of deal and money well spent. It's been my EDW ever since.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I ended up returning the watch (see my other thread) but I bought a replacement.  The replacement watch, so far, is about 30 seconds per day off.  I haven't worn it since I want to be able to return it if it doesn't work out.  30 seconds per day means I would need to reset it weekly although that doesn't seem too bad.  I'll monitor it for a few days before deciding but it's a good looking watch and I think I can live with resetting it weekly.  As I mentioned previously, perhaps I will also get a quartz watch (Citizen Promaster Diver).
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
My Tudors run this.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Unless you go the chronometer route, it’s just hit or miss. My Seiko SPB143 runs -2.5 a day, which is incredible for an unregulated 6R35 movement. My Speedy is +5 a day, also lucked out. A couple of my Seikos are anywhere from -10 to +12. Seamaster and C Ward chronometer are both within a second per day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My Tudors run this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Tudors run this.

My Rolex Sub, Tudor Pelagos and Tag Heuer Aquaracer chronograph all run within that spec; -1 Sec. a day for the Sub & Tag and -2 Sec. a day for the Tudor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Sometimes you get lucky. My Silver Watch Co. 5517 homage with Miyota 9015 astounds me. I grab it every few months and wear it for a couple of days and it seems to consistently gain about a second per day. I set it Sunday a.m., and when I took it off and checked last night it was about +4.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sometimes you get lucky. My Silver Watch Co. 5517 homage with Miyota 9015 astounds me. I grab it every few months and wear it for a couple of days and it seems to consistently gain about a second per day. I set it Sunday a.m., and when I took it off and checked last night it was about +4.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/622/img_1474a-1940839.jpg
View Quote

I've had really good luck with the 9015's. Had a few NTH watches that were within COSC, with almost no variation for position.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/622/img_1474a-1940839.jpg
View Quote

This forum is costing me $$$
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I have that exact watch, and yes, mine gains time and probably needs to be adjusted. I just end up arriving early by a few minutes as the week goes on and reset it on Friday.

It looks good, it’s mechanical, and it’s ready for relaxing on the beach or the end of the world.

What’s not to like!
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I rarely wear my watch (Orient Mako USA) every day. Usually it is Saturday that it doesn't get worn so I set it on Sunday. So in reality it doesn't matter to me that much. But this thread made me curious. Over the course of the last week it gained a total of 5 seconds. I don't wear it when I'm sleeping so position overnight definitely effects its accuracy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#42]
It's easier to hack an auto that runs fast versus a watch that runs slow so there's that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#43]
For me, wristwatches are jewelry, so as long as they are somewhat kinda sorta accurate over a month or two, I really don't care.

I rotate watches so I just let them wind down until I come back to them a few months later.

If you DO need an accurate wristwatch then something with an Eco_Drive is probably your best bet.  My Citizen Paradigm is extremely accurate.  You might have to maintain one every ten years or so...maybe.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#44]
If you love watches then you'll want and dig automatics, if watches aren't your thing... then perhaps a quartz or digital watch is more the choice.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you love watches then you'll want and dig automatics,  
View Quote
False.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#46]
No. They’re a hassle because they stop after leaving them sit in a drawer for a few days while you wear a different watch.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No. They’re a hassle because they stop after leaving them sit in a drawer for a few days while you wear a different watch.
View Quote

A simple, reliable, two-watch winder is $49.  I have three automatics I rotate thru, two are always in the winder. It eliminates that frustration.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I have found that regulated Seiko NH36 movements keep excellent time. I check once a month and rarely need to adjust the time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cost of ownership.

why would it be in the drawer for a few days? I was speaking to gaining a min a month vs power reserve, convenience, etc...
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Have a Seiko King Turtle with the 4R36 movement and it's very accurate at ~ +4 seconds a day. Have an Explorer II (216570) that's as accurate but at 25X the cost of the Seiko.
Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top