Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2017 11:58:16 AM EDT
Got one of the stiff tan ones that you see a lot of the construction guys wearing that is probably 20 years old and it's on its last leg.
Just wondering if the brands coats are still that durable.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
All my buddies have Carhartt jackets and love em while putting them through hell. Me, I have a Wolverine jacket that is going strong on 7 years now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My Carhart is going on 15 years and still used every winter.

Other jackets would of been torn to shreds going through East Texas Briars.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I still wear one that is older than my daughter.  She recently turned 24.

Cuffs are fraying a little, but otherwise still good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The last 3 I've had, my wife found at Goodwill. Brand new,  $25 or less. 
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a good deal on a new one to replace my old one I had for 15 years.

That was 4 years ago and I still wear the old one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I like them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I swipe my wife's chore coat when I have to do fun stuff like hike out to the greenouse at 1:00 A.M. during a snowstorm to change the propane tank on the heater.  There's something to be said for a piece of outerwear that's the first thing you grab for when you know life's about to go all to suck.  Gonna have to break down and buy my own this year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Best winter jacket I've ever worn. Have about 4 of them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I just happened to have bought a new one after leaving mine in az.  It's gtg.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the quality but they are too short.  I like my jackets a little longer then waist seam.  At least the carhartts I have worn.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine. Very warm. But had to Downy the fuck out of it to get it comfortable. One of the guys at work swears by Old Mill. He said he bought them at Menard's. I've looked at them online since we don't have any around here. Very reasonable
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the quality but they are too short.  I like my jackets a little longer then waist seam.  At least the carhartts I have worn.
View Quote
I agree and I am not tall by any means.  I don't get why they're made like that.

I've got some insulated coveralls that are great.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Old ones were excellent, newer ones are OK.

Old stuff was made in the US, a lot of the new stuff is made in China, Philippines and other places.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Filson jackets are STUPIDLY overpriced.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The last 3 I've had, my wife found at Goodwill. Brand new,  $25 or less. 
View Quote
The fad of wearing them in the ghetto is over.  Did you check for spent shell casings in all the pockets?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Mid level management Gucci canvas. "I'm working on tough chores on my day off. Tough, tough chores. See? This sleeve even got dirty." Some would even say if you need that bad a coat then maybe you are doing it wrong -

Goes to "I've had mine for 30 years and the cuffs are just starting to fray." I see construction workers who can wear one out in two winters. So, not so much.

For the 30 something guy get a Walls, you are going to gain another 25 pounds and have to trade up anyway.

There are other brands, ya know. Berne? Carhartt is just the current fad contractor look for those who don't really contractor. I get dozens of them in the store - on Saturday. During the week, nope, not so much. Working men can't afford Gucci canvas.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Work bought us Carhartt jackets.  My zipper pull didn't last a full winter of washings.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I get about 2 winters out of them.
Nothing else has survived a whole winter on me.
I am rough on clothes, to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
They have a "tall" size version that fixes that.  Picked up one of those a couple days ago, and I'm by no means tall.  It's maybe an inch or so longer than I'd like, but I'd rather have that than the waistline-length version.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#21]
2XL jacket with L size pockets.  Fuk Carhart.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a really dark Charcoal one thats got to be 10+ years old, still holding solid.  
Usually I layer it over one of those Dessert Tan or Foliage Green Base layer jackets and I stay good to go...
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I've noticed the newer Carhartt stuff is much shorter and smaller for the size based on the older stuff.  A company here in Texas purchased Filson and some watch start-up out of Detroit called "Shinola" and Filson's quality has lessened as well.  The old Filson wool had bar tacking on pretty much every stitch ending.  Now, not so much.  Guess it's a sign of the times.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Schmidt and Wolverine are good alternatives, right? Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Maybe if you have money to burn...

Carrhart jackets will last most people a life time at a quarter the price of that shit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I still have my standard US-made Carhartt - Guess it would be this one with the quilted flannel lining.

I have a Walls chore coat I got around the same time, also made in the US, that's a bit lighter on the insulation but doesn't have the Michilen-man effect on me.  

I've had these around 20 years with no rips, tears, or anything wearing on them.  Just a little dirty.  I'm no construction worker or anything, and being in Texas, they don't get much of a workout.  I'm sure these coats will outlive me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I love my carhartt, but will no longer buy their pants, as I find dickies duck pants to be a better buy and last soo much longer. I would be tempted to try a dickies duck coat to see if they last as long as their pants.

That being said, I own a fair share of carhartt and would say they are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mid level management Gucci canvas. "I'm working on tough chores on my day off. Tough, tough chores. See? This sleeve even got dirty." Some would even say if you need that bad a coat then maybe you are doing it wrong -

Goes to "I've had mine for 30 years and the cuffs are just starting to fray." I see construction workers who can wear one out in two winters. So, not so much.

For the 30 something guy get a Walls, you are going to gain another 25 pounds and have to trade up anyway.

There are other brands, ya know. Berne? Carhartt is just the current fad contractor look for those who don't really contractor. I get dozens of them in the store - on Saturday. During the week, nope, not so much. Working men can't afford Gucci canvas.
View Quote
Are there really that many people who want to dress up like a contractor?

Personally I don't really give a shit what "real deal" construction workers wear and about the last thing that would ever cross my mind is "I wonder what that roofer thinks of my coat?"
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#29]
You really have to be a “working”man to wear this coat, anyone else is just a poser ! I go through one of the winter coats every two to three years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#30]
My Carhartt is probably 10 years old and my favorite jacket. Sadly the zipper busted on the end last year. Been having a hard time letting it go because it’s so soft and comfortable finally. Suppose a seamstress can fix it but nobody got time for that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:46:21 AM EDT
[#31]
A good alternative is Arbor Wear.  I think it's competitive in price, and it's damn tough stuff. Hooded Jacket is super warm.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I got a newer Carharrt jacket and its nice, but the older ones were better quality.  I got a jacket from Duluth Trading Post that is really nice.  I also have a firehose shirt jacket, and its really durable and its pretty warm too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I wear mine deer hunting, helps me blend with them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I've really enjoyed mine.  I have a black detroit jacket that I wear quite a lot.  Beat the snot out of it and it's just a little faded, showing the 1st signs of fraying in high wear areas.  But it gets worn a ton, worked in a lot, and it's super comfortable.

I will replace it if it ever wears through.  It's one of 2 jackets that will be replaced immediately when it's time.  The other is my kuhl.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I swipe my wife's chore coat when I have to do fun stuff like hike out to the greenouse at 1:00 A.M. during a snowstorm to change the propane tank on the heater.  There's something to be said for a piece of outerwear that's the first thing you grab for when you know life's about to go all to suck.  Gonna have to break down and buy my own this year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have a "tall" size version that fixes that.  Picked up one of those a couple days ago, and I'm by no means tall.  It's maybe an inch or so longer than I'd like, but I'd rather have that than the waistline-length version.
Since this thread has somehow managed to keep its head above water this long, may as well give a one-year AAR.

The jacket I bought last winter still looks like new, and I wear it quite a bit for around-the-farm chores.  Still the warmest coat I own; I can spend a half hour outside at 20F with nothing but a T-shirt underneath and it's plenty comfortable.

Only real bitch I have about it is that the inner lining is a super-effective dog hair magnet.  If I turned it inside-out and walked through the house, my wife wouldn't have to vacuum for a week.

"Hey, where'd you get that?  I didn't know Carhartt made fur-lined hoods..."  
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I recently replaced 2 Carhartt jackets that I've had so long I forget when and where I even bought them.

Every bit bit as good as the jackets they're replacing.

I also have a Carhartt hoodie that's vastly better quality than any other hoodie by any company.

GTG
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a Carhartt waterproof/breathable coat that has since been discontinued.  Love it.

I also have some of their raingear.  I worked in it last year during Hurricane Harvey.  GTG.

Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My Carhartt is probably 10 years old and my favorite jacket. Sadly the zipper busted on the end last year. Been having a hard time letting it go because it’s so soft and comfortable finally. Suppose a seamstress can fix it but nobody got time for that.
View Quote
My old Carhartt had a broken zipper after about 10 yrs. Wife had a coworker who's mother was a seamstress, she put a new zipper in for about $10-15 if I recall. It's my around the house winter coat now.
I had bought a replacement at TSC when they had them on sale, prior to getting my old one fixed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I recently purchased one of the full swing models in grey it is not stiff at all and is very warm.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Love Carhartt. Descent deal at Sierra Trading Post. If in the area I go to the outlet in Pidgeon Forge TN.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#42]
In my opinion I think they are great,  I work at the airport and I have to wear khaki pants,  I got 5 pairs,  5 to 6 years ago,  they all get washed every week,  they still look great.  No holes,  zippers work, buttons still good.  I have to get in and out of tugs,  belt loaders, regular loaders and load the aircraft.  I have several old jackets that are almost too warm for SC.

The jackets only get worn a few months a year due to our weather.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I love my carhart jackets freaking rock. I have had mine from the last few years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Since the thread is still kickin', may as well post an update to my post above.

I lost a bunch of weight and now my 1.5-year-old jacket I was so happy with fits me like I'm wrapped in the tarp from the rear of a deuce-and-a-half.  

I'm not even gonna get close to wearing it out before I need a new one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Durable jackets but I'm not a fan of the stiff material , and the cuffs were really uncomfortable to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top