Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2021 10:14:18 PM EDT
I thought Toyota was legendary for its car reliability but I see a lot of these dead on CL and FB for cheap.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#1]
20 + years is hard on any car.  The last gen Celica was basically a Corolla of the same era.  Same engine and trans (GTS had a spicy 2ZZ that spun to 8,000rpm).   They were as good as any corolla from the era.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Air filter is a pain in the ass to change.

Not bad, just they are usually beat to hell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My kid is driving a 2000 Geo (Corolla).

Runs and drives fine, but the plastics and rubber are trashed. Absolutely trashed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
They were fine cars. But by this age they have been owned by 3 or 4 17 year olds that have beat the piss out of them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The GTS is a great car that was given the badge of "chick car" so it never really got the due it deserved. Awesome motor and transmission in that trim.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
They fall victim to the "Fast & Furious" crowd.

Owned one that was a Swiss Watch running 180K miles and looked & ran perfect.

Just don't let or buy one a teenager is flogging.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They fall victim to the "Fast & Furious" crowd.

Owned one that was a Swiss Watch running 180K miles and looked & ran perfect.

Just don't let or buy one a teenager is flogging.
View Quote

Which is true of any car, regardless of brand, model, or age.

I've spent the past two weeks working on a 2002 Jetta that belonged to a teenager. At this point, I've run out of obscenities and have resorted to making up new ones.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#8]
They have oil consumption issues - serious oil consumption, not just a quart every couple thousand miles.

I don't know all the details, but it's would be worth researching before buying one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have oil consumption issues - serious oil consumption, not just a quart every couple thousand miles.

I don't know all the details, but it's would be worth researching before buying one.
View Quote

The 2.4 in the Camry and Scion tC had oil consumption issues. Never heard of Corollas with the same problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#10]
In a nutshell, the GT is basically a Corolla in a fancy shell. Not very exciting even with the 5 speed. The GTS is a whole different ball game. It gets the 2zz engine and a 6 speed trans.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Friend of mine is pushing over 275k on his.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top