Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2023 10:46:28 PM EDT
I'm planning on taking my open water certification this month. I have no gear at all. My biggest motivation is to be able to go on dives while on vacation.

Is the Apple Ultra a decent enough dive watch with the Oceanic app? I don't foresee me doing really deep dives in the foreseeable future. Probably tropical reefs, maybe some spearfishing eventually in FL.

I have a basic Apple SE now, but the extra functionality of the Ultra from day to day along with the dive capabilities make it an attractive option for me if it will work for that. Otherwise, if it's not worth it as a dive watch the extra perks for a daily watch isn't that appealing for the price tag.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
In for answers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My understanding was its water rating is somewhat limiting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You’ll be fine for recreational diving with it.

It runs a Bühlmann decompression algorithm and the watch is rated to 130ft.

Only downside is the app is subscription based and will cost $9.99 for 1 month.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
There are several long threads on Scubaboard that will answer your questions. Someone even did an app so you could pull dive log data out of the Oceanic app.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#5]
It has a few drawbacks including a questionable waterproof life.
If you think you need to buy a dive computer now get a Shearwater Peregrine. It will do anything you will ever need and is easy to use. If my Zeagle N2Ition ever finally dies the Peregrine is what I will be buying.
FWIW I started diving in the early ‘70s using tables.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Ehh, I’m not a huge fan of Oceanic (which the software is based off of,) but a good number of owners like them. Personally I like the Teric from Shearwater.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The apple watch is great at what it is.  Which is an Apple watch with acceptable dive computer for recreational diving only.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I suggest using the Apple Watch until you get the money to buy something significantly better.  If you haven't even done your OW yet you may not like diving enough to spend much on a dedicated computer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind it costs extra to use it as a dive computer, I think a subscription.
For the price I would just get a Shearwater.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pepperbelly:

Keep in mind it costs extra to use it as a dive computer, I think a subscription.
For the price I would just get a Shearwater.
View Quote

I don’t have a regular dive partner local to me, I want to recreational dive on vacations/travels. I’m ok with paying a low subscription fee for the few months I would use it that I would have dives scheduled.

Here in PA we don’t have many months available. If/when I move to a sunshine state, my needs would be likely different.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:

I don’t have a regular dive partner local to me, I want to recreational dive on vacations/travels. I’m ok with paying a low subscription fee for the few months I would use it that I would have dives scheduled.

Here in PA we don’t have many months available. If/when I move to a sunshine state, my needs would be likely different.
View Quote

Have you tried to find local buddies? Can take a bit of work sometimes. I live in northern IL and I pretty much dive year round.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Honestly sounds like the Apple Watch is perfect for you, IF you want an Apple Watch as a smartwatch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Marie:

Have you tried to find local buddies? Can take a bit of work sometimes. I live in northern IL and I pretty much dive year round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

I haven't yet. Tonight is my last night of my classes before the open water dives which I'll probably do in a month or two.

Originally Posted By TinLeg:

Honestly sounds like the Apple Watch is perfect for you, IF you want an Apple Watch as a smartwatch.

Yeah, I already have the Gen 1 SE, and it does a good job for me. I use it for notifications, 2FA for push alerts for work, and a heart rate monitor at the gym. I had considered "upgrading" to a higher tier Apple watch before, but none of the perks were worth the increased prices to me. But needing a dive computer, and being able to use the Ultra as that whilst also getting use out of it by wearing it daily and not just for diving, makes the option more attractive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#14]

I haven't yet. Tonight is my last night of my classes before the open water dives which I'll probably do in a month or two.

Yeah, I already have the Gen 1 SE, and it does a good job for me. I use it for notifications, 2FA for push alerts for work, and a heart rate monitor at the gym. I had considered "upgrading" to a higher tier Apple watch before, but none of the perks were worth the increased prices to me. But needing a dive computer, and being able to use the Ultra as that whilst also getting use out of it by wearing it daily and not just for diving, makes the option more attractive.
View Quote

If you’re going to be recreationally diving 3-4 times a year and keeping to recreational depths, you’re going to be just fine with using the Apple Ultra as a dive computer.

The question is, do you want all the non-diving features of the Apple Ultra at the $799.00 cost and plan on recreationally diving a few times a year?  If not, the diving features are over priced (once you add in subscription) and limiting to recreational diving.

Even if your diving progresses into needing a more technical dive computer, you can still use the watch as a watch and a backup dive computer.

You’re buying a smart watch, with a $10 a vacation subscription, recreational dive computer built in.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 0002s:

If you’re going to be recreationally diving 3-4 times a year and keeping to recreational depths, you’re going to be just fine with using the Apple Ultra as a dive computer.

The question is, do you want all the non-diving features of the Apple Ultra at the $799.00 cost and plan on recreationally diving a few times a year?  If not, the diving features are over priced (once you add in subscription) and limiting to recreational diving.

Even if your diving progresses into needing a more technical dive computer, you can still use the watch as a watch and a backup dive computer.

You’re buying a smart watch, with a $10 a vacation subscription, recreational dive computer built in.
View Quote

Honestly I'll likely buy a lightly used one, they are going for about $600 right now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#16]
i seem to remember reading about limitations with how long it is warranted to remain waterproof.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]
The people I know locally who are using the Apple Watch ultra for their dive computer love it. If I was just doing recreational diving, I would get one. I’ve already had an Apple Watch for a few years.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinLeg] [#18]
I now own an Apple Watch Ultra.  

One thing - you'll want to make sure the battery is fully charged the morning of.  Swimming in a pool it goes down shockingly fast, especially when I am used to my Descent, and admittedly it was 'under water' for the better part of three hours.  Well beyond recreational diving.

I haven't been diving with it yet however.  It's looking like it may not happen this year, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I just bought an Ultra 2. Upgraded from an 8. Wanted the extra battery life. Larger display is nice, too. I’ll probably try it out diving once our local diving holes open.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I have used my Ultra as a back up computer for my Shearwater Persix II. The Apple Watch and the Perdix run pretty much exactly the same. The Apple Watch is very easy to set up and easy to read underwater. I’m not sure I’d want it as my only dive computer but from what I can tell it works perfectly fine.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top