Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2021 12:04:57 PM EDT
I have one and can this be repurposed to use with a PC??
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think so. It's basically just a drive with wi-fi capabilities.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I presume you are talking about Time Capsule (time machine is actually a MacOS utility which automates backing up the computer).

You CAN, depending on what you want to use it for.  Whether you SHOULD is a different question.

Time Capsule is a router with a built in hard drive.  For use with Windows, you'll need to install the Apple AirPort utility on your machine - the windows version should be on the installation CD, or you can download it from Apple.  This allows you to configure Time Capsule to do what you want, including both the router and the hard drive.

To use the hard drive with a Windows computer, you'll need to set up the hard drive for sharing from the AirPort utility.  You would select the Time Capsule from the menu, then Manual Setup > Disks >File Sharing >enable file sharing > Update (note - if you have the newest version, it might not work, because the windows version of the utility was written for Windows 7, long before the newest model of Time Machine was built)  DO NOT select "Share disks over WAN."  Your Hard drive is now available to the local network.

You'll have to make separate changes to any windows computer that you want to be able to access the disk.  Time Capsule only supports an older version of the network sharing protocol known as SMB1 (Server Message Block).  This protocol predates widespread internet connectivity and lacks security features now considered crucial, which is why I said that whether you should use it is a different question above.  Do so at your own risk.  Windows 10 by default does not support SMB1, but you CAN enable it at your own risk.  WIndows 10 has started "simplifying" their controls, which makes this harder to find than it used to be. To do so, select settings from your start menu (the gear icon), then select the apps icon, then click on "optional features."  From there, scroll to the bottom of the window and select "More Windows features" which will bring up a new window.  Scroll down until you find SMB 1.0/CIFS file Sharing support, expand that option, and click on the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client box to enable.  You'll have to restart the computer for that to take effect.  After that, you should be able to see the drive and access it from Windows.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top