Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2021 1:41:30 PM EDT

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard that Grissom took one look at the Apollo system and declared it a lemon.

And boy howdy he was right.

But this sort of thing is a risk you take when you're breathing a pure oxygen atmosphere as opposed to oxygen-nitrogen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I heard that Grissom took one look at the Apollo system and declared it a lemon.

But this sort of thing is a risk you take when you're breathing a pure oxygen atmosphere as opposed to oxygen-nitrogen.
View Quote

NASA had considered the risk of pure oxygen and considered it less of a hazard than the bends.  Filling the cabin with flammable material was inexcusable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not a physicist or a rocket scientist or anything like that, but I spent enough time with an oxy-acetylene torch to know pure O2 is not something to fuck around with.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

NASA had considered the risk of pure oxygen and considered it less of a hazard than the bends.  Filling the cabin with flammable material was inexcusable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, IIRC, the materials were not flammable at the nominal operating conditions. The capsule was OVER pressurized to simulate the pressure differential. This changed everything, including making the hatch harder to open.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to assume there was a recording from the cockpit?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is.

I think the last thing they said was something about being unable to talk between 2 buildings.

The documentary I was watching cut off shortly after that. I have no desire to hear the screams of good men dying in a fire.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apollo 1 Audio - 27 January, 1967
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is on YT.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Mercury and Gemini used 100% oxygen systems.

Carried into Apollo because of this.  Using a mixture of oxygen/nitrogen ONLY at launch then bleeding the nitrogen off during ascent will the CSM will be at 100% oxygen.  This mod was done post A7 fire.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Technically, IIRC, the materials were not flammable at the nominal operating conditions. The capsule was OVER pressurized to simulate the pressure differential. This changed everything, including making the hatch harder to open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC the plan was to have the capsule pressurized above atmospheric pressure at launch and bleed down to ~ 3psi (partial pressure of oxygen in our atmosphere) during ascent.  They needed to account for enhanced flammability at the higher pressure on the pad.

The process adopted after the fire was to launch with a mixed atmosphere and transition to the low pressure pure oxygen atmosphere in flight.  The astronauts still breathed pure oxygen in their suits from the start to prevent the bends.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I was broken hearted as a kid who followed the space program.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#13]
As a kid, my family and I attended a parade to honor Gus Grissom after his Mercury flight. Early 60s, Mitchell, Indiana. His hometown, and he was riding in the back of a convertible, IIRC.

Long time ago.......
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I was 4 1/2 years old at the time and I still remember the pictures on TV. My parents watched Huntley-Brinkley every night in the living room so I was around. Honestly I did not know what exactly was going on at the time but I remember a lot of people were very upset and I remember the funerals several days later on TV.

Quoted:
Technically, IIRC, the materials were not flammable at the nominal operating conditions.
View Quote

A pet peeve of my late father, who was a professor of chemistry, was the oft claim that Oxygen was flammable. It is not. It is dangerous and promotes the combustion of OTHER materials but itself is not flammable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#15]
That audio..................fuck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#16]
They have the door at the KSC Museum.  It is pretty somber to see it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]
When I went to HAS a few years ago in highschool I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Jerry Woodfill. Said he couldn't stand the movie "Apollo 13" because they show the fire starting at a part he made and he said "I designed that part and the fire did not start there."

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As a kid, my family and I attended a parade to honor Gus Grissom after his Mercury flight. Early 60s, Mitchell, Indiana. His hometown, and he was riding in the back of a convertible, IIRC.

Long time ago.......
View Quote

I need to take my granddaughter to visit the memorial in Bedford.I havent been there in decades....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember there were three cul-de-sacs not far from me.  Grissom Ct, Chafee Ct, and White Ct.  I remember my mom trying to explain to me that they were named after Astronauts who died, but I was too young to really understand.  

-K
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was a kid in the early 1960s, a middle school teacher had small bottle of LOX, and at a PTA meet he had match that he blew the flame, and dropped it into the LOX, the bottle exploded, but fortunately there was only minor injuries from flying debris.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top