Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2023 11:24:11 AM EDT
I was looking at getting tankless water heater for the house. I’m on a well and live above 10k feet in elevation (Colorado Rockies). Needless to say, the well water stays pretty cold most of the year. I get a lot of mixed information on if it will be able to heat the water properly. I don’t have propane/Natural gas at the house, so I was looking at electric. I would mount it in “basement” (think large crawl space), to protect it somewhat from the cold weather. Anyone using them under those conditions or somewhat knowledgeable on them?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Im on my 2nd one in 20 years. First was fed straight from the well and was still working when we replaced it while replumbing the whole house.

2nd is fed filtered and softened water so i hope it lasts as long as the first.

We are Running LP, if electric only I would stay with a tank.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Navian  99K btu tankless water heater in my bathroom.  My well shack is above ground and approximately 70 feet from my house, static water level is 221 feet.

I'm in the Idaho panhandle, winter temps can get down to double digits below zero and not unusual.

As long as I remember to turn on the heat trace on the piping from the well head, and the heat lamp shining on the pressure tank, I don't have any issues with water during winter.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Well water temp doesn't vary much by season.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Most newer tankless designs have excellent cleaning paths.

I would still recommend a 2 or 3 stage big blue water filter setup in front if it.

5 micron filters with a 40/60 split. Tankless units don't appreciate low pressure water lines.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup. House was well and spring fed. We ran off the spring.

ETA ours was propane
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You might be able to take a hot shower with one if you've got 80+ amps to spare in your panel/service.

Massive draw to get that temperature rise.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Stiebel Eltron , upstate New York, well- no issues for several years .
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Our High School Gym used 8 electric Renai. They were installed when the gym was built in 2009.  Not one problem, and we have terrible water! We get
it from our local reservoir.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
gtg for me. 8,000'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top