Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2020 10:51:08 PM EDT
I was at my parents house a couple of weeks ago and found all of my basic dungeons and dragons books, the old red cover book for the basic set and the blue expert book. My 10 year old daughter was interested because of the pictures, so I had her read the book and she like it. So we started a basic adventure that I made in about 15 minutes and she loved it. Now when ever she comes over, thats all she wants to do. But now shes wants to get others to play with her.

Do any of you guys have kids that would like to play or learn how to play? We are going to try to play over zoom as soon as I can get her computer set up for it. It would be a family friendly (obviously) game with parents welcome to join in. It would be great to have 4 or 5 people to play.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
OP worships the debbil
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm mid 40s and the kids grew up on 1ed AD&D and Palladium. They were just playing Palladium FRPG on their own the other day ages 22-14.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My daughter is ready to play with a group, hoping to find people her age that would want to learn and play with her.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP worships the debbil
View Quote

Just need to play some Ozzy backwards and the transmutation will be complete.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Although my oldest is about the same age as I was when I played, they still seem a bit young for it.

My sis has done some as an adult and would ask me for ideas. Recently I jokingly made some characters to give her ideas for new game she was joining. She took it as I wanted in and asked the GM, since they only had 3 and wanted the extra. It’s been a blast. They RP more than I ever did, which I thought was going to be hard for me. It makes things take a LOT longer, but it’s still been fun.

Anyway, the girls have shown a little curiosity about what I’m doing but I don’t think enough to actually play. I asked if they wanted to help me make up a new character and they just wandered off to play with ponies.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Might look into local organized play groups, D&D Adventurer's League for D&D, Pathfinder Society for Pathfinder, starfinder. We have a couple people that have young kids, so they generally organize a game just for them every few months.

Generally they'll have a Facebook group and discord and organize games there or on Warhorn.  most of 'us' have moved online, so games are plentiful.  Even the cons have moved online.  I've played in half a dozen online cons this year, and my weekly games are all online now, using Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, TableTop Simulator and yeah a couple are just us on Zoom being dorks.  RPGs, card games, even mini wargames like Warhammer can all be played online with the proper tools.

I hope my 5 year old gets into it soon.  I've been playing all kinds of RPGs since I was a kid, started in '85.  I have a Yuge collection for her to inherit.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Might look into local organized play groups, D&D Adventurer's League for D&D, Pathfinder Society for Pathfinder, starfinder. We have a couple people that have young kids, so they generally organize a game just for them every few months.

Generally they'll have a Facebook group and discord and organize games there or on Warhorn.  most of 'us' have moved online, so games are plentiful.  Even the cons have moved online.  I've played in half a dozen online cons this year, and my weekly games are all online now, using Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, TableTop Simulator and yeah a couple are just us on Zoom being dorks.  RPGs, card games, even mini wargames like Warhammer can all be played online with the proper tools.

I hope my 5 year old gets into it soon.  I've been playing all kinds of RPGs since I was a kid, started in '85.  I have a Yuge collection for her to inherit.
View Quote

Problem with the adventurers league is that they only play 5th edition. I found a couple of facebook groups, Ill see if I can find something in there maybe. Im surprised more people arent interested.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Find out if any of her friends are into Stranger Things, they may be interested in learning D&D.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#9]
They have some pretty good emulators on Steam. You could play it w them as a fellow character.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Could always just introduce her to World Of Warcrack.  They've made all kinds of changes to make the game extremely PUG friendly from what I've heard
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My 9yo daughter plays Wow with my wife.
They made a guild and everything....just the two of them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They have some pretty good emulators on Steam. You could play it w them as a fellow character.
View Quote

What are these? I Dont know anything about them

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
@8mmdale My kids are teaching me!  Which leads me to ask a question, how can a group of four level 4 PC defeat a Night Hag?  Is there a possibility of a defense?  I have a feeling our DM is out to teach us a lesson.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@8mmdale My kids are teaching me!  Which leads me to ask a question, how can a group of four level 4 PC defeat a Night Hag?  Is there a possibility of a defense?  I have a feeling our DM is out to teach us a lesson.
View Quote

Thats great! My daughter is having a blast playing, we play every weekend. I bought her some miniatures to match the characters in the group and she painted them herself with a starter paint kit.

What version of the game are you guys playing? We are playing the original 1979 basic and expert set, so there arent monsters that advanced in the game.

Ive given my daughters group of characters alot of good gear, it makes it easier for her to focus on decision making and analysis of the situation and less focus on just the combat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#15]
It’s DnD 5th edition.  We’re about two months into it now.  It’s been a blast playing, makes me wish I’d learned years ago, but better late than never.  It’s been a while since I took the time to learn a new game.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I played original D&D first but I spent more time on AD&D after it came out than anything else by far. I was lucky to run with the motorheads, the metalheads, the jocks, the geeks and the rap crowd during the early 80s, so I was exposed to a lot of stuff. My son and his roommates play all the time now because of the stories I told of the adventures we had as kids

Ahhh the good old days

(But Fantasy Hero / Hero Games is where it's at)

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#17]
My older daughter, her boyfriend and some friends have played a couple times. I'm not sure if they know what they're doing but she has funny stories and had a good time so that's all that matters. They tried to get me to play and I have always wanted to do it, might jump in one day for laughs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Kids have it tough already, no need to make them nerds!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was at my parents house a couple of weeks ago and found all of my basic dungeons and dragons books, the old red cover book for the basic set and the blue expert book. My 10 year old daughter was interested because of the pictures, so I had her read the book and she like it. So we started a basic adventure that I made in about 15 minutes and she loved it. Now when ever she comes over, thats all she wants to do. But now shes wants to get others to play with her.

Do any of you guys have kids that would like to play or learn how to play? We are going to try to play over zoom as soon as I can get her computer set up for it. It would be a family friendly (obviously) game with parents welcome to join in. It would be great to have 4 or 5 people to play.
View Quote

My daughter just got interested in it.  I have no clue how to play though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My daughter is ready to play with a group, hoping to find people her age that would want to learn and play with her.
View Quote

not sure what part of Ohio you live in, but look for a place like Tabletop.  it's a "bar"/ coffee shop type place with games you rent.  They have D&D.  I'm waiting for my HeroQuest to come in to start them on that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My daughter just got interested in it.  I have no clue how to play though.
View Quote

The basic set is extremely easy to learn and play. The rules are pretty simple. You can find the basic and expert books on ebay for about 30-40 bucks. I bought a couple of the adventures that have been licensed as pdfs, but my daughter really likes the ones I just throw together.

We play on Zoom sometimes, my sister offered to play because my daughter doesnt have alot of friends interested apparently. If you guys want to play let me know. Y
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

not sure what part of Ohio you live in, but look for a place like Tabletop.  it's a "bar"/ coffee shop type place with games you rent.  They have D&D.  I'm waiting for my HeroQuest to come in to start them on that.
View Quote

I Live in Toledo. We have a place called frogtown gaming and old school games that normally have a place for games. But they are all closed down for the covid nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:42:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I played original D&D first but I spent more time on AD&D after it came out than anything else by far. I was lucky to run with the motorheads, the metalheads, the jocks, the geeks and the rap crowd during the early 80s, so I was exposed to a lot of stuff. My son and his roommates play all the time now because of the stories I told of the adventures we had as kids

Ahhh the good old days
https://i.redd.it/d3n0bqn8ayp21.jpg

View Quote
I was / am a total gaming geek.  I started playing D&D with the old while box booklets.  While I loved D&D, Traveller, Battletech, Morrow Project, and even Gamma World; I think Fantasy Hero and the whole Hero Games system is by far my favorite.

The problem Hero Games system is most players could not make a worth while character to save their lives.  Too much math and needing to understand the whole system for most.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ahhh the good old days
https://i.redd.it/d3n0bqn8ayp21.jpg

View Quote

Nice! , still have about 20 of those books in my attic along with a bag of dice and a bag of figurines. I was in charge of keeping all of it when we were kids...... Just never could make myself sell it all. Great memories!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The basic set is extremely easy to learn and play. The rules are pretty simple. You can find the basic and expert books on ebay for about 30-40 bucks. I bought a couple of the adventures that have been licensed as pdfs, but my daughter really likes the ones I just throw together.

We play on Zoom sometimes, my sister offered to play because my daughter doesnt have alot of friends interested apparently. If you guys want to play let me know. Y
View Quote

cool.  thanks for the info.  i'll see what she thinks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

cool.  thanks for the info.  i'll see what she thinks.
View Quote

Ok. If you guys wanted to play Im sure my Daughter would be excited.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok. If you guys wanted to play Im sure my Daughter would be excited.
View Quote

would we need to get a board or something?  I have no clue what is all needed.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I have always wanted to play but don't know anyone that ever played.  Would someone have a link of the basic stuff I would need to get started?  

I've been playing the D&D board games with my wife and son, but it would be cool to make our own characters/adventures
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I often playing in the earn to die https://www.topspeed.com/car-games/car-games/earn-to-die-ar127060.html with my children. do you also play computer games with your children?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have always wanted to play but don't know anyone that ever played.  Would someone have a link of the basic stuff I would need to get started?  

I've been playing the D&D board games with my wife and son, but it would be cool to make our own characters/adventures
View Quote

I'd be glad too. Right now, dungeons and dragons is just the 5th edition. Lots of books and lots of rules. I bought the 5th edition players handbook to play with my friends, and as someone who has been playing a long time, Im lost in it.

Right now, I am playing the original 1979 basic dungeons and dragons game with my daughter. Its extremely simple to learn, still has the same game play and its been alot of fun. We are using the basic rule book and expert rule book (red and blue covers). I still have my set my mom and dad got me for Christmas in like 1980, which are long since out of print. But you can still get a nice copy on ebay for around 20 bucks a book. I bought my daughter both books for christmas.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dungeons-Dragons-Fantasy-Adventure-Game-Basic-Rulebook-D-D-TSR/402761475295?hash=item5dc67464df:g:x0EAAOSwQ3FgWcjL
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXPERT-RULEBOOK-from-Expert-Rule-Set-1981-Dungeons-Dragons-1st-Edition/174710066418?epid=2254484178&hash=item28ad880cf2:g:YEgAAOSwFNJgYPDC

These are the two books we use. I make all the adventures myself for my daughter, so other than dice and some time to read it, thats all you need. My Elsa loves it, we play every weekend shes with me.

If you guys wanted to play, we could easily set up a zoom game!
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I often playing in the earn to die https://www.topspeed.com/car-games/car-games/earn-to-die-ar127060.html with my children. do you also play computer games with your children?
View Quote

Both my daughters, 10 and 7 are roblux addicts. They play all the time with their friends from school. My ex wife has been letting my oldest get "roblux" money with her allowance. Not sure I am good with that, Im trying to teach them to spend time outside and with actual friends.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Can someone answer a 5e Level 5 Ranger question?  After gaining the second attack ability, does the second attack also include a primary and a secondary weapon?  Does the animal companion also get a double attack?

That would be first attack:  primary and secondary weapon
Second attack:  primary and secondary weapon (or only primary on second attack)
Animal attack:  claw and bite
Second attack:  claw and bite (or nothing?)
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can someone answer a 5e Level 5 Ranger question?  After gaining the second attack ability, does the second attack also include a primary and a secondary weapon?  Does the animal companion also get a double attack?

That would be first attack:  primary and secondary weapon
Second attack:  primary and secondary weapon (or only primary on second attack)
Animal attack:  claw and bite
Second attack:  claw and bite (or nothing?)
View Quote

with 5E RAW - once you gain your animal companion at 3rd level, you can use your action on your turn to attack or command your animal to attack; not both. After 5th level you should only get two total attacks per turn, so it can be two from you or one from you and one from your animal companion. if you're two weapon fighting, it would be:

Action - Attack - primary weapon
Bonus Action - secondary weapon
Action - Animal Companion attack or Primary Weapon attack
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Last time i fired up Tabletop Simulator to explore different WW2/Vietnam games i saw a few D&D games on there.  They were all password locked though.  Considering how toxic so many people are, i can see why.

I kind of miss D&D with the adlib attitude during play.  Board games are stale by comparison.  Only works with people that have a sense of humor which seems to be lacking these days.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

would we need to get a board or something?  I have no clue what is all needed.  
View Quote

No board or anything, and technically you wouldnt need the books. Just a set of dice and a vivid imagination lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top