Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2019 8:00:08 PM EDT
I'm helping a friend research an accident that happened in the southern training area on August 15, 1980. A soldier was hit by the tail rotor of a Huey helicopter and killed. My friend observed the accident and has been bothered by it for a long time. He does not remember the soldier's name, as he was in a different unit. Any help finding out some info to help my friend get some measure of closure would be great.

Suggested research leads?

Both my friend and the deceased soldier were in the 4th ID, but different units within. Are unit diaries or records available online?

My friend is 67 years old and not good with computers/internet, so I offered to help out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd call or email the Colorado Springs newspaper and tell them your story.  I bet they have microfiche from back then that someone could look through for you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I was there then, and remember hearing about it.  I was also about 10 days from ETSing, so unfortunately i didn’t pay much attention to it.  B co. 1-12 infantry.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Freedom of Information Act request to Army Safety Center for a redacted report.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Freedom of Information Act request to Army Safety Center for a redacted report.
View Quote
Done. Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Armyaircrews.com
Checked out Huey, Chinook and Kiowa...no joy...
But under Cobra:

D troop 1-10 CAV
14 Aug 80
AH-1G
#70-15970
A/C completed mission and returned to parking area for shutdown. Armament team began servicing A/C during shutdown when team member ran into the T/R while performing his duties.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Armyaircrews.com
Checked out Huey, Chinook and Kiowa...no joy...
But under Cobra:

D troop 1-10 CAV
14 Aug 80
AH-1G
#70-15970
A/C completed mission and returned to parking area for shutdown. Armament team began servicing A/C during shutdown when team member ran into the T/R while performing his duties.
View Quote
That is amazing! Thank you VERY much!

I found a newspaper article from the day after the accident that said "gunship". I thought it was typical newspaper error since my guy said it was a Huey. It was almost 40 years ago, so memories fade...

I also found a record of an accidental death on that date, the only Army fatality in the US that day. The deceased's MOS is listed as a 68M, which is a cook? Why would a cook be tending to a helo?
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Devil Dog,
I was with the Garry Owen (if you went to the ArmyAirCrews.com site and focused on Cobra incidents, you saw our crest, unfortunately, a lot... in the Land of the Morning Calm when we had AH-1G's at that same time, and then followed on with the Thunderhorse in Fulda when we had AH-1S (modified) and AH-1S (Fully Modernized).  Rearming Cobras tended to draw more than just our armament types...as they tended to focus on the turret weapons, or the XM35 20mm on the left inboard....humping 2.75mm rockets could be, and often was a team effort...and frankly, loading a Cobra when she sits at flight idle, especially at night, was a rather emotional and exciting event.

Something you had to watch for though, unlike the UH-1H Huey or OH-58, the tail rotor on a Cobra was on the right side....just sayin, rearming a Gun, day or night was dangerous and exciting as all get out, but if unfamiliar, one could get misoriented.  I assume the incident you were concerned about happened at Pinyon Canyon?  I've never been at Carson, but we did have a guy in Fulda who was one of the few survivors of a Huey crash at Carson.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The only location info I have right now is "southern training area". Hoping the FOIA request comes through with more details. My buddy remembers someone yelling to the kid that he was going the wrong direction, so maybe inexperienced or disoriented?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Nearly all the training areas there are South of the main base.  There was a huge helo hangar just a few miles south of base though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top