Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 1:40:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
50kg grain sacks, lift 50 of them off the back of a bakkie and stack them neatly in the shed. A bit of well pump lifting as I pull the pump and the piping connected to it up from 100m down. Follow that up by coiling and carrying the well pipe and pump assembly to the bakkie and then lowering it down a different hole. Finish up the day with continued digging of a 500mm deep trench in hard, rocky desert dirt that will stretch for 2.5km. That's after lunch of course. Before lunch we do the hard work since it's cooler out. The details of each day are different but they're all about the same in terms of strenuousness.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdkTieevoAh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I had to look up those ansorge squats.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to mess with sandbags for different exercises. Actually I've migrated almost entirely to them because I can get a good workout and I take the sandbag with me in my truck. Brute Force has a daily workout and app so it's something different each day. You don't have to do it everyday, but you could sub in some workouts with a non standard weight. You can also go fairly heavy with the bag. It might give you a break for the standard stuff.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not really on topic for this thread or forum.

Congrats on your farm strength.
View Quote
The fuck it ain't. Come out to my farm and see if you can hang for even 1 hour in the African sun. If you can I'll give you a kudu hunt for free. You want strength, you gotta earn it. Earning it means working out however you can. What side benefits you're getting from the workout doesn't matter.

User has been banned from this thread
Please keep it civil and on topic.. next off topic post they get banned from the thread too

-cruze5
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I do zercher squats as part of my conjugate programming. They are distinctly unpleasant.

I did Jefferson curls with very very light weights as part of my back rehab.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Not really, but I do always get a kick out of people who have never seen a continental clean and their reaction to it lol.

I actually need to google some of those movements you mentioned.

Okay that Hackenshcmidt squat looks crazy, I gotta try that later.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've seen continental clean, but there's no Axl at my gym. I got that look from @lozstallwood2 looking at me in horror as I was doing Arthurs.

The Hackenschmidt is crazy hard. Check my IG for a video I did the Saturday.

"Hack squat " has been butchered by the fitness industry, either for the hack squat machine, or a behind the back deadlifts. B both of which I like a lot. But there was a video recently of some fit-fluencer showing "the traditional hack squat" demoed as a behind the back DL with his heels on blocks, while saying they're a useless movement.

Here

What I really need to truly learn are Olympic movements and lifts. I could also stand to have more mobility, as evidenced by my inability to pick up the bar for a Scott Lift

ETA: I need to try barbell leg press but I'm too chicken
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not really, but I do always get a kick out of people who have never seen a continental clean and their reaction to it lol.

I actually need to google some of those movements you mentioned.

Okay that Hackenshcmidt squat looks crazy, I gotta try that later.

I've seen continental clean, but there's no Axl at my gym. I got that look from @lozstallwood2 looking at me in horror as I was doing Arthurs.

The Hackenschmidt is crazy hard. Check my IG for a video I did the Saturday.

"Hack squat " has been butchered by the fitness industry, either for the hack squat machine, or a behind the back deadlifts. B both of which I like a lot. But there was a video recently of some fit-fluencer showing "the traditional hack squat" demoed as a behind the back DL with his heels on blocks, while saying they're a useless movement.

Here

What I really need to truly learn are Olympic movements and lifts. I could also stand to have more mobility, as evidenced by my inability to pick up the bar for a Scott Lift

ETA: I need to try barbell leg press but I'm too chicken

The traditional weightlifting movements are my favorite. I'm not great at them, but better than average I guess.

I'm headed to the gym in a couple hours, will try that Hackenschmidt and report back.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Awesome! I baby wait to hear how it went, it's deceptively hard. Took me a while with the bar. 135 is strictly in ego lifting range, Hackenschmidt topped at 185.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The traditional weightlifting movements are my favorite. I'm not great at them, but better than average I guess.

I'm headed to the gym in a couple hours, will try that Hackenschmidt and report back.

Awesome! I baby wait to hear how it went, it's deceptively hard. Took me a while with the bar. 135 is strictly in ego lifting range, Hackenschmidt topped at 185.

Yeah so I threw 65 on, no problem. I put 135 on and it immediately fired up my tendonitis, so yeah, definitely ego range for me at least until my tendon heals (if it ever does).
Hard lift, I kind of like it though. I'm super quad dominant so it's right up my alley.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#12]
In the winter I do coal shed walks for time with two buckets.

Takes 3 trips to fill the stove hopper up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried the barbell hack squat today.  I have to say that it is a very fun lift. I did 145 for 10,9. Got a really nice burn in the Vastus medialis which is great since my typical high bar squat doesn’t hit these.

I’m definitely adding these to my leg days!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yesterday a gym friend was helping me learn push jerks (mine are atrocious). While not unconventional I want to learn Olympic movements.

Afterwards I did overhead lockouts for the first time and worked up to 315.

When you say Hack I assume you mean a behind the back dead, and not the Hackenschmidt, correct?
I love BB Hack squat/behind the back dead. I think they're seriously under rated.

ETA: I just saw your follow on IG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yesterday a gym friend was helping me learn push jerks (mine are atrocious). While not unconventional I want to learn Olympic movements.

Afterwards I did overhead lockouts for the first time and worked up to 315.

Quoted:
I tried the barbell hack squat today.  I have to say that it is a very fun lift. I did 145 for 10,9. Got a really nice burn in the Vastus medialis which is great since my typical high bar squat doesn’t hit these.

I’m definitely adding these to my leg days!

When you say Hack I assume you mean a behind the back dead, and not the Hackenschmidt, correct?
I love BB Hack squat/behind the back dead. I think they're seriously under rated.

ETA: I just saw your follow on IG.

I thought it was called the Hack squat because of Hackenschmidt.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, behind the back hack deadlift type thing.  You were doing them for like 315 on your Instagram page. Not that strict Hackenshmidt lift you did.  

You are a strong dude. I’m impressed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is, but that's not how he did them.

There's the BB hack squat (or behind the back dead lift)

There's the hack squat machine

Then there's the original Hackenshcmidt squat which is a behind the back deadlift off the toes with a handcuff grip which is insanely harder than either.

Gotcha. Yeah, I love behind the back deads. I feel like I might be able to pull more than conventional.
View Quote

Didn’t Steve Reeves make some sort of belt apparatus to assist him in holding the bar behind him when doing those strict Hackenschmidts?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#20]
OP,
One of my sons starting competing in.conventional powerlifting as a teenager.
Got good.

Last few years, began competing in modern strongman events.

Finds it WAY more interesting, and, it has actually improved his squat and DL, both in the 7XXs.

Farmers carry, 310# per hand, 800# yoke for speed or distance, log press, bags, truck pulls, bag over bar, stones, etc

Think it gives you more functional strength.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Kelly snatches
View Quote

Another I had no idea what the hell it was.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#23]
There's a guy on IG that does a lot of those traditional lifts called atlaspowershrugged.

Seems like he does a decent amount of research into old school weightlifting also and provides writeups with good info.

Plus he does it all in his apartments parking lot lol,  so very home gym friendly
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Zerchers? Arthurs? Hackenschmidt squats?

I've been trying to tack on a Saturday "ego lifting day" to my 4 day 5/3/1 program.

I've gotten respectable at the big 4, but sticking to rigid programs has gotten boring. Been playing with a lot of random lifts to see what works for me, what's plain fun, and what gets semi famous cross fit competitor girls to introduce themselves to me to say "um... Wtf is that?"

So far, on my "ego lift" days I've screwed around with Zercher DLs, Arthur lifts, Jefferson deads, behind the back/Hack deads, one handed deads, side deads. I want to play with Ansorge squats.

Right now my big brags are 315 lb one handed deads, and a 135lb strict Hackenschmidt Squat. I have 205 Arthur, but I'd like to push that to 225, the press is the limiting factor.

Anyone else trying to see how strong you can be at random stuff?
View Quote

@TCBA_Joe

I've done quite a bit and competed some as well. Worked with quite a few strong people. In the context of later in life, mostly in my 30s.

I'm a big fan of functional strength in addition to the basic lifts. My favorites are of course atlas stones, but also farmer's carry, yoke carries, sandbag carries. My best event was always conan's wheel, assuming one can find one. The fingal finger is also lots of fine if you can find access to one of those. But like everything, all in moderation. The stress on your nervous system can be great. So very much in moderation and with care.

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Well the cool thing about strongman stuff is that you can easily make shit up using ordinary objects. Get a rope and pull your truck. Go to Lowe's and move a pallet of large bags of potting soil onto the ground, and then back onto the pallet. Or mulch. Grab awkward heavy objects and walk with them. You can make do with regular gym equipment as well. For strongman training I stopped doing regular deadlifts and started doing mostly rack pulls or from blocks, but at heavier weight, and using straps. You have to slowly build your CNS, which is good for any type of training, or life. So long as you don't overdo it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top