Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2022 8:51:46 AM EDT
Start on a guitar or just buy one and get to it?
Having a lot of fun with it.  Playing 20 to 30 minutes a night, can bend my fingers into a dozen or chords.  I do a few minutes of picking then play Irish tunes and hymns with my son who leads the melody on his violin.  Slowly expanding the songs I am familiar with, that have chords I know and can play easily, G, C, D, F, A, Em, Dm, Am, Bm.  My youngest son and I sing cows in the kitchen to the tune of Skip to my Lou for fun too.  Just now getting starting playing some scales and putting notes to finger positions on individual strings.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Never played one but Ciderville Music in Clinton, TN outside Knoxville stocks a lot of nice mandolins.  It's a destination not a web store, and well worth the visit. They are a Martin stocking dealer as well so lots to see there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I did, it's not like a guitar.  You may be better off leaving to play guitar as it's more versatile.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It's on my list. It's tuned same as a violin and has a neat sound.

Having played guitar, ukulele, violin, and played on someone else's mandolin, I would recommend starting with one and getting it down before trying another.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one with the intention of playing 'Rose Tattoo'.
Haven't gotten there yet...but honestly haven't put in the effort.
I did think it was promising that I was able to easily transpose the DCG 'Can't You See' chords from guitar to mandolin, and that song is impressive on the mando.

Be prepared, if you are the kind of person who does your own setup, these things have 8 strings and they are very high tension.  Adjusting neck bow, bridge height, intonation, and nut slot heights will wear your ass out.  All the A and E strings are as terrifying as the octave G on a 12-string.  Absolutely worth it, though, as doing all that really improved the playability.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Bought a great shape 20 year old Fender hollowbody acoustic/electric made in Korea.  My fingers don't bend for some of the chords (yet).
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I've wanted one since I first saw this video. It doesn't hurt that she's my fantasy girlfriend

Nancy Wilson Instructional Video - Battle Of Evermore on Mandolin Demonstration (1996)

But seriously I want to learn to play one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep kicking it around...just never jump
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've wanted one since I first saw this video. It doesn't hurt that she's my fantasy girlfriend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNW2XaXZIP0

But seriously I want to learn to play one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.  I notice I have my thumb way over the top of the neck, but she has hers mostly in the back of the neck, especially with multiple position changes.

Probably time for me to take a few lessons to help with technique.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a $60 Rogue to get my first mandolin recently. Don't expect much, but for less than a tank of gas I have something to tinker with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top