Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2020 4:47:24 PM EDT
My Uncle, hero, why I became a Marine passed away July 19, 2020, the anniversary of when he was injured and pronounced dead in Vietnam!

He gave me his Ka-bar that he had one him and said cut himself out of the body bag and had his fingers broken to get it out of his hands for surgery. I know that might be just a story as he had a lot of them!

Yet I have this Ka-bar and it feels different then any other I have bought of held just by the feel I can tell it's different. Yet it was his and he gave it to me after I went to Iraq in 2003 he wanted me to carry it.

I could not do that as of fear of losing it or it was stolen worse ending up in the enemy's hand. So next two tours I left it at home.

Now what he has passed and has been accepted to be buried at Arlington cemetery! I want to make sure this history lasts!

I'd want a professional to clean and protect the leather and steel on this knife! The sheath I'm sure is not original. He has done many home repairs on it but it's apart of the knife maybe not original but a part of it.

I ultimately want to take this knife and sheath and put it in a display case hanging from my wall.

Yet I want to protect it first don't want my kids or Grandkids having to go and reforge the knife buy new leather washers because I did not do my part!

Like I said the way it feels in your hand is like it always should have been there! I don't want to destroy that or the blade! So far both are in great condition and like to keep it that way!
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Post a photo of it. The leather on the grip can be done by you, just soak it with Lexol to restore the moisture.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I would leave it as it is .
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Tayous1,    didn't we just have a thread like this?    You were looking for a presentation box and discussing how to restore this Ka-BAR?   If I recall correctly, I advised including a write up of the story of the Ka-BAR so that the story wouldn't be lost for future generations that may posses the display box.  

2Hut8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top