Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2020 11:40:59 PM EDT
Curious for business owners during this protest bullshit. Are they allowed to shoot anyone coming into their business if they feel threatened? I know some places don't allow this.  I know some people trying to figure out if they should be armed to guard their business right in Nashville, or not even bother with it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You come in my place and light up a malatov you're going right back out the door full of lead. That's MY law.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest at least having CCW insurance if you plan on occupying your business property.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Atty Andrew Branca's book "The Law of Self-Defense" lists what you can do, when and where for all 50 states.

https://smile.amazon.com/Law-Self-Defense-Indispensable-Citizen/dp/1943809143

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Tennessee's "Stand your ground" laws haven't changed in several years. You have the right to self-defense not only in your home, but pretty much anywhere you are lawfully entitled to be, such as in your car, walking down the sidewalk, etc. This includes your place of business. Also, there is no duty to retreat.

Basically it hinges on whether that standard-issue "reasonable person" would agree that you acted in self-defense because you were (again, reasonably) in fear of the other person and that you felt at the time that you could suffer a serious injury or the person might kill you.

It is worth pointing out that none of the above justifies use of deadly force in defense of, or protection of, property per se.
If you confront someone intent on destroying your property and they transfer their destructive intent to you, then you're back to the preceding paragraph.

Statute(s)    

Tennessee Code, Title 39, Chapter 11, Section 39-11-611 (Self-Defense)
When the Use of Deadly Force Is Justified    

A person who's in a place lawfully and who isn't engaged in an illegal activity has no duty to retreat before using or threatening to use force that's likely to cause serious bodily injury or death if:

The person reasonably believes there's an imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death;
   The danger is real or honestly believed to be real at the time; and
   The belief of danger is founded upon reasonable grounds.

A person who uses deadly force within a residence, business, dwelling, or vehicle is presumed to have held a reasonable belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury to self, family, a member of the household or a person visiting as an invited guest when the force is used against someone who unlawfully and forcibly entered the place.
When the Use of Force Is Not Justified    

The use or threat of force isn't justified in the following situations:

If you consented to the exact force used by the other person.
   If you provoked the other person's use of unlawful force, unless: (1) you abandoned the encounter (physically or via clear communication); and (2) the other person continues to use unlawful force.
   If you resist a halt at a search, arrest, roadblock, or stop and frisk that you know is being conducted by a police officer, unless: (1) the officer uses greater force than necessary; and (2) the person using force reasonably believes that the force is immediately necessary to protect against the officer's unnecessary use of force.

Related Statute(s)    

Tennessee Code, Title 39, Chapter 11:

Section 39-11-612 (Defense of Third Person)
   Section 39-11-613 (Protection of Life or Health)
   Section 39-11-614 (Protection of Property)
   Section 39-11-615 (Protection of Third Person's Property)

Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the county and your color

Not being racist but here goes.

Wont go into the details of how I got to this situation. I asked an officer "what if I had just shot the sonofabitch?"  Officer said "you'd go before a grand jury in Shelby county as a white guy who shot a black kid." "don't matter what the law says you'd get charged"
"
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on the county and your color

Not being racist but here goes.

Wont go into the details of how I got to this situation. I asked an officer "what if I had just shot the sonofabitch?"  Officer said "you'd go before a grand jury in Shelby county as a white guy who shot a black kid." "don't matter what the law says you'd get charged"
"
View Quote

Shelby Counties DA is a c*nt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top