Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2021 9:10:27 PM EDT
Favorite brands. What to look for or look out for.

Trying out the ADJ MyDMX3 software without any lights to get a feel for the capabilities. Thinking of going with a laptop rather than a dedicated controller.

Any brands to avoid?

What about light stands?

Thanks for any responses.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
ETC has the Nomad, which basically turns your laptop into a full lightboard. But you pay per DMX universe, so a large modern rig with LED instruments (and heaven forbid, movers) means you could easily be into 4-5 universes in a moderate-sized hall. I've heard Nomad doesn't necessarily play well with others - the best bet is to have a designated laptop for the light rig.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I think one Universe will be enough for a while. Doing small Rock bands in bars and small halls.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a simple setup for our bar band.  A Chauvet  70 controller and two led wash lights, A Wash Fx and Wash Fx2.  

I didn't want to drag a laptop around. The controller is easy enough to program.  I've got probably a dozen or so "scenes" that I programmed into various "chases".  

I get it set up, pick my "chases", and hit the "run" button while it's on blackout mode.  I set the time per scene and transition times with the sliders.  Really simple.  When it's time to start, I disable the blackout and it lights up.  

That's about all I'd want to use.  It's simple and relatively cheap, and I understand enough to be functional.

My speaker stands serve as light stands. Lights are clamped to them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top