Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2020 EDT
I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flak and get teased for this post, but I have always had a blast shooting Nerf guns when I was little. But they are still fun today. The biggest reason is that they are affordable for any working adult regardless of income, they are fun and easy to modify. You don't need high grade metals and parts, but can use common hardware tools, and epoxy, plastics and other materials you can obtain from a hobby shop. If all you're familiar with are the cheapo Hasbro Nerf toys you see in the toy aisle, then keep an open mind about it. There are way more companies than just Hasbro that make blasters of these sorts. And most of the smaller and more specialized companies make some high quality products designed for adults, with adult level performance, power and accuracy. Even among the common Walmart, K-Mart grade Nerf blasters, many in the community severely Mod those blasters to include stronger springs, better seals, specialized pumps with brass fittings, brass or aluminum barrels, even muzzle devices with rifling to stabilize the projectile. As far as stock, un-modified blasters go, Nerf's Rival line is probably the best you can get, designed for an older crowd, with more adult ergos and better accuracy. But moving beyond those kid's toys, there are Foam dart guns that can effectively hit torso, or even dinner plate sized targets out to 50 feet, using iron sights or magnified optics. But they can get pricey.

I just ordered a CEDA-S from Evike.com, made by Jet-Blaster. It reportedly has excellent build quality, has a picatinny railed top for a BUIS and optic (Yes, this is actually accurate enough to utilize sights), has a rifled barrel and obtains about 120 FPS out of the box. It breaks down with two take-down pins like an AR. And with a simple spring upgrade, can reach about 190 FPS, at which point it can hit a metal plate at about 50 feet consistently.

If you want to go up in price, there is the Xzeus2 with the Omega internal kit. It can accurately hit a man sized target at about 30 meters. There is the Frontline Caliburn, which has a muzzle velocity of 300 FPS, and can effectively utilize magnified optics to hit torso sized targets at 30 meters. It's sold by a group of people that design and develop custom projects.

There are some surprisingly effective stuff out there. Great to teach a younger person how to effectively aim a rifle. It's fun, and it allows you to get realistic target practice indoors. It's not like airsoft; it's not pretending to be something it isn't, so there's some innocence to it. But allows greater flexibility in terms of modifying because you can use plastic to make whatever you want.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is an example of one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJawWukCiLc
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs more power.

What happens when a NERF dart breaks the SPEED OF SOUND?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The one I linked above shoots at 300 FPS. And there are some that shoot faster. At that point, you're starting to approach the velocities of some pellet guns. I'd say that's plenty of power for a nerf blaster. Enough to hit a paper plate consistently at 30-40 meters. Definitely not safe to shoot at a person. But accurate enough for indoor target practice at small targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top