Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2022 11:12:10 AM EDT
My now deceased father was a patten attorney for Magnavox in the late 70s and early 80s and was part of the Odyssey game console project doing most of the attendees work for it and for his efforts he got 2 of them, one that was opened and used one that was not and they were both from production before they were released for sale to the public.  My mother recently gave me one that was in the original shipping box addressed to my father.  I have no use for this thing and it takes up a bit of space so I am looking to see what this thing is worth to the "right" collector.  Anyone have any idea what it could it be worth?  I have been told there is a company (the name escapes me) that would X-ray to confirm it is intact and then seal it in a permanent clear case, but I have heard that this is expensive and if it is worth less that the actual accrediting its not really worth it.  So what does the Arfcom game nerds say?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a game nerd but I think PSA would do it.

Might be pricy,

Also I think PSA got in trouble for fake authentication or at least the guy on pawn stars did.

Use brave search engine for info , not a Gun forum
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:04:26 AM EDT
[#2]
@fullautoguy

It would be neat to at least see come pictures of what you have, and if you have access to the opened console. Some of the parts in the unopened box are EXTREMELY rare and would be of interest to museums hunting consumable parts like the original EverReady batteries that came with the consoles and documentation.

At the bottom of this page, there is an email to a guy that has done work dating and cataloging these early consoles. He may have a better idea who you could contact and the best method of preserving it for a hardcore vintage console collector.

https://www.pong-story.com/odyssey_dating.htm
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@fullautoguy

It would be neat to at least see come pictures of what you have, and if you have access to the opened console. Some of the parts in the unopened box are EXTREMELY rare and would be of interest to museums hunting consumable parts like the original EverReady batteries that came with the consoles and documentation.

At the bottom of this page, there is an email to a guy that has done work dating and cataloging these early consoles. He may have a better idea who you could contact and the best method of preserving it for a hardcore vintage console collector.

https://www.pong-story.com/odyssey_dating.htm
View Quote

Thanks sir, when I get home I’ll get a pic or 2
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
bumpdate!
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#5]
@Fullautoguy

Any pics?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@Fullautoguy

Any pics?
View Quote

Sorry for the long delay in this

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 3:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I had one of those as my first gaming system. Played the heck out if Showdown in 2040 ad and global conquest...or something like that.
Fun system.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a FYI- If it really is a pre-production/engineering sample there could be legal issues for selling it. Depending on the exact situation, most earlier samples are still considered company property.
I would suggest checking out that situation before you try to sell it.  In your case, it seems like it was a regular production run and possibly with a very low serial number, so potential value increase right there.

On the other hand, extremely rare pieces of hardware and or games (even Eng/Dev/Demo stuff) can sell for ridiculous amounts if you find the right collector.

The whole card/video game/box collector market entered a huge bubble during covid and I haven't really been following what has happened the last year or so.
If it is a really rare piece with high demand, getting it graded or authenticated somehow could drastically increase the price.

I would think I guy that has the hobby of documenting the history of early gaming would give you a pretty realistic idea of what it is potentially worth or at least get you in contact with someone who knows.
I would try to contact that guy at pong-story and see what he thinks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 6:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just a FYI- If it really is a pre-production/engineering sample there could be legal issues for selling it. Depending on the exact situation, most earlier samples are still considered company property.
I would suggest checking out that situation before you try to sell it.  In your case, it seems like it was a regular production run and possibly with a very low serial number, so potential value increase right there.

On the other hand, extremely rare pieces of hardware and or games (even Eng/Dev/Demo stuff) can sell for ridiculous amounts if you find the right collector.

The whole card/video game/box collector market entered a huge bubble during covid and I haven't really been following what has happened the last year or so.
If it is a really rare piece with high demand, getting it graded or authenticated somehow could drastically increase the price.

I would think I guy that has the hobby of documenting the history of early gaming would give you a pretty realistic idea of what it is potentially worth or at least get you in contact with someone who knows.
I would try to contact that guy at pong-story and see what he thinks.
View Quote

Who is “I Guy”
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#10]
After looking at the back of the box I found the serial number.  So I looked online to see what’s what but all I could find was stuff for the first series odyssey console.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Contact Pawn Stars
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Contact Pawn Stars
View Quote

Look to see what they have sold for on eBay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top